Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: What movie did you watch lately?

Re: What movie did you watch lately?

Last movie I saw was Seventh Moon, which is about a newly married couple on their honeymoon in China (They also are going to visit the groom's (who is a Chinese-American) parents).

They are there during the "Hungry Ghost" festival, which according to legend, allows the damned in Hell one night out among the living. After a lot of celebrating, they fall asleep as their guide is driving them home. When the girl (Amy Smart) wakes up, the guide has gotten lost and is about to go to a village out in the country, but is acting very strange and nervous. When he doesn't come back after about an hour, the girl wakes up her husband, and they go investigate. Mayhem then ensues.

I liked the movie, as I am a big fan of the horror genre. The main characters feel real to me, and I can't remember a cliched "horror movie decision" that they made, as I would probably react in much the same way. The story relies more on subtlety than gore (not to say there isn't any gore, but it's just well placed), and the "demons" are very effective and unsettling. One of my main problems with the film is the camera work. It's a low budget film, but that doesn't mean I want to feel as if the director is holding the camera running with them. TOO. MUCH. SHAKY. CAM. I loved the foreshadowing used in a scene earlier in the film that sets up the finale and a decision made by one of the characters.

Overall, I thought it was well worth the dollar I spent on it. In fact, most of the problem I have with the film involves the camera work, and not the film itself.

8/10 (it lost a whole point just for the camera work)

Quote Originally Posted by ragecage View Post
    Frankly anything after Star Trek this year has sort of been a disappointment. Theres a few decent flicks, but Star Trek was really the first action movie and it was the best of 2009.
    Hitler highlights my problem with Star Trek.

I loved Star Trek so once again I say **** Hitler haha

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDuck1989 View Post
    I loved Star Trek so once again I say **** Hitler haha
    Yep better to have something than nothing. I liked the freshness of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

Quote Originally Posted by ragecage View Post
    Yep better to have something than nothing. I liked the freshness of it.
    Sorry rage, but if this was the something, I'd rather they just let it die.

It's okay though, Picard took care of it, but dies...

Also, Picard hands it to Kirk.

Quote Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
    Sorry rage, but if this was the something, I'd rather they just let it die.
    Its cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

lern 2 english

I never watched the show. Probably never will. So to me the movie was awesome pieces of awesome

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDuck1989 View Post
    I never watched the show. Probably never will. So to me the movie was awesome pieces of awesome
    Yeah, if Star Trek had never existed, I probably wouldn't have as much problem with it.

I would recommend DS9 myself (check out "Far Beyond the Stars" and "In the Pale Moonlight" on Side Reel). Check out a fan made trailer on it. A lot more dark than TOS or TNG and more episodic. The last 3 seasona were all about a quadrant wide war.

I'm with Free on this one.

I appreciate Abrahms' piece, I really do. I didn't need it in ADD-vision to appeal to the teeny boppers out there, or the uber-ice creature CGI battles. Despite those, he did some fantastic work on the project.

But using time travel, blowing up planets central to the theme of countless books, movies, episodes - just unnecessary. Not respectful.

Too much catering to idiots lured in by CGI, too little respect for an awe-inspiring franchise.

And no counselor Troi? Any Star Trek without Counselor Troi loses two points. The epitome of hotness.

Free - nice vids, I enjoyed mucho.

Quote Originally Posted by gleklufdshlaw View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have all the answers...

Watched 'V for Vendetta' on the internet a few weeks ago. Watched 'Frequency' with my girlfriend last weekend, which is a great movie by the way. Hopefully gonna go see something in theaters this weekend.
    Active Dynasty
    An Alternate History Dynasty - The 1989 Red Sox

Paused Dynasty
    Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

Ryan is No. 0. He doesn't make the list, since he's clearly on a higher plane of existence than all other quarterbacks, living or dead. He is ... teh messiah.
    I'm not the only one who knows the truth about Matt Ryan.

Yeah, I loved Frequency as well.

I watched 'Up', that Pixar movie. Very good, girlfriend was tearful. It was surprisingly emotional in how fast it went through the old man's life. Pretty good, pretty touching.

I also watched The Mutant Chronicles. It had horrible B-movie all over it, but with Ron Perlman, the guy from Punisher, and a cameo by Malkovich, I thought maybe it was redeeming. Alas, it was horrible. Mutants spawn from inside the earth, and have massive hooks/blades for right arms...all of them. All they do is stab people in the head...pretty gruesome, and stupid as all get out.

Finally, I came home from a performance with my band around 2am, and caught a foreign film, Worlds Apart, on Showtime. Tells the story of a Jehovahs Witness girl who falls in love with a normal guy, and how her family pressures and persecutes her for leaving their beliefs behind. So sad, and so close to home. Great movie. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by gleklufdshlaw View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have all the answers...

going to see The Blind Side tomorrow
    Lakers/Cardinals/Patriots/Penguins

Quote Originally Posted by DarthJaker View Post
    going to see The Blind Side tomorrow
    This is off topic since the thread asks which movie did you watch lately not which movie will you watch tomorrow.