Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1125

Thread: What movie did you watch lately?

Re: What movie did you watch lately?

Saving Mr. Banks.

Tom Hanks. Disney.

Yeah.

Boring, boring, boring for the first half.
    Watchable for the second.

Tom Hanks as Walt Disney, I could have played his part.
    Collin Farrel. Could have played his part too. But less handsomely.

Emma Thompson. I wouldn't have played her part well. She was by far the most interesting part of this move.

C+
    The average movie is boring and leaves my mind wandering. This one managed to get my attention towards the end.

Clerks: 8.5/10

I would have loved this a few years ago, when I was deeply into the grunge scene. Now that I've realized that there is far more to life, I was somewhat disappointed. Granted, I also don't remember the second half of the film very well, so that does make it a little difficult to judge adequately. What I can recall were far too many attempts to appeal to "grungers" aesthetically and with the soundtrack, and a subsequent lack of depth as a result. The lead actors are pretty amusing, but Jeff Anderson's character is one of those generic "wise stoners".

NOTE: I just looked up the plot on wikipedia, and it actually did end as I remembered it, so ignore that bit.

The Great Gatsby (2013)

There was a relatively recent Gatsby flick, with Redford as the titular Gatz, so making another - especially given the roaring 20s context - seemed a bit odd to me. This one is stylistic, flashy, a lot of bang but a bit light in some places that count. The visuals are lush and incredible, which might be expected of Luhrmann (Romeo + Juliet, Moulin Rouge). The green-screen ness of it is sometimes distracting, as Macguire or DiCaprio is the only real thing in a sea of CGI. The editing is what bothered me though - during drive scenes, or any scenes of extended movement, Luhrmann cuts all over the place, and very often - VERY often - the actors' don't sync up with their lines. It takes quite a bit of that for the average viewer to notice, and even more to be irritating, but this flick does it.

Other things are needlessly reinforced - Macguire is both narrating, and in every scene, AND having his words appear on-screen AS he says them, which is a bit much. Themes from the book are enforced, almost too much - Old Sport, the eyes of that oculist...in one way it's true to the source material, but in another way, just overdone to annoyance. That, the poor editing, and the preference for current house and rap music over music of the actual era are all negatives in my opinion - though not enough to sink it as a whole.

I had problems with the Gatsby story from the start - how did bootlegging get him SO rich, and how did all that, plus war hero, happen in 5 short years - but the biggest problem I had is, why Daisy? This vapid, not-that-interesting blond chick that can't figure out her life or have enough strength to take a stand on anything...why is that the obsession of this guy? A return to the past, to those ideal days, the love and freedom...he could have that with someone new. I know the point of it is his true immaturity (or eternal hopefulness, etc), but jeez, it's hard for me to fathom a guy that had been all over and done so much still being hooked on a girl like that.

B-

Europa Report

A lower-budget sci-fi flick that's heavier on the science, at least a bit. A team of 7 astronauts is sent to Jupiter's moon, Europa, to take samples and test for any kind of life form. It hearkens back to earlier space flicks, with some comparing it to Alien or even 2001. It does enforce the fear and emptiness of space in a great way, and the building fear is fantastic. I can't say it's an Alien or 2001, but it's a great lower budget entry in the same vein.

B

Dead Man Down

Colin Farrell, Terrence Howard, and Noomi Rapace are in this oddball crime drama. Mainly under the radar, despite being directed by the original Dragon Tattoo director, I think it was direct to DVD/Netflix. It's a decent flick, nothing special, but some tense moments before a silly climactic all out gun battle. I want to see Terrence Howard do some amazing acting...I wish he had stuck around in the Iron Man flicks instead of being squeezed out. He does the best he can with what he's got here, but this film doesn't have it, despite some attempts at depth and performance.

C-

R.I.P.D.

I was expecting just about nothing from this - a Men In Black clone, CGI baddies, terrible plot and not much in acting. After the bad box office and reception, what else was there to it?

Well, I was actually pleasantly surprised, given those low expectations. Jeff Bridges is pretty cartoony as the old west-style gunslinger, but it adds some gravity. Ryan Reynolds is his normal goofy self. And Kevin Bacon, who I didn't even know was in the flick, is good. The story isn't anything special, the CGI monsters running all around are irritating, and the side characters all being so useless and expendable is a trademark of a poor flick.

Still, it at least has a bit of decent character acting, and isn't too bad for brainless waste of 2 hours.

C-

Monsters University

Oh man, the first movie was such awesome fun. I remember seeing it with my girlfriend, over a decade ago now? She was so into it I got her one of those Disney animation cell packages. Seeing those same characters is great, and this movie stays entertaining, with the additions of Charlie Day and Helen Mirren. It's not the same magic as the first, but the animation is great and its a decent, family-friendly ride.

C+

White House Down

So I saw Olympus Has Fallen, and gave it a decent review (C+/B-). I thought it would easily outdo the Jamie Foxx/Channing Tatum version of the same movie, since Tatum is Tatum, and Foxx playing a straight man president was a stretch IMO. But actually, this movie had me entertained, from the excellent James Woods, to all kinds of supporting actors, and of course the comedic bits that made it a bit more reminiscent of Die Hard than I expected. Of course the two leads are invincible, all the nameless regular Secret Service agents are all murdered in minutes, and the bad guys have accounted for everything up until the last 20 minutes...this was slightly less simple in OHF, giving it the win. In this case, the plot holes were substantial, like the ordered strike on the White House while all the baddies are still inside...and how that hacker guy exploded in the tunnels (maybe I missed that part). The daughter being superwoman, waving the flag to stop the bomb strike - let alone the plane SEEING IT while en route to dropping a bomb - was weak sauce, and a poor The Rock imitation.

Still, this might have been more entertaining than OHF...not as good of a flick, when you think about it, but still entertaining. I don't want to like that, though.

C

So this is a movie that exists and I have watched

Name:  MV5BMjMzNzc1MDYwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg4NjI2MDE@._V1_SX214_.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  23.2 KB

If you've ever wondered what would happen when cheesy martial arts meets baseball meets Nazi's, then watch this movie.

If you've never wondered that then I'd stay away.

C+
    I was engaged in this move solely to see what ridiculous thing would happen next.

If any one watches/has watched this and can explain the chocolate bar scene to me, it would be much appreciated.

I finally got around to watching The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I was blown away. This is by far the best coming of age movie I have ever seen. The characters are real, the acting top notch, and an excellent story to go along with it. I don't think that there is anyone who couldn't relate to something that the teens in this movie experience. I have to put this movie in my Top 5 movies of all time.

A+

I went and saw American Hustle yesterday. It truly was a uniquely done movie. The acting performances by Christian Bale, Jennifer Lawrence, and Amy Adams were phenomenal. Bradley Cooper did a great job as well, although his character wasn't as dynamic. This was totally a fun movie, with so many twists and turns in the plot, that it was really unpredictable. Plus, Christian Bale has the worst comb-over ever!!

A

I sat through THE WOLVERINE on an international flight this week. I wasn't expecting much - a japanese storyline, intrigue, maybe something better than the Wolverine Origins flick.

No such luck.

This crap fest had a few interesting fight scenes, but the plot was confusing and not all there...this poison chick is there, don't know why. This girl can see the future, sort of, but she's wrong a lot...Wolverine is almost vulnerable, but he can claw around in his own heart...ugh.

Crap fest.

Nebraska.

My grandfather wanted to see it so I went with him. Supposed to be a discover yourself by discovering others heart-tugger with Saturday Night Live's Will Forte. Pretty slow-paced but had some cute/funny/touching moments.

C

The Band's Trip

One of my favorite movies. An Egyptian Police Band gets lost in Israel. Similarly paced to Nebraska with lots of awkward moments between the members of the band and the Israeli's they meet. It really nails the hospitality that I've typically found when traveling as well as the awkward moments you can have with cultural and language differences but also the similarities between people regardless of the geopolitical area in which they happen to have been born and/or raised.

A-

City of God

Another foreign film - this one Brazilian. Tells the stories of a group of kids growing up in the slums near Rio de Janeiro and how the desperation of their situation is reflected in the macrocosm and how gangs and drug dealing are not that much different than armies and other forms of commerce.

C+

Her

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm15392993...9?ref_=tt_ov_i

Great movie set in the near future (15 years or so), about a guy who falls in love with his AI operating system. One of the rare movies that is both entertaining and thought provoking, it had me questioning the definitions of love, companionship, intimacy, and even the definition of what it means to "be". Highly recommended!

A+

Elysium

Well it was better than Oblivion. This Matt Damon future fest has some fun future combat elements and sci-fi appeal, but heads more down the class warfare path a la District 9 (no surprise given its director). It loses a bit in this day and age for being another guy-with-exoskeleton movie - something that seems much less amazing 150 years in the future, with an orbital paradise. The script makes things waaay too simple - guy gets a death sentence in 5 days via radiation, lucks into that perfect opportunity, lucks into an instant superman exoskeleton, that opportunity turns into a one-in-a-million shot to change the world. It kind of seems like this shouldn't have worked on 4 or 5 different levels - mainly how a guy with radiation poisoning, whose body is falling apart, is able to keep up with and beat up all the hardened baddies.

Tons of bonus points here tho, for Jodie Foster's surprising role, for the henchman bad guys having more mettle and use than most (one takes down Damon while another takes down his girl and her child - AFTER their boss eats a grenade), for the ending, and for fun visuals and directing. It's just a little too simple how everything works out, how the security forces disappear thanks to 3 bad guys, how useless the president is...its kind of lazy and cliche. Still, better than Oblivion! In tone and plot, if not visuals.

B

Fast and Furious 6

Well, its big and action packed, and the stunts are pretty great. If you're all about car crashes and physics-defying people-flying-through-the-air stuff, this is your movie.

Eventually it starts to grate on you though - from the skinny protagonist taking on three hardened inmates with shivs and not getting a scratch...to the Rock diving off a bridge onto a moving car with no injury...to 3 or 4 of them totaling their vehicles and walking back into base camp without a bruise...to Vin Diesel being shot once, and not even having that EFFECT him in a fistfight 2 and 3 days later. Ugh.

Then there's the plot holes...massive ones, ones that you can't avoid thinking about in the middle of the action. Why is this airstrip 10 miles long? Why does the army have no one of value or expertise aside from the Rock? Why can The Rock hold a gun to an officer's head without repercussion? How did they know a plane was going to be involved, and know ahead of time that several grappling hook guns would be necessary? Why can a group of 8 car thieves think of strategy that a military industrial complex cannot? Why was a valuable part stored IN A TANK on a convoy?? An easily capture by 3 person tank, too.

It's fun to watch with amazing stunts, but poor acting (Gina Carano stands out as especially wooden), a plot focused on big action without reasoning, and titanic plotholes doom this to a B-movie at best. $788 million worth of B-movie, ugh.

C+

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Kind of crazy that this book is just a few years old. Wife wanted to see it. Dystopian future, girl and boy dragged back in to fight, this time with people of all ages. Savage beatings and terrible outfits/makeup/modification are all the rage. Battling CGI animals this time, while the 24 contestants die faster and easier than I thought possible.

What is odd is the depth and breadth of acting talent involved. The first one sported Harrelson and Sutherland, of course, and Elizabeth Banks is also back, with the oddball dead-eyed Lenny Kravitz. Stanley Tucci is great as his over the top character (he's great no matter what, really). But this flick inserts Jeffrey Wright and Philip Seymour Hoffman, two serious, all-kinds-of-award-winning actors. No surprise that they both figure into the things to come in the third installment - oh wait, the third is broken up into two parts!! Harry Potter style...ugh. So I can be dragged to both, and the studio can make $700mil in profit TWICE. Arrrgh

Its an okay adventure movie, nothing particularly amazing, but its got the teenage market cornered. Lawrence is great, a useful female protagonist outside Alien is great, and overall it works, but...it doesn't seem markedly original or amazing. A dash of Survivor, a bit of Lord of the Flies, the standard dystopian future, and then a bunch of funny names and oddball looking people...how that translates into a 4-billion dollar franchise is a bit over my head. Its watchable and okay, with some thrills.

C+

Quote Originally Posted by Alloutwar View Post
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Kind of crazy that this book is just a few years old. Wife wanted to see it. Dystopian future, girl and boy dragged back in to fight, this time with people of all ages. Savage beatings and terrible outfits/makeup/modification are all the rage. Battling CGI animals this time, while the 24 contestants die faster and easier than I thought possible.

What is odd is the depth and breadth of acting talent involved. The first one sported Harrelson and Sutherland, of course, and Elizabeth Banks is also back, with the oddball dead-eyed Lenny Kravitz. Stanley Tucci is great as his over the top character (he's great no matter what, really). But this flick inserts Jeffrey Wright and Philip Seymour Hoffman, two serious, all-kinds-of-award-winning actors. No surprise that they both figure into the things to come in the third installment - oh wait, the third is broken up into two parts!! Harry Potter style...ugh. So I can be dragged to both, and the studio can make $700mil in profit TWICE. Arrrgh

Its an okay adventure movie, nothing particularly amazing, but its got the teenage market cornered. Lawrence is great, a useful female protagonist outside Alien is great, and overall it works, but...it doesn't seem markedly original or amazing. A dash of Survivor, a bit of Lord of the Flies, the standard dystopian future, and then a bunch of funny names and oddball looking people...how that translates into a 4-billion dollar franchise is a bit over my head. Its watchable and okay, with some thrills.

C+
    I probably would've agreed with your C+ grade if it were the first Hunger Games movie, but I actually thought the sequel was an improvement, as far as the story within the story. The political subplot and implications added to what was a pretty straightforward movie in the first go round. Jennifer Lawrence is obviously great, as far as I'm concerned she is the best actress of her generation. I am kinda bummed that they are stretching out the last book into 2 films - I hate when Hollywood just goes for the obvious money grab, but if they can keep things interesting over 2 more films, I'll be happy. I'd give Catching Fire a B+.

It was an improvement in budget and casting, definitely...production values were up...I was just engaged in the first film somewhat, with the life and death struggle...whereas this one lost me there. Something about the last third just didn't have the same appeal - like despite upping the ante by having the kids in the arena with these fully-grown, proven killers, the actual risk was waaaay down somehow. Peeta can kill a guy underwater (how??), these veteran combatants get axed in the gut or shot with an error and are insta-killed while granny escapes the opening bloodbath...its just too convenient.

Stand Up Guys

Al Pacino, Alan Arkin, Christopher Walken...just watching these three guys talk could be worthwhile entertainment. But when it devolves into boner-in-hospital scenes, prostitution gags, and the sudden death of Arkin (we call it a "Little Miss Sunshine" in the biz), it seems kind of campy. The oldies can of course lose the police, break into stores, knock out bad guys with one punch, and stand in the street shooting without so much as a scratch.

It has its fun moments, mostly in conversation as Pacino tries to extend his life and Walken contemplates having to kill his old friend. Its borderline watchable, but nothing like it could have been.

D+

Guardians of the Galaxy! $95mil opening weekend in August, not bad. They might have made Chris Pratt just a hair too goofy...the 80s cassette tapes, the dancing, the general goofiness. He's awesome, of course, but it's tough to walk that line between Han Solo badassery and self-aware goofiness...he can do it fine, but the writing angled a little too much for the goof side.

There are all kinds of questions...why are most aliens just humans, why do they all speak english, why does one speak english with a SOUTHERN ACCENT, whats the deal with the collector, why did no one know about the orb until just this second when everyone suddenly knew about it, why is he Drax the Destroyer when he barely destroys anything...oh well. Groot and Rocket were handled perfectly, so the weaker sides are no biggy.

Proud, a 2004 docu-drama about the first african-american crew on a WWII naval ship in the Atlantic. Cheesy as all heck, like a TV movie really, but the subject matter is entirely factual and accurate, and it was very interesting to learn about. Ossie Davis narrates and stars, and died shortly after it was made.