Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bryce Harper officially in Jr. College

Bryce Harper officially in Jr. College

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...r-college.html

Cool Harper, thanks for not doing this last year so the Mariners could grab Strasburg.

Re: Bryce Harper officially in Jr. College

I hope he busts.

Quote Originally Posted by asianinvasion View Post
    I hope he busts.
    Why?

What's with all the hate on top draft prospects? It's happening with Strasburg too. Why would you hope a player busts? If you love baseball, you shouldn't be hoping for young players to fail to reach their potential.

Agreed. Is it a jealousy/envy thing just because of the money they'll get? If so, why not hate the owners that will pay them? Who would turn down that amount of money that either of them will get?

I think it's because they are angry they won't get him
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    For some reason I thought rockies was a big black guy.

I was wrong.
    Back at this dynasty thing again: Resurrecting The Rockies: 2001 Onward

Nats get one of the best pitching prospects in a long time, and one of the best hitting prospects. It's a good thing they didn't land Teixeira.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    Agreed. Is it a jealousy/envy thing just because of the money they'll get? If so, why not hate the owners that will pay them? Who would turn down that amount of money that either of them will get?
    I think it comes from being put off by all the insane hype and overreaction..and I can understand it. I don't necessarily want him to be a huge failure, but given the ridiculous hype some of the prospects get..when they fall short....I laugh. Not at the players failure, but at the people that hype them up so much because they saw a video clip of him hitting a HR really far or whatever.

I hope he does well, but if he falls short, I'm not going to feel bad about it or feel sorry for him.
    My runs created per 27 posts (RC/27p) was 12.4 last year. I should've been MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Why?

What's with all the hate on top draft prospects? It's happening with Strasburg too. Why would you hope a player busts? If you love baseball, you shouldn't be hoping for young players to fail to reach their potential.
    So you are OK with a high school sophomore/junior dropping out and getting his GED to go to JUCO so he can get drafted a year earlier? Its not like he's real poor and needs the money. If he was to bust, there is nothing else to fall back on. He has a GED. So what. So do millions of other people trying to find work at a McDonalds or Burger King.

I hope they do well, it brings more excitement to the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I'm an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    lern 2 english

So you are OK with a high school sophomore/junior dropping out and getting his GED to go to JUCO so he can get drafted a year earlier?
    Yes. Absolutely.

Its not like he's real poor and needs the money.
    He wants to start his career earlier. So what?

If he was to bust, there is nothing else to fall back on.
    And you're hoping that that happens? Seems a little effed up to hope that that happens to somebody...particularly somebody you've never met.

So you are OK with a high school sophomore/junior dropping out and getting his GED to go to JUCO so he can get drafted a year earlier? Its not like he's real poor and needs the money. If he was to bust, there is nothing else to fall back on. He has a GED. So what. So do millions of other people trying to find work at a McDonalds or Burger King.
    Drop the guilt tripping. He has a GED and Major League talent. If those people trying to find work at McDonald's or Burger King had it, they could do the same. We all have different talents and abilities. The people working at a fast food joint can make the choice to get their GED or enroll in college.

He's doing what's best for him and his family. It's a personal choice. If he bombs, he deals with the consequences. If I had the talent, I would strongly consider the same thing. Don't be upset that you don't have the talent to play Major League Baseball. I don't think any of us on here do. If Major League Baseball and/or the Players' Association is so outraged by it, they could close that loophole in the next collective bargaining agreement, but it's not, so players have the freedom to make that choice.

It should be noted further that every player drafted after high school then signs and doesn't go to college and then busts is basically in the exact same position as Harper would be....so I don't see what the big deal is... except that Harper is likely going to get a lot more money off the bat than most of those guys. Probably enough to set him up pretty well regardless of the outcome of the rest of his career.

Exactly... I don't know of anybody who WOULDN'T do that.

If I'm a top high school prospect, I want the biggest signing bonus and/or contract I can get in case I DON'T make it (calling Boras, Scott Boras). Then at least I have the money in my bank account to go back to college, start a business, take care of my family, or something else.

Major League teams can choose to pass up a player who is too much of a risky investment. It's always been that way.

If I could do it again I'd get my GED as soon as I could and quit wasting time in high school. I don't have MLB talent, spending time in HS you could be spending actually training for your career isn't time well spent in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    If I could do it again I'd get my GED as soon as I could and quit wasting time in high school. I don't have MLB talent, spending time in HS you could be spending actually training for your career isn't time well spent in my book.
    Agreed 110%.