Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pinch hitting with a pitcher

Pinch hitting with a pitcher

Maybe there is a way to do this, but I have yet to figure it out.
    There have been games -- usually in the late or extra innings -- where using a pitcher as a pinch hitter would make more sense than burning one of my bench players.
    It might be because I have some good hitting pitchers -- The Cardinals use Adam Wainwright as a pinch hitter maybe a couple of times a month -- or I have two outs and don't want to burn one of my bench players so I can use him later.

Re: Pinch hitting with a pitcher

ya, carlos zambrano pinch hits all the time... so does micah owings... i love pitchers that can hit well...

There's no way to do this now, but I would like to see it implemented since I would use it a lot.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

Absolutely need this. There are too many good hitting pitchers these days to ignore, and it's quite common to use a pitcher as a pinch-runner. I carry three lead-footed catchers and could really use a good pinch-runner.

Absolutely need to do this because 'if it's in the game, it's in the game'

Agree, there's definitely a need for this. Another scenario...not sure if this would apply as much to Mogul, but in general starting pitchers can bunt much better than relievers, and I know I've seen a manager bring in an SP with less than 2 outs just to lay down a bunt that the reliever he subbed for couldn't handle.
    I saw Andre Dawson. And let me tell you something. There were only two players in my lifetime whose teammates held them in awe. One was Mickey Mantle. The other was Andre Dawson. If you were around, if you saw them play, you know that. But the numbers don't tell you that.
    - Jerome Holtzman

In addition, you should be able to make a pitcher into a position player (like Ruth or Ankiel) or vice versa.

you can do that in commish mode but id like to be able to do that out of commish mode as well

Quote Originally Posted by Steve13 View Post
    you can do that in commish mode but id like to be able to do that out of commish mode as well
    agreed

I am more likely to want to use a pitcher as a pinch runner than as a hitter.
    It would be nice to be able to do this also.

Not sure why you'd want to since the majority of pitchers are EXTREMELY slow (at least according to their speed rating) and it would increase the chance they could end up injured, but to each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    Not sure why you'd want to since the majority of pitchers are EXTREMELY slow (at least according to their speed rating) and it would increase the chance they could end up injured, but to each his own.
    The ratings are wrong. Pitchers certainly should not be much of a threat to steal, but they are often faster than catchers, etc. and are a much better bet to score from second, etc. Teams in real life do use young pitchers as pinch-runners; injuries on the basepaths aren't that common if you're not trying to steal. Having every pitcher rated in the 50's for speed is absurd for any purpose other than stealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Logan View Post
    The ratings are wrong. Pitchers certainly should not be much of a threat to steal, but they are often faster than catchers, etc. and are a much better bet to score from second, etc. Teams in real life do use young pitchers as pinch-runners; injuries on the basepaths aren't that common if you're not trying to steal. Having every pitcher rated in the 50's for speed is absurd for any purpose other than stealing.
    Agreed. Maybe someone better at baseball-reference than I am can show that pitchers do, occasionally, appear as pinch runners

Just used retro-sheet to look at the Cubs record from last year. Only looking at their home games (just the way the files are broken up), they used Jason Marquis as a pinch-runner 6 times last year - more than anyone else on the team. Ronny Cedeno was second with 5.

Similarly, Jair Jurrjens was a pinch runner 5 times in home games for the Braves. It isn't very common, but common enough that it should be added. It also seems to be a lot more common than pinch-hitting with pitchers (though those are a little more memorable).