Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Managers?

Managers?

I'm sure this has to have been brought up before...what about having manangers for each team, and maybe even the minors. heck you could put your retired franchise player to good use in a-ball. I know techinically you're doing your own manager's job with your team, but couldn't clay set it up so terry francona lets his slumping players stay where they are, but ozzie guillen yanks them after just a week of struggles? I'm not a coder, so I don't know how to do that, but I know that I have a basketball text sim that uses coaches and their tendencies to influence who plays, who doesnt, and what happens. The team Earl Weaver manages is going to be designed to hit home runs, but the team Tom Kelly or Ron Gardenhire manages will be a small ball team. The potential for this is very high, and I'm honestly surprised its not in the game. I'm sure theres a good reason, I just haven't found it. I know your stat geeks, but managers DO have a effect on the game!

Re: Managers?

I think this'd be a cool addition. One that's been brought up a few times. But I think it is a ways away considering the overall AI manager issues.

Though, I suppose, clay could use past versions of the manager AI as different managers.

I'd rather hire a manager than fiddle with sliders.

As much as the AI managers have issues, looking at the Majors, dont those guys? I've seen all sorts of dumb pinch hitting or relieving and what not that makes some of the complaints on here (albeit worthy complaints) look like peanuts. So heck, just name the worst one AJ Hinch, and the most up to date one Joe Torre!

For the record, this is probably the one change that I'd ike to see the most.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Sometimes one of my team's under performs and I'd love to fire the manager for poor performance.

yeah glenallen hill thats part the thing, even though its a stats driven thing you have to place the blame somewhere, so place it on the guy who's putting out player x instead of player y. and itd be cool to see how it meshed with the player chemistrys, it'd be kinda like the firends thing, say Johnny Damon wants to play with Joe Torre or Terry Francona instead of Joe Girardi (True Life). This would influence free agency and no-trade clauses. Like I said before it has lots of potential. And Ozzie could ruin a player's career by benching him and ruining his self esteem, or Francona could do the same by sticking to him until he was too far gone.

By the way, why are there no salvage projects in BM?

michaelg123789 Guest

Glenallen Hill was actually pretty good

I'd be completely onboard with hiring/firing managers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Logan View Post
    I'd rather hire a manager than fiddle with sliders.
    It may be as simple as being able to choose or make custom slider setting "presets" for each team. They could be selected from a list of profiles named after the managers they're intended to mimic.

Maybe they could all "live" in one editable TXT file (like the names, drafts, awards), then we can add/post our own contributions.

Or, well, something like that...
    "Baseball statistics are a lot like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."-Toby Harrah

"It's hard to look pissed off eating Apple Jacks."-Sh*t my Dad Says

Quote Originally Posted by StreetMedic View Post
    It may be as simple as being able to choose or make custom slider setting "presets" for each team. They could be selected from a list of profiles named after the managers they're intended to mimic.

Maybe they could all "live" in one editable TXT file (like the names, drafts, awards), then we can add/post our own contributions.

Or, well, something like that...
    Or you could "buy" your manager's settings and get his boost/takeaway in certain categories like clubhouse, strategy, hidden gems, pr, etc.

The AI operates pretty much the same for every computer-controlled team, no?

This could begin to add another layer of strategy/complexity to your own "strategerizing" when looking at upcoming opponents, or game situations:

"These guys run a lot, so it's not a good day to give my starting catcher a day off. And not a good day for my knuckleballer to start."

"These guys like to bunt. Better look at playing in, more often."

"These guys like to go to their relievers early. Let's get aggressive right away, and try to wear their bullpen down early in the series."

You could deliberately tweak your strategies to counter, or take advantage, of the tendencies of the manager you're playing.

And then, feeling out and learning the habits of fictional managers? Got some potential, methinks. Could all make for some very satisfying victories in those squeaker games, and pitchers' duels where every base-runner can swing the game.
    "Baseball statistics are a lot like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."-Toby Harrah

"It's hard to look pissed off eating Apple Jacks."-Sh*t my Dad Says

Right, every team using exactly the same strategy is fundamentally wrong for both the manager and GM.

The more I think about this the more I like it.

Even if the first version of managers were just random slider settings, that'd be interesting.

Then favors experience over youth, or defense over offense, or pitcher batting 8th, or whatever could be added in later.

I would pretty much not want this very much.