Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What am I?

What am I?

My great grand parents were born In Italy, my grand parents born there, moved here, my parents born here and I was born here.

I think that makes me a Native American. I am certainly not Italian, never set foot in Italy.

Does a Native American have to trace their past to crossing a land bridge from Siberia? So they are Asian?

Will Americans ever reach the point where we refer to ourselves as Americans and not as where we think out roots lay? We will become a stronger country when we do I think. The hyphenated American is a great danger to our future ( I edited it from "greatest danger").
    So I have decided from now on when asked "What are you?" or some version of that, to answer American. And answer the same to the inevitable follow-up question, "No, what Nationality?

I was born here, that makes me a Native American Dammit......a NAD.

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Re: What am I?

Your nationality is American, you may be able to claim your ethnicity is American. Native American is usually used as a concept that defines an ethnic group - it has essentially nothing to do with nationality. If you want to call yourself a native American (uncapitalized), that is true by some definitions of the terms "native" and "American". By capitalizing Native, you would be referring to a specific group, rather than using the dictionary definition of "native".

And I realize that you probably know this, and are ranting about some perceived slight somewhere, so you can return to the original premise of the thread.

What's wrong with celebrating your heritage? America is a country made up of people with different ethnic backgrounds from all over world, and maybe that is what makes it so great.

True but, we do have our own distinct culture now. Like ace said in the original post, most of us living in North America are hardly Italian, French, German, Chinese, etc... any more.

You've gotta love sociology though, huh? Is there a more subjective scientific field?
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

I am actually part "Native American", some of my ancestors are from the Natchez and Chicuamangua tribes of Lousiana. (Not sure on the spelling of the second one). We believe there may be some Seminole and Mayan in the family too... I am also very Italian and Irish, and have some Norwegian, German, Scottish, English, and Canadian in me.

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Pretty much everyone who's family has been here (in the US or Canada) for more then 3-4 generations is a mutt. You and I are as Italian, Irish, Norwegian, or anything else that you can think of, as we are Martians. Go, live overseas for a while, and you'll see what I mean.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

My answer to that question is always this
    I am American, proud American... Flesh and blood American... My ancestors came here from other countries so that they may live in America because it was a country they believe in and wanted to be part of it. I am an American... And will be until the day I die.
    The Constitution was designed by the founders to save people from themselves. It never fails to amaze me how good of a job they did
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!
    Death don't want ya... But the Lotus do... so bring ya wicked shlt we gonna bring ours too!!!
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by RedsoxRockies View Post
    I am actually part "Native American", some of my ancestors are from the Natchez and Chicuamangua tribes of Lousiana. (Not sure on the spelling of the second one). We believe there may be some Seminole and Mayan in the family too... I am also very Italian and Irish, and have some Norwegian, German, Scottish, English, and Canadian in me.
    Your mother got around, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    My answer to that question is always this
    I wouldn't say I'm proud to be [insert nationality]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3S_XL3JKgI

If your family is Caucasian from South Africa and they move to the US, are you African American?

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

nah
    "African American" is just the latest label for "African", "Negro", or "Black" peoples. It has just as much significance as any of those terms, as well.

I understand what you're getting at, and kenny does as well from what I can see. You're only fighting a name, though. The only meaning is that which we give it.

Quote Originally Posted by ohms_law View Post
    Pretty much everyone who's family has been here (in the US or Canada) for more then 3-4 generations is a mutt. You and I are as Italian, Irish, Norwegian, or anything else that you can think of, as we are Martians. Go, live overseas for a while, and you'll see what I mean.
    I am just proud of my natural heritage

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

You've gotta love sociology though, huh? Is there a more subjective scientific field?
    Psychology ?

Sorry, are you calliing sociology a scientific field? Even the people that I know in sociology wouldn't make that claim.