Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Rule V App

The Rule V App version 3

Version 3 of the Rule V App released! New zip file attached to this post.

Version 3 Improvements:

You can now select specific positions to include in the output, as long as you have the position (P) column selected in your data file. Each position is given a checkbox, and the checkbox is checked by default.

Version 2 Improvements:

1) Sorting - once the players have been retrieved, you can sort by any of the headers which you have selected. Just pick the sort, and re-click the "Get Rule V Players" button. The sort on the initial retrieve will be by Player Name.

NOTE: If you do not select the YEARS column, then the value of the Contracts checkbox will not be used in the selection.

Version 1.1 Improvements

1) Added "Include ML" checkbox - checking this will allow selection of players who are not in the minors.
    2) Added "Include Contracts" checkbox - checking this will allow selection of players with a "Years" value of 1 or more.

If you check/uncheck the "Include ML" checkbox, the "Include Contracts" checkbox will be checked/unchecked accordingly. You can still modify the "Include Contracts" value separately, though, by clicking on it.

The app asks for:

Player file location
    Arbitration Year to remove (2-digit year)
    Max Peak (Optional)
    Min Overall (Optional)
    Max Overall (Optional)
    Include AAA (defaults checked)
    Include AA (defaults checked)
    Include A (defaults checked)
    Include R (defaults checked)
    Include ML (defaults unchecked) - include major league rosters
    Include Contracts (defaults unchecked) - include players who are signed to at least one year

The input file is a file created by right-clicking on the Sortable Stats window and saving data to a file. You can choose any headers you want, as long as the Player Name and Roster headers are selected.

Once you have the parameters selected, click on "Get Rule V Players" to see the list. As AJ noted, this can be used to select players for a waiver wire and such too. It could now work for Jellio's Parity draft, as it now shows players who are currently under contract.

The results are given in the app's text window, and in the CSV file. The CSV file can be opened in Excel and in Notepad, like in the Box Score Parser.

A screenshot of the app is below. Please let me know feedback, and I can make changes if desired.

Name:  v3RuleVApp.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  153.1 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mizerak; 04-20-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added version 3

Re: The Rule V App

Mizerak, I want to have your children...

This is a fantastic idea (whoever came up with it), and will save a lot of time for us dynasty-ers! One nit: why does it ask for a max peak rating?

I belive so that you don't have 90 overall players in the draft[ That's my guess prob wrong LOL]

Holy sh*t dude, this is even better than the Negotiator. You've made some incredible contributions to these forums with these applications, thank you very much.
    Active Dynasty
    An Alternate History Dynasty - The 1989 Red Sox

Paused Dynasty
    Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ryan is No. 0. He doesn't make the list, since he's clearly on a higher plane of existence than all other quarterbacks, living or dead. He is ... teh messiah.
    I'm not the only one who knows the truth about Matt Ryan.

Could you add a "255 players available" out put somewhere?

That'd save a step when experimenting with different settings.

Also options for inputting:
    Maximum overall
    Minimum overall (nobody's drafting a 61 rated player probably)
    Levels to select from (a checkbox each for AAA, AA, A and rookie)

One suggestion:
    Any players with a contract of over 1 year is excluded, but that can be changed. I am basing this first version on comments in the "Ideas for another app" thread.
    I think I know the suggestion where this came from, however I think players with 1 year remaining contracts should be excluded as well. A player with one year remaining isn't a good Rule V Draft Pick. I think the person that made that suggestion meant that any player with a major league contract should be excluded.

Despite the fact I'm pointing out a lot of things I think are flaws:

AWESOME!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Could you add a "255 players available" out put somewhere?

That'd save a step when experimenting with different settings.

Also options for inputting:
    Maximum overall
    Minimum overall (nobody's drafting a 61 rated player probably)
    Levels to select from (a checkbox each for AAA, AA, A and rookie)

One suggestion:

I think I know the suggestion where this came from, however I think players with 1 year remaining contracts should be excluded as well. A player with one year remaining isn't a good Rule V Draft Pick. I think the person that made that suggestion meant that any player with a major league contract should be excluded.

Despite the fact I'm pointing out a lot of things I think are flaws:

AWESOME!!!!
    1. Numbers of players selected - I can put that in, sure.
    2. I can put in the ability to select the options you mentioned. One of the issues I need to work through with this is to make sure that everyone who uses it can make it work the way that they want to. So, I need to figure out what options people want related to contracts and arbitration years and such. That is why I started this thread.
    3. Any and all feedback is appreciated, by everyone who has commented and may comment in the future. There are no "flaws" yet because the app is not finished.

The Rule V App - new screenshots

Latest screenshot. I have modified the display a bit, and added min and max overall selections. Going to add the checkboxes for the (AAA) and such. Still not sure what to do about the arbitration - do I exclude players who are three years out, or exclude those who are up for arbitration in the current year?

Also, I have not yet removed the "1 year contract" players.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Miz', just out of curiosity, are all these app's coded in Java?
    Active Dynasty
    An Alternate History Dynasty - The 1989 Red Sox

Paused Dynasty
    Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ryan is No. 0. He doesn't make the list, since he's clearly on a higher plane of existence than all other quarterbacks, living or dead. He is ... teh messiah.
    I'm not the only one who knows the truth about Matt Ryan.

Nope - they are coded in TCL.

I will say it again: Clay needs to hire you.

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

I hear God is thinking of hangin' 'em up. He's gonna take a vacation first though to think on it, so the position's open on a temporary basis. You know a try it out and see if you like it kind of thing. I think you'd be the perfect fit Miz. Give it a shot - nothin' to lose right?

Here it is the App you said couldn't be done or didn't make sense to do because it wouldn't be able to do anything a spreadsheet couldn't do. Is there anything you can't do? Awesome. Would this work as a sort of "waiver wire" during the regular season?...And then Rule V in the offseason? Or is all of that pretty much the same thing anyway because the idea is to prevent richer teams from stuffing and hoarding in the minor leagues, while the poorer teams play on with sh!tty players and absolute threadbare depth. I guess it doesn't matter whether it's called Rule V or waiver wire because it can function as both. This is so cool.
    My Simulation Settings Widget

My 1901-2008 Simulation Settings (March 6, 2009 Update: Now runs through 1951)

"I think 'competing' is the key word in your phrase. The Rays are not competitive in the playoff race this year, nor do they seem to me to be on track to in the coming years." - LQ1Z34 on 08/23/11
    "Bwahahahahahah! Don't count your chickens before they've hatched dude." - Me on 09/25/11

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Science exists, moreover, only as a journey toward truth. Stifle dissent and you end that journey." - John Charles Polanyi

Just released version 1 of this app, in the first thread! Feedback is appreciated.

I'd like to have the option to include players with major league contracts to. This would be good when trying to prevent teams from hording good veteren players in the Minors.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

Version 1.1 Released!

Quote Originally Posted by gosensgo101 View Post
    I'd like to have the option to include players with major league contracts to. This would be good when trying to prevent teams from hording good veteren players in the Minors.
    I like to be responsive when I can.

Version 1.1 of the Rule V App released! New zip file attached to first post.

1) Added "Include ML" checkbox - checking this will allow selection of players who are not in the minors.
    2) Added "Include Contracts" checkbox - checking this will allow selection of players with a "Years" value of 1 or more.

If you check/uncheck the "Include ML" checkbox, the "Include Contracts" checkbox will be checked/unchecked accordingly. You can still modify the "Include Contracts" value separately, though, by clicking on it.

I know what I am asking for can be done in excel, but since I don't have excel here is my request. Is it possible to have a sort function in the app? Either that or list the players in alphabetical order?

The app looks great btw.

Thanks.