Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Box Score Parser

The Box Score Parser - version 12.43 released!

HELP FILE ATTACHED - Modified for 12.3!

I have attached an updated PDF file that explains the workings of the Parser. I would appreciate feedback on how to make this document more useful. File is at the end of this post.

VERSION 12.43 RELEASE:

I can now announce, with a bit of excitement, the release of version 12.43 of the Box Score Parser app (new zip file at end of this post)!

Version 12.43
    Added ability to parse for GDP in BBM2K11 files (GIDP was changed to GDP in box scores).Attachment 32139

Version 12.42
    Corrected bug in 12.4 where GIDP and CS data was being applied to the wrong player.
    Corrected bug in 12.4 where processing of a team with a period in the city name (i.e. ST. LOUIS) was not working.

Version 12.4
    Made Parser compatible with box scores from BBM 2K11 as well as earlier versions.

Version 12.3
    Added splits for Player/HomeRoad and HomeRoad/Player.
    Corrected issue where player could be marked as co-leader in a category if he matched the leader’s total, even if he did not qualify (via IPs or PAs) to lead that category.
    Corrected issue where player name would appear twice in Streaks data.
    Made all windows resizable such that the data will expand if the window is expanded.

Version 12.22:

Fixed scrolling of team pitcher data when screen resolution is 1024x768 (I think)
    Fixed display of team streaks data - player highs and streaks were not working correctly.

Version 12.21:

Fixed issues with sorting and with header widths (for all screen widths 1024 pixels or higher)

Version 12.2:

Added splits for Player/Position and Player/BatSlot to show a player’s data split out accordingly in the Team Data output. Also added Starter/Reliever totals and breakout, and a Starter/Reliever split for any pitchers who did both during the time frame specified.

There are so many features now, but here are the latest screenshots, showing:

1) Baltimore team batting for 1961, with player data broken out by position:
    Name:  v12battersplits2.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  217.2 KB

2) Boston pitching stats for 1961, with those pitchers that both started and relieved having split data under their totals:
    Name:  BosPitch1961.jpg
Views: 1507
Size:  195.3 KB

3) Baltimore team pitching data, split by starting and relief work:
    Name:  v12pitchersplits2.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  140.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mizerak; 08-11-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Released 12.43

Re: The Box Score Parser

This is amazing stuff.

Mizerak, how does your "two-digit year" field distinguish between 1908 and 2008?

Looks pretty sweet though. I hope you also plan to work on another version that will do the stuff like player hitting streaks and the seasonal single game highs for various stats, i.e. most hits in a game, strikeouts, etc.?

Does the OBP take into account HBP/SF, or no?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Does the OBP take into account HBP/SF, or no?
    It does not take those into account. The DICE calc (which I added, but is not yet in screenshots) does not take HBP into account either. There is no way to get SF from the box scores, and no easy way to get HBP either, as I would actually have to get it from the opposing team's section of the box score, which is currently getting ignored.

Mizerak, how does your "two-digit year" field distinguish between 1908 and 2008?
    I actually need some help with this, as I have not simmed the same year in the 1900s and the 2000s. How does the game itself distinguish in terms of the name of the box score file? For 1957, for instance, the box scores all start with 57-. If someone could tell me what happens in 2008 vs. 1908 with the box scores, I would appreciate it.

I hope you also plan to work on another version that will do the stuff like player hitting streaks and the seasonal single game highs for various stats, i.e. most hits in a game, strikeouts, etc.?
    I plan for this app to evolve over time. All of this stuff can be calculated. It mainly becomes a display issue, honestly. Once I start adding in all of those fields, where do I put them? I may end up putting in a button that allows you to open a file in Notepad or something that then shows the full stats, with the limited stats still visible on the app itself. Thoughts are appreciated.

One note: If your team has played against a pitcher with the same first initial and last name as a pitcher you are getting stats for (i.e. you want stats for pitcher Bruce Smith and Bob Smith pitched against your team), you may get incorrect W-L-SV stats. The other pitching stats should be fine. The problem is that the W-L-SV data is not in a particular team's section of the box score, so there is no way to tell which B.Smith got the decision. Just something to look out for.

Hmmm, I dunno about the two-digit year issue. It wouldn't be that big a deal for me since I tend to start most of my games in the current year, but others may disagree. Perhaps a request can be made for Clay to change the file name format to put a four-digit year instead of two? I wouldn't think that would require too much coding.

Outputting data to Notepad would be ok, but output to Excel would be better.

Awesome! You really need to work for Sports Mogul!

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Box Score Parser v1 Released! (cont.)

OK, this is the continuation of the first post (who set the attachment limit at 5 files??):

5) Same as #3, but for a pitcher
    6) Same as #4, but for a pitcher
    7) The excel sheet that comes up by hitting "Open Excel Stat File"
    8) The text file that comes up by hitting "Open Notepad Stat File"

The zip file of the app is in the first post.

I think this has MOST of what people want, but if not, please let me know what should/could be added. I could probably add OPS at some point, and I know of the request to add hitting streaks and game highs and such.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Adding OPS isn't really needed, as it's just adding OBP and SLG, which (I hope) everybody can do in their head.

This is awesome.

It'd be great if you could get it so that you can choose 2 dates and find the stats between them.

Also, can the boxscore directory just be the one that's included with the game, or should it be seperate?
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

Quote Originally Posted by gosensgo101 View Post
    This is awesome.

It'd be great if you could get it so that you can choose 2 dates and find the stats between them.

Also, can the boxscore directory just be the one that's included with the game, or should it be seperate?
    The box score directory can be any valid directory. If you do not fill it in, the app will default to the C:\Sports Mogul\Baseball Mogul 2009\Output\Box Scores directory. Just click on the "Find Box Scores" button, and choose your directory to use.

As for the date range...I have thought about it, and I am wondering what date ranges people would use that the monthly stats do not cover.

So far I have seen the following three suggestions for the Box Score Parser that are not yet included:

1) Ability to view the stats of a whole team, not just one player.
    This could be added, but only if there is a file containing the list of players. The problem, once again, is that the WP/LP/SV data does not mention which team the players belong to. Now, I could check to see which team won the game and then assume that the WP and SV pitchers came from that team and that the LP comes from the other team. So I suppose that I could gather player names and data without having a list, but it would be a lot more work. If we can agree that you would not want to see the results separated by month, though, it would make it easier (i.e. all results within the date range or month range would be totalled)

2) Ability to find hitting streaks and game highs.
    This is actually not too much effort as long as we are looking at single player data. Game highs can be tracked - I would just need to know which stats to track. Hitting streaks can also be tracked - the first game in which a player appears where he does not have a hit is the end of the streak.

3) Ability to view stats for a date range.
    This one is probably toughest, but not insurmountable. Really the only hard parts are checking the partial months at the beginning and the end.

I think that #2 and #3 will probably happen before #1, because we would still be dealing with single-player stats. #1 can happen, but it adds another layer of complexity. Also, I would have to consider the output - probably would have to put it all in a file.

I hereby nominate Mizerak as Baseball Mogul's Mod(ifier) of the year for 2009. I know there's almost 10 months left to go, but I figure that'll just give him even more time to run away with the award. Awesome job Mizerak and for the rest of us, we've got work to do if we're gonna catch this guy in 2010. Definitely one of the "rising stars" in the Mogul world.
    My Simulation Settings Widget

My 1901-2008 Simulation Settings (March 6, 2009 Update: Now runs through 1951)

"I think 'competing' is the key word in your phrase. The Rays are not competitive in the playoff race this year, nor do they seem to me to be on track to in the coming years." - LQ1Z34 on 08/23/11
    "Bwahahahahahah! Don't count your chickens before they've hatched dude." - Me on 09/25/11

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Science exists, moreover, only as a journey toward truth. Stifle dissent and you end that journey." - John Charles Polanyi

This is amazing. How do you do this stuff? This is awesome. Thank you.
    Gooo Angels!

actionjackson: Thank you very much for that! I am lucky that I can combine my skill at scripting languages with my love of sports statistics. :-)

eggson27: Thank you for the compliment!

As always, if you have any opinions on what to track, how to display it, etc...please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerak View Post
    The box score directory can be any valid directory. If you do not fill it in, the app will default to the C:\Sports Mogul\Baseball Mogul 2009\Output\Box Scores directory. Just click on the "Find Box Scores" button, and choose your directory to use.
    I wondered about this too. Since you can look in a different directory, I assume that people would have to save their box scores into that directory themselves. If they altered the file name slightly, to say, 20090501.txt for a May 1st box score, couldn't that be used to fix your two digit year issue?

For the seasonal game highs, I'd like to see whatever stats are in the box score, i.e. most HR's in one game for a player this season, most AB, R, RBI, 2B, 3B, SB, etc for batters, and K's, H, BB, R, ER, HR, pitches, etc for pitchers. Also the respective date on which these occurred, or range of dates for their best hitting streak. Might also be nice to know if say, John Smith had a home run in 5 straight games this year. There's a lot you could do with this. I had hoped that when the encyclopedia feature was put in that it would do things like this, but apparently that ain't happening, and it seems that Mizerak's idea would be much, much less resource intensive than the encyclopedia.

I agree that this could end up being one of the best mods ever for BM. That, combined with the 2010 version coming out in a couple weeks, would be a very nice enhancement to the game.