Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas for another app

Ideas for another app

Greetings! I have had ideas about creating an application or script (or both) that will parse box scores and provide stats. Does anyone see a need for something like this? What sort of parameters would you want to be able to enter, and what kind of stats would you want back?

I already have a small command-line script that gives me data about each team's record against the other during the season, home and away. I can share that if anyone wants it. All you need is a directory with box scores in it.

For the stats app, I envision something where you can put in a player's name, and a month, and get the player's stats for that month from the box scores. Maybe put in a player's name and get monthly stats. I don't know what people would find useful.

Any thoughts? Would something like this seem useful? If so, what would you want to see?

Re: Ideas for another app

dude, that would be awesome. I'd also like something where I could put in a player's name and have it tell me what his longest hitting streak is for the season. I know Clay put in something for that, but it's only for streaks of 20 or more games. I'd also like to track seasonal highs for my guys, such as most HR's in a game this season, most hits in a game, most strikeouts in a game for my pitchers, etc.

Edit: it would be helpful to also have the date(s) on which the events occurred.
    Last edited by beerchaser; 02-28-2009 at 09:43 PM.

You're on a real roll Mizerak. That's two whopper ideas in 5 days. What is in the water over there in New Hampshire?
    My Simulation Settings Widget

My 1901-2008 Simulation Settings (March 6, 2009 Update: Now runs through 1951)

"I think 'competing' is the key word in your phrase. The Rays are not competitive in the playoff race this year, nor do they seem to me to be on track to in the coming years." - LQ1Z34 on 08/23/11
    "Bwahahahahahah! Don't count your chickens before they've hatched dude." - Me on 09/25/11

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." - Mark Twain

"Science exists, moreover, only as a journey toward truth. Stifle dissent and you end that journey." - John Charles Polanyi

YES. I've been wanting a way to easily come up with month-by-month stats since I began playing Mogul.
    Active Dynasty
    An Alternate History Dynasty - The 1989 Red Sox

Paused Dynasty
    Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ryan is No. 0. He doesn't make the list, since he's clearly on a higher plane of existence than all other quarterbacks, living or dead. He is ... teh messiah.
    I'm not the only one who knows the truth about Matt Ryan.

beerchaser: Hitting streaks are an interesting idea. I have to make sure that I can parse the box scores correctly enough to get that, but I may be able to. Do you want to put in a player's name and get best hitting streak for the season, or do you want to enter in a team and get each player's hitting streaks? This could be tough, but it presents an interesting challenge.

actionjackson: The water is great here. :-) Seriously, I enjoy coding and I got good feedback from my last idea, so I figured I would throw this out there.

YD: Same sort of question as beerchaser - do you want to get monthly stats for the whole team for a given month, or monthly stats for a single player by entering a player name? Or were you envisioning something completely different?

I am thinking that this project would grow in stages, as I get better at parsing the scores and people can then get clearer about what they want to see. One limitation I see is that the text box scores (which I think I would need - the HTML could be too noisy with code) list pinch hitters as P in the box score, and may have other limitations as well. I can only do as well as the data that is out there, but I will do my best.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizerak View Post
    beerchaser: Hitting streaks are an interesting idea. I have to make sure that I can parse the box scores correctly enough to get that, but I may be able to. Do you want to put in a player's name and get best hitting streak for the season, or do you want to enter in a team and get each player's hitting streaks? This could be tough, but it presents an interesting challenge.
    If you can set it up to see all players on your team at once that'd be great, but if you can only do one at a time that's still much better than what we have now. Anything that adds inquiry-type functionality to the game is a good thing. Good luck - I look forward to seeing your results.

I have an idea for you, if you want a challenge, and want to make BM more enjoyable:

Could you try and make an app that could affect the longevity, peak start and peak end ratings for amateur draftees. I dont know which file those ratings get stored in, but if you could find a way, you could try to make an app that gives some added variance to those ratings, making it possible for real superphenoms to come through and dominate at age 21, and making longer careers possible for some players.
    As we all know, there are never any superphenoms in BM, and there are never enough guys that have long enough careers.

Obviously everyone can edit those ratings manually, but an app would be better, so that you wouldnt know beforehand who these phenoms and who these ironmen are.....

Jellio: If we figure out where that information is stored, it would not be that hard to do...but I would imagine that the info is tied into the game executable and not in a separate file. It may even be that they are generated using an engine or subroutine at the time they are needed, in which case they may be hardcoded and impossible to get at.

beerchaser: Thanks for the good wishes...I will certainly keep everyone here posted with the progress. The first step is to see how thoroughly I can parse the box scores reliably.

If someone could post a box score (text format) here that has a player that has at least 10 of something in the game (RBIs would be the logical column), I would appreciate it. It would help me figure out how the columns are lined up when that happens.

Erik Bedard has 11 strikeouts in this game, but I don't know if that helps you or not. I don't recall seeing 10+ RBI in any of my games, frankly, though some others on the board have, IIRC. I see what you mean though about the text file boxes showing pinch hitters with just a "P".
    Attached Files Attached Files

beerchaser: Thanks for that. Every little bit helps.

I am thinking that, to start with, the app will require a team name and either a player name or a month. So, you will be able to see either a player's monthly stats for a season or a team's stats for a month. We'll see if we can expand the app after that.

At the moment, I am still working on the logic to parse the box scores correctly. If anyone has a box score that has more than 10 in any column, please post at least one of them.

Miz is the MAN!!!

I'm already getting use out of your first creation.

http://sportsmogul.com/vbulletin2/sh...&postcount=537

The thing I'd like to see is instead of limiting the search to a calendar month, let me put in the start and end dates

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    The thing I'd like to see is instead of limiting the search to a calendar month, let me put in the start and end dates
    Interesting idea! I am planning to get the box score date from the filename, rather than the inside of the file, so this might be doable. I think that the calendar month (01,02,03,etc.) will be easier to implement at first, but I can see adding the date range (e.g. first half of the season) as an enhancement to it once I know the basics are working correctly.

Mizerak should just work for Sports Mogul

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Yeah, just think if you clicked on a free agent's negotiate button and got Mizerak's Negotiation Tool. That'd be pretty sweet.

You click on Manny Ramirez; Negotiate

"Manny isn't interested right now, check back after spring training"