Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Taking OFG's house rules a step further

Taking OFG's house rules a step further

Greetings to all! I have spent most of a year just taking from the creative minds on these forums, putting in various stadium packs and implementing ideas related to parity. Well, I decided to give back a bit.

One of the best "house rules" posts for Free Agency is the one by OldFatGuy, or OFG. It can be found here, as most people know:

http://forum.sportsmogul.com/showthread.php?t=155640

Now, I have been using these rules in my dynasty and really enjoy them, but I wondered what it might be like to take away the "Flipping cards on a tabletop" feel to it while keeping the same percentages.

Attached is my attempt. It is a simple application that allows the GM to put in the relevant information and then press the "Attempt Negotiation" button and see the results. The results are generated, as I said, with the same percentages as OFG used. A sample screenshot is below:

To negotiate with another player in the same session, just click on "New Player" and enter the new information. The Log File will not really tell you much, other than how many positive factors it found in the scenario.

As you can tell, I am not much for the bells and whistles in terms of look and feel. I am open to suggestions on how to improve it, though, and if someone thinks that the percentages should be tweaked (since we are no longer limited to a deck of cards with 54 outcomes), I can make changes.

I hope that some people get pleasure from this. It may give the game more of a "notification from the agent" feel than the card solution itself. Feedback is appreciated.

EDIT: I have now updated this with the ability to save players when you attempt to negotiate with them, and then bring them back by selecting them from a picklist and clicking on the "Use Selected Saved Player" button. NOTE: If you start up the app, and select a saved player, the "Midseason" question and "Team Record" question will still need to be answered. The "Clear Saved Players" button will clear the picklist and disable the "Use Selected Saved Player" button.

VERSION 3: I have now added language to the messages to reflect whether the negotiation is during the current season and/or with a player on your team, according to OFG's rules. See below for an example. I also added, in cases of a mid-season negotiation, the message "This demand already includes the current season." when the player states a contract demand. Also, the Peak rating info is now optional. If you do not enter it, the Overall will be filled in as the Peak automatically. Thanks to Filihok for the suggestions for this version.

FURTHER EDIT: There was a syntax error in one of the logic forks. I have corrected it, and it should be fine now.

EVEN FURTHER EDIT (3/7): Filihok noticed another error in the logic - free agents from other teams were still getting the year added to the demands when it was a midseason negotiation. I have fixed this now.

Attachment 22782
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Mizerak; 03-07-2009 at 06:39 PM.

Re: Taking OFG's house rules a step further

I was thinking of making a program to do it myself, but you beat me to it. This will help a lot. Thanks.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

Wow, GREAT idea and an excellent addition/contribution! I'll be giving this a try out soon. Great job on your part Mizerak, and of course, the same to OFG for coming up with this.

Just downloaded it!

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Awesome idea, thanks for this!
    Active Dynasty
    An Alternate History Dynasty - The 1989 Red Sox

Paused Dynasty
    Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ryan is No. 0. He doesn't make the list, since he's clearly on a higher plane of existence than all other quarterbacks, living or dead. He is ... teh messiah.
    I'm not the only one who knows the truth about Matt Ryan.

Thank you for the feedback! I am glad that some folks are enjoying it. :-)

Ok dude, that is pretty awesome

I haven't programmed since basic, would it be a huge deal to add a function where you can save players? It's a bit more work to type a player in than it is to flip over a card.

(now you know how clay feels, 'this is cool, but...')

It probably would not be a huge change, and I would be happy to do it...but I don't know what you mean :-)

Save players? You mean keep a list of players that you have tried to negotiate with before, so you can pick them again?

(By the way, the player name is entirely optional. You can put in "Player" if you want. It is only used for the output).

Thanks for the feedback - I am happy to make changes once I understand what they are :-)

-- Miz

EDIT: Also, you can open the log file and get the player names from there to copy and paste, if it is during the same session (the log file resets every time the app is opened).

ANOTHER EDIT: I think I know what you mean, having read it again. You want to save a player's stats so that you can call up that player again and have everything filled in. If that is the case, then I can work on that, sure. I can make it keep a list of players you have tried to sign, and maybe put that list in a dropdown. When you select the player from the list, the stats will be filled in. Not trivial, but a fun project, so if that is what you are talking about (please confirm), let me know and I will try it.

Yes, that's what I meant.

If I try with Ryan Zimmerman once, if I could pick him from a menu again and have his stats come up then you'd have a muy useful tool

Ask and ye shall (sometimes) receive. New zip file attached to first post, and new screenshot as well.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

-- Miz

Damn...I'm intrigued. Time to download and give this thing a shot. Thanks, Mizerak.

Dude this is awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    For some reason I thought rockies was a big black guy.

I was wrong.
    Back at this dynasty thing again: Resurrecting The Rockies: 2001 Onward

Is there anyway you could do it without including their peak in there?

I was wrong.

Well, the peak is in there because the OFG rules say to look at the overall and the peak. For the sake of the negotiations, if you are not using peak ratings, just make the peak the same as the overall and the negotiation will be the same as if there is no peak rating.

Thanks as always for the feedback. If there are any other modifications that you would like to see, please let me know.

Yea, I found you can also just put in ?? for the peak and it works fine

I was wrong.