Thread: 12.03 / Fly ball outs appear to be home runs

12.03 / Fly ball outs appear to be home runs

Ive decided to start fixing one bug at a time if itll get them fix faster that way. This is my first one.

Sometimes when the player hits a home run, actually often the ball will travel longer distant than the distance of the wall and yet still it will be caught near the wall or not a homerun. It happens quite often almost to the point that if its not a 400yrd bomb it wont go over the fence. Also sometimes it should go over the wall from a line drive but it hits the wall. a lot of the time if it hits the wall its caught as an out which i dont get. A bit unrealistic on the fielders range. How can i make it that if it hits over the length of the fence it will always make it a home run?
    "Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

Re: Home Runs not Hitting over the fence

It's a graphic error.

With Mogul you have to remember that:

THE OUTCOME OF THE PLAY IS DETERMINED BEFORE YOU SEE THE PLAY

So the pitcher pitches, the batter swings THEN the game calculates what happens, THEN you see the play.

Anything you see, like the ball appearing to hit the wall and be caught or the ball recording a distance that you think should be over the fence, is only a graphic error.

Graphic error or not its still a glitch in the game. >_<

agree.
    "Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

Its also different if you use different ball park images sometimes. Some ball park images don't fit the overlay of the graphics as well as others.

I play PBP in almost all my games, so it is annoying when the graphics don't match the actual result. Its not critical, but it makes you say 'wtf' when you watch what happens and then realize it had a different result from what you expected.

BBK2010 seems like its been improved in this area. In BBK2090, I used to see what looked like 200 ft grounders to the outfield suddenly reported as home runs. Now, most of the home runs look at least close to home runs, then I read the text to see what it really was. In thinking about it, I may actually like having some that are so close that you can't tell. That would simulate a manager watching the game from the dugout, seeing the ball hit near the wall, but having to look at the umpire to see if it really got over the wall or not.

even worse than this is the alarming rate of inside the park homeruns i seem to pull off

I agree with Marc it handicaps the player from the cpu. and i understand the view points but in my game the distance is longer than the stadium and it gets called out even if it doesnt some actually stay in the park. its usually caught if its close to the number of distance whether its more or less. its stupid because if its not a no doubter its almost always caught. its actually almost a suprise when its a close cheap home run. another problem is that the ball actually hits the wall a lot and its still considered outs. the other day i was watching baseball and was actually surprised to find out that if the ball hits the wall its a hit even if he catches before it hits the ground. so not only is it a graphical error but a rule one too.

To Jshaw. i actually like the inside the parks homeruns what you can do is set the frequency of it. i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Threesom666 View Post
    another problem is that the ball actually hits the wall a lot and its still considered outs. the other day i was watching baseball and was actually surprised to find out that if the ball hits the wall its a hit even if he catches before it hits the ground. so not only is it a graphical error but a rule one too.

I don't really think you understand how the game is set up. The play is over before you even see the ball go in the air.

This game has way more pressing issues than the graphics in pBp mode.

and i do understand that. We are just all reporting a bug. we didnt mean that this was the top of list of issues. i gave a list of issues that the game so i am well aware of the issues. i just thought id start with small issues and build my way up.

i dont like the idea of everything being predetermined based on numbers.

i dont like the idea of everything being predetermined based on numbers.
    um, that is the whole point behind the game

yea i wish it was more like a video game for the pc. i like the gm role but game play by play needs a lot of work. its the whole idea but its not the only idea. its the whole idea but it could a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    THE OUTCOME OF THE PLAY IS DETERMINED BEFORE YOU SEE THE PLAY
    This is actually not the case, although that isn't relevant to this bug report. I've been playing a lot of PBP games over the last 2 months and haven't seen any times when the ball looks like a homer and isn't (or vice versa). Well, a couple of times it seems to be off by a couple of pixels, but there's not much we can do about this since we're using 2D art in a 3D simulation.

Are you using different stadium art? Or just the one default stadium pic that comes with Baseball Mogul?

And what stadium are you seeing this in?

Finally, what version are you running?

Thanks,

Clay
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules
    Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

I agree with Marc it handicaps the player from the cpu. and i understand the view points but in my game the distance is longer than the stadium and it gets called out even if it doesnt some actually stay in the park. its usually caught if its close to the number of distance whether its more or less. its stupid because if its not a no doubter its almost always caught. its actually almost a suprise when its a close cheap home run. another problem is that the ball actually hits the wall a lot and its still considered outs. the other day i was watching baseball and was actually surprised to find out that if the ball hits the wall its a hit even if he catches before it hits the ground.
    You didn't know an outfielder has to catch a ball on-the-fly to be a real out, after all this time? If it hits *anything* fair, it's a hit, and can't be an out for the batter. Otherwise, balls bounced off the walls or off umpires <grin> coould be made into outs when that would defy common sense, not to mention the rule book.

To Jshaw. i actually like the inside the parks homeruns what you can do is set the frequency of it. i think.
    Where do you set the frequency of Inside-the-park HRs????
    HRs in general, yes; but not Inside-the-park'ers!
    "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball, the rules and realities of the game..."[- and do it by watching first some high school or small-town teams."]
    --Jacques Barzun (God's Country and Mine, 1954)
    [Quote is on the first floor wall at the National Baseball Hall of Fame; Cooperstown, NY]
    [b. 11/30/1907; now aged 104]