Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fuentes to....

Re: Fuentes to....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    He's not. At all. Let's play a little game.

Who's the better pitcher:

Pitcher A: 11.78 K/9, 3.16 BB/9, .210 BAA
    Pitcher B: 10.14 K/9, 4.48 BB/9, .219 BAA
    I'd be curious to know how they matchup careerwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
    I'd be curious to know how they matchup careerwise.
    In those stats I listed,

Fuentes: 10.24 K/9, 3.82 BB/9, .224 BAA (and remember, that BAA is Coors-inflated)
    Rodriguez: 11.70 K/9, 3.95 BB/9, .193 BAA

It's closer. However, this is about projecting forward, and Rodriguez's worst year in non-save terms was this past season, while Fuentes had his best. Also, in both 2007 and 2008, K-Rod's BB/9 was around 4.50, a jump of nearly one walk from his previous level, and given that it held over 2 seasons, it's likely that that jump does indicate a loss of control.

I'd take K-Rod, slightly, over Fuentes, but it's certainly not getting "carried away" to suggest that Fuentes is better, because he certainly might be going forward. It's also worth mentioning that Fuentes comes cheaper, and even conceding that he is worse, K-Rod isn't enough better to warrant the extra cost.

By the way, see these links for the stats I'm listing, and more: K-Rod, Fuentes.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    In those stats I listed,

Fuentes: 10.24 K/9, 3.82 BB/9, .224 BAA (and remember, that BAA is Coors-inflated)
    Rodriguez: 11.70 K/9, 3.95 BB/9, .193 BAA

It's closer. However, this is about projecting forward, and Rodriguez's worst year in non-save terms was this past season, while Fuentes had his best. Also, in both 2007 and 2008, K-Rod's BB/9 was around 4.50, a jump of nearly one walk from his previous level, and given that it held over 2 seasons, it's likely that that jump does indicate a loss of control.

I'd take K-Rod, slightly, over Fuentes, but it's certainly not getting "carried away" to suggest that Fuentes is better, because he certainly might be going forward. It's also worth mentioning that Fuentes comes cheaper, and even conceding that he is worse, K-Rod isn't enough better to warrant the extra cost.

By the way, see these links for the stats I'm listing, and more: K-Rod, Fuentes.
    Thanks, Houston. I've always thought that Fuentes was a pretty damn good pitcher who was just never 'noticed' pitching for Colorado.

Let's also not forget that Fuentes will be playing at ~100 feet above sea level now, instead of 1 mile above sea level. More air to work with = increased movement. He won't have to work in Coors field at all now, unless both the Angels and the Rockies make the World Series.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
    Thanks, Houston. I've always thought that Fuentes was a pretty damn good pitcher who was just never 'noticed' pitching for Colorado.
    I noticed him! He used to be one of my favorites for a bit

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!