Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taking the "Free" out of Free Throw: 5,000

Taking the "Free" out of Free Throw: 5,000

Shaq missed free throw number 5,000 last night.

It's amazing to wonder how many more points, more wins, and more championships the guy would have had if he could, you know, actually MAKE a free throw.

Re: Taking the "Free" out of Free Throw: 5,000

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post

It's amazing to wonder how many more points, more wins, and more championships the guy would have had if he could, you know, actually MAKE a free throw.
    or if he developed a 15 foot jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post

It is absolutely dumbfounding that something like this could happen, I can't really think of an excuse why a player can barely hit 50% of his FTs.

I thought I read somewhere that it was because his hands were so big or thick or something like that as to where he couldn't properly grip the ball for a shot like that. Don't really know. Oh well..he can't make FTs, but he's one of the absolute best of all time and has what, 4 rings? I'm sure he isn't too worried about one flaw in his game at this point.
    My runs created per 27 posts (RC/27p) was 12.4 last year. I should've been MVP.

Quote Originally Posted by KowboyKoop View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that it was because his hands were so big or thick or something like that as to where he couldn't properly grip the ball for a shot like that. Don't really know. Oh well..he can't make FTs, but he's one of the absolute best of all time and has what, 4 rings? I'm sure he isn't too worried about one flaw in his game at this point.
    Agreed. He revolutionized the big man in the game of basketball. The 7 footer.

I hate him, he is on ESPN and the news to much.

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsoxRockies View Post
    I hate him, he is on ESPN and the news to much.
    Good metsguy impression.

Shaq is my favorite player in the game today. His acting and his rapping skills are awful and he should never ever use them again but his skills on the court are what make me love him.

And he's funny.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDuck1989 View Post
    Agreed. He revolutionized the big man in the game of basketball. The 7 footer.
    I don't really see that Shaq revolutionized the game....he was a more physical Wilt.

As for RedSox comments...I CAN agree with him now, because Shaq is not putting up numbers to equal the face time he gets anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
    I don't really see that Shaq revolutionized the game....he was a more physical Wilt.

As for RedSox comments...I CAN agree with him now, because Shaq is not putting up numbers to equal the face time he gets anymore.
    A more physical Wilt is a complete change in how the big man was played... He obviously changed the game putting up those incredible numbers and now look at all these guys coming out of college idolizing one 7 footer in particular: Shaquille O'Neal. Plus, he's obviously a different kind of monster if your game plan is "Hack a Shaq".

Shaq doesn't truly get THAT much face time if you ask me. Last season he did after the big trade to Phoenix but this year...not so much.

I don't know if what you're describing is revolutionary so much as a guy being an absolute physical freak in terms of his size and power and athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Blast View Post
    I don't know if what you're describing is revolutionary so much as a guy being an absolute physical freak in terms of his size and power and athleticism.
    It revoulutionized the way the big man was played, no? Both offensively and guarding said big man defensively.

While I'm not sure about him revolutionizing the game (simply b/c I don't know basketball enough to know about it....), I think it's pretty obvious that he was without a doubt in his own league when it came to big men and simply destroyed everyone else...and even at this age he's still a pretty damn solid player. I think he's great and deserves every bit of praise and "face time" given to him and I hope he's associated with the NBA for a long time to come.
    My runs created per 27 posts (RC/27p) was 12.4 last year. I should've been MVP.

Undoubtedly he's an all time great player in the NBA...nobody rational would deny that. I just get hung up on calling him revolutionary...what he was was a physical freak. He didn't necessarily change the game, he just was given such extensive physical gifts as to be unguardable.
    Last edited by Arctic Blast; 12-27-2008 at 06:54 PM.

Plus, he made Shazam!

I love Shaq too, of course I am a Miami Heat fan, but one thing I would of liked to see is if he can develop a moderate range jumper. There is no telling how good he would be with that. But in my estimation, the best player in history. Hopefully we will see it one of these days.