Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,467

    Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    If you're a top flight talent, there's nobody else you want representing you. He's been pulling all the strings in the Texiera deal masterfully from what i've seen.

    Tex is going back to Anehiem. I'm going out on a short limb and guarenteeing that. They just can't afford to lose arguably their best player to their biggest obstacle which is Boston. NYY have a legitimate shot as well, but Anehiem will in time overbid themselves to land him.

    Boras has had the media working for him....all the talks how Tex wants to play on the East coast...Boston the top bidder...etc.etc.etc. Now Boston drops out, and BAM...the Yanks jump in with serious talks lol. Oh wait...then the media reports the Sox aren't 'truly' out of it.

    I really think the Sawx are truly out of it. Henry has seen the writing on the wall....and that is that Tex is going back to Anehiem. All the posturing with 'east coast teams' is merely upping the ante.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Edison, NJ
    Posts
    15,878

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    Yea, agreed. I've been saying this for months now, but I agree that he'll be back in Anaheim.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Colorful Colorado
    Posts
    1,324

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    You're totally correct, Boras is a great agent for the baseball player (Did you see that article about him and Tex in SI a couple weeks ago?) but bad for baseball.
    My Dynasty:

    Saving Baseball In Portland

    *************************

    My Retired Dynasties:

    The Day Baseball Changed Forever: Part 1
    Dynasty Hall-of-Fame nominee

    The Decade Baseball Changed Forever: Part 2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Edison, NJ
    Posts
    15,878

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    This is what the other poll thread is about too... how exactly is it "bad for baseball", though?
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    Quote Originally Posted by ohms_law View Post
    This is what the other poll thread is about too... how exactly is it "bad for baseball", though?
    one could say in the same way the UAW was/is bad for the auto industry (at the present time). It was great in its day, and there was a need for agents (still is) but theres a line that can be crossed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Edison, NJ
    Posts
    15,878

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    eh... I see your point, and I don't want to disagree. It's just... I liken Baseball players and other athletes to independent contractors rather then laborers. If you take that view, the thirty teams are competing for the services of 500 - 1000 other supplier businesses.
    To me the difference is fairly obvious, anyway.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    I've yet to see anybody offer any shred of evidence to back up the statement that Scott Boras is "bad for baseball." All I've heard is that...he just is, without a single shred of evidence. The fact of the matter is that if it wasn't Scott Boras, it'd be another agent doing the same thing...and if there wasn't, than the money would simply be in the pockets of the owners...ie. nothing would be different except the owners would have more money and the players less.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    Nobody thought the UAW was bad for the auto industry until it was too late and they were near bankrupting their industry.

    I don't think Boras is bad for baseball.....I still think there's more than enough money to go around. I'm not so naive however to be able to see the flip side of the coin. Although Ohms is right, there are glaring differences between an agent and a union, theres also no doubt Boras holds the keys to many of the most high profile players and as is evident with Tex..his players set the market. All by himself, he negotiates deals that set the market.

    There most certainly will one day become a point where money runs out, and the players get too much of the kitty to support the game. Look what happened in hockey!!! Perfect example. Are we there yet? I highly doubt it....but then again, we usually find out these things too late. With the economy going where it's going, who really knows?

    Where Boras becomes bad when things do go south, when money does run dry...to stay in business he STILL must try to raise the bar. Just as the players did in Hockey, just as the UAW did in the auto industry.....they still must prove their worth or they're rendered useless so they give no concessions. I don't think we're there yet....but then as I said...you don't know until its here and gone.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    No. Va., Loudoun County
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    Nobody thought the UAW was bad for the auto industry until it was too late and they were near bankrupting their industry.

    The UAW bankrupted the auto industry???

    Reading right out of the right wing playbook, eh?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    The UAW bankrupted the auto industry???

    Reading right out of the right wing playbook, eh?
    cmon now, its not even a partisan argument to claim that a big reason our auto industry is not competitive with foreign markets is the labor agreements. stop looking to make everything a left/right wing argument.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    No. Va., Loudoun County
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    cmon now, its not even a partisan argument to claim that a big reason our auto industry is not competitive with foreign markets is the labor agreements. stop looking to make everything a left/right wing argument.
    cmon now, its not even a partisan argument to claim that a big reason our auto industry is not competitive with foreign markets is managments failure to plan ahead, make good quality cars, and make more efficient cars rather than focusing on the SUV high profit areas. stop looking to make everything a union's fault.

    EDIT: And this is the wrong thread for this. If you want to have this discussion, fine. But not here. My last post here.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,772

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    check, please...


    "Baseball statistics are a lot like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."-Toby Harrah

    "It's hard to look pissed off eating Apple Jacks."-Sh*t my Dad Says

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    cmon now, its not even a partisan argument to claim that a big reason our auto industry is not competitive with foreign markets is managments failure to plan ahead, make good quality cars, and make more efficient cars rather than focusing on the SUV high profit areas. stop looking to make everything a union's fault.

    EDIT: And this is the wrong thread for this. If you want to have this discussion, fine. But not here. My last post here.
    LMFAO..yes, I agree with you on all accounts except for the statement about the union. I never made everything the unions fault

    Management is most certainly to blame too....but its not even debateable that the union has a share of the blame as well. I don't want to talk about this...never did in fact until you came in and attacked me claiming i'm making a right wing statement. Never did. So good...thats my last post here on this too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Edison, NJ
    Posts
    15,878
    Why do so many posts here have to be seen as "an attack"? We all have various views on all of these things, so it's simply an expression of personal beliefs. I don't see any "attacks" at all.


    Anyway, good point regarding Hockey. The thing is... hockey has adjusted. Baseball has gone through that several times, already. NHL teams never really "ran out" of money, there's just a give and take between the primary business entities (the teams) and their various sub-contractors/suppliers (the players).

    The only real employees in baseball are umpires, stadium personnel, team officials, etc...
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    No. Va., Loudoun County
    Posts
    2,664

    Re: Why Boras is great...Tex situation

    Ok, Ohms, sorry.

    Back on topic. I can see one way that Boris (or unions, for that matter) can be bad for baseball (industries). That's when they put personal interests above that of who they are representing. In the case of Boras, it is certainly valid to question his motives in the handling of Manny last season. If an agent convinces one of his players to "loaf" or "take games off" in an attempt to persuade a team to opt out of future years so he (Boras) can negotiate a new deal, I, personally, think that's "bad for baseball." Manny was under contract. He was entitled to try and convince the Red Sox to opt out if he wanted that, but to do so the way he did it, was unseemly. And if Boras had a hand in that, for pesonal, greedy, reasons, then that's one case of Boras being bad for baseball, IMO.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •