Thread: IF/C's

IF/C's

How do I determine a player's Handling rating when they are listed as a 3B/C or 1B/C? For example, Brandon Inge is listed as a 3B/C, but I am not going to put him behind the plate without knowing how he handles pitchers. Any thoughts?

Re: IF/C's

Put him into your lineup at catcher.

Switch to defense and select ratings. It should show his ratings at the position he is currently selected to play

You could also click on his position in the player card, then select the position you want to see his skills at. DON'T change the position, just take a glance at his predicted ratings if you WERE to change him.

Sure it does...
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

The change changes the players rating making him better at the position you switch him to for the cost of maing him worst on all the other positions. It should not be the same thing.

And it is clearly not the same thing.

Once you change a players position, he's basically a different player. Which is why I think the ratings from the defensive lineup screen are more correct for what Porklet is asking

Well yea... their doing different things. Changing the player's primary position is an "instant solution"... but, how the two events (playing the player out of position, vs changing his position immediately) affect a player come from the same function. The difference that you see between the two comes simply from when the changes are applied, either all at once or over a period of time.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Umm...more confused.

So, to answer Porklet's original question,

If I play Leftfielder/third baseman Kory Casto at first base for one game are his ratings for that game 75/71/75 as shown in the defensive lineup or 71/76/82 as shown in the change position dialogue? Or neither? Or both? Or something else?

They'll be what is shown in the defensive lineup dialog, always.

playing a player out of position is similar to say, accelerating slowly.
    Changing a players position is similar to slamming the gas pedal to the floor.
    The engine is the same, but the performance is different based on usage.

Argh. Hating the defensive position change scenario.

Had LF Elijah Dukes rated 78/83/100 in CF. Played him there a lot.
    He turned into a 79/77/71 CF.

In left field he was a 78/88/87 now he's
    a 77/87/87

so, he just got worse in CF by playing there more often.

Yeah, the auto-change is fubar. I always edit such players. I've had Jeremy Hermida playing left field for two years now and fully expect his ratings to plummet when the computer decides to switch him. I hate editing to fix this since I feel like I'm messing up any normal variation or deterioration in skills, but the game's change position functions (deliberate or automatic) are just too absurd.

And at times you can find guys who turn into gold glovers by the auto-change. We had a DH type guy who could hardly play anywhere turn into a very good RF by the AI conversion, whereas converting him manually would've still left him unable to field.
    I saw Andre Dawson. And let me tell you something. There were only two players in my lifetime whose teammates held them in awe. One was Mickey Mantle. The other was Andre Dawson. If you were around, if you saw them play, you know that. But the numbers don't tell you that.
    - Jerome Holtzman