Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: League Play Feature Suggestions

League Play Feature Suggestions

League players,

I'm starting this thread to create one place to consolidate suggestions from online league commissioners to improve Baseball Mogul.

I know that a lot of people use Baseball Mogul to run leagues. But I also know that there are some features we haven't added yet that would improve league play and/or make it easier to run online leagues. Because I don't currently play in any online leagues, I often "miss the boat" in terms of obvious improvements that need to be made to Baseball Mogul.

For example, the 'Save Team Files' button in Advanced Tools can be used to save changes for your team and send them to the commissioner. But it's a pretty clunky tool and I know many commissioners prefer to just make changes manually.

For now I'm just going to ask that you keep this thread on-topic. After we get some suggestions, along with some "me too" posts, I'll try to organize the posts into a group of priorities for league owners going forward.

Thanks!

Clay
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules
    Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

Re: League Play Feature Suggestions

I just started playing in a league, and being a former commissioner of BMO, I would love the game to handle Free Agent Bidding.

defense Guest

Allow the setting where GMs can see commish mode player ratings without being able to go into "edit player"

Quote Originally Posted by defense View Post
    Allow the setting where GMs can see commish mode player ratings without being able to go into "edit player"
    I like that, maybe beable to have the option when you start a game that you can't edit players.

Quote Originally Posted by defense View Post
    couldn't agree more with what he said.
    -Another one would be with expenses to allow you to just type in say 20,000,000 instead of having to go from like 2,000,000 and cycle through it. It can take an awful long time.
    -Another thing would be customizable 40-man rosters. Instead of X pitchers and X hitters going allow yourself to choose which players.
    -This would be fun playing a game yourself or in a league...Rule 5 draft.

I'm sure there are others I'll think of but the one defense suggested and the 1st 2 I suggested are the bigger ones in my opinion.

Click the sig.

Team Passwords
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    For some reason I thought rockies was a big black guy.

I was wrong.
    Back at this dynasty thing again: Resurrecting The Rockies: 2001 Onward

Quote Originally Posted by rockiesfan4ever View Post
    Team Passwords
    +1, disable ability to sim ahead.

Something that solve the problem of putting in lineups manually that is way too time consuming. Doing 15 lineups at a pace of 10 mins per lineup takes me 2 1/2 hours long.
    Last edited by Fish Troll; 12-22-2008 at 06:05 AM.

Option Years (in terms of the 40 man roster, how many years they can be on the 40 man roster and moved freely between majors and minors)

Most of the things in here that aren't already implemented: http://www.sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/in...Player_Options

Import/Export Lineups- I know this request has been brought up many time but it's the single biggest reason online leagues fail. My league runs 3 sims a week and our gm's like to have every player accounted for(2,300 players in file). Combine that with filling out 120 lineups(30teamsX l/r/dh/no dh) and it takes up anywhere from 3-8 hours a week. That's not even including trades, free agent signing/extensions, updating expenses/strategies, updating websites/forums, or the most important part.. having fun with the gm's. Being able to import the lineups would be a huge help.

Option to Show Real Ratings-I know this isn't "realistic" but the scouting system, while great for one player mode, is useless for online leagues. You can spend $0 and see the same ratings that someone who spends 8 mil sees. I know others are suggesting a team password but I wouldn't go near that with my league for 2 reasons.

1-GM's will (sadly) hide their IP and join the league with a different ID to have one team with the primary purpose of being the best scouting team in the league. This way they don't have to spend the money with their "A-team" but can still gain an advantage.

2-
    What will happen when Team A(+/-4) trades an 83 rated player to Team B(+/-5) for a 85 rated player. Then Team C(division rival of team B) pm's Team A before the he approves the trade and says I got a +/- 1 that says your getting killed in that trade, giving up a 90 for a 78? To me that would be asking for drama.

Incorporate Box Scores/Recaps into Encyclopedia-This is another great "in game feature" that I've been trying to incorporate into my leagues web site. But the problem is after determining which schedule I'm using and which team is "012" and so on.... It will still take a several hour process to match up the html files with which two teams play what letter(A-O) game on each day. I know it goes alphabetically by the home city but if you try to match that up with what the schedule.txt has for that day, they don't match up.

So unless I'm missing something....to do this I'm going to have to input the schedule.txt file by hand(not tab delimited) into a spreadsheet, change the team numbers into initials by using 30 different replace functions, then go day by day 180 times sorting by home team.

So what I'm asking in a nutshell is maybe have a calendar like the one "in game" but that export into the encyclopedia.

Put All Player Files In One Folder-This one again is for the encyclopedia. I like to make my own custom pages so my league stands out. For example I recently made team roster pages where it has the players salary, ratings, age, health and some other things. To give it some window dressing I added the players pic and link to their player page next to their bio. It's an easy process but the one down side is that to link it to the player card, the path is encyclopedia/players/first letter of ID/ID. So after I input all the stats I have to go copy and past "s/" or whatever the letter next to each player making sure it's correct. It's not hard, but it's time consuming and boring. If I didn't have to do all that "/s" I would do the same thing for league leaders, player injuries, and who knows what else.

I understand if this is not a priority because most leagues are simple forum based and don't take advantage of the resources Mogul gives them now anyway. But with BMO gone there is definitely a need for a new niche as an alternative for those players who love to play Mogul during their 9-5 job but can't open up the game file there. The current state of "online leagues" won't cater to these players. I bet you could count on one hand the number that actually post stats and standings outside of handing out a game file. So I guess the more info we can output, the easier it is do, and the more customizable it is the better. That's it for my long winded rant. If nothing else just make a way to import lineups so commissioners don't get burned out so quickly and it would be a huge help to the community.

***edit*** just thought of one more thing. Making the trade windows sortable so the names can be displayed alphabetically and easier to find.

Names are easy to find you just type the first letter of their last name and it comes up keep clicking that until its the player you want
    THE MOGULFRANCHISE
    "The Next Generation of the Baseball Mogul Dream League"
    -join today

Easier way to show players wish to resign.

Obviously the lineup and rotation export with expense ratings etc. Kind of a my team information export.
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    You beat me twice yesterday. I've never been beaten in the postseason in different leagues by the same person on the same day.

Relish this day..

Guys,

A lot of you having been playing in online CD leagues for years. If you wish to see an improvement for the next version, please speak up now!
    You beat me twice yesterday. I've never been beaten in the postseason in different leagues by the same person on the same day.

Relish this day..

The salary scale that you can offer to players first year arbitration needs to be adjusted. An 82/95 player for example can be offered a 7 yr 3 million dollar contract that would never be accepted in real life.

There needs to be a way to change the draft order in commish mode! Many leagues have Type A and B free agent rules, draft pick trades and draft lotteries that can change the original order.

This change is long overdue.

Relish this day..

Being able to add a 4th division is important. One league expaned to 32 teams so 4 division would make a lot of sense.

Relish this day..