Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: A list of Mogul 2010 Suggestions

Re: A list of Mogul 2010 Suggestions

Clay does not communicate very well HGM.

Quote Originally Posted by boomboom View Post
    Clay does not communicate very well HGM.
    I don't know what this means. He communicates a hell of a lot more than most game companies do. That's really indisputable. I understand you had issues with BMO and all, and I, admittedly, didn't follow any of that, but there's very few other companies where you even have the opportunity to directly interact with the maker of the game.

Right now I would like to summarize what we have:
    It seems like a strengthened AI and new free agency are most yearned for. But there are many other features that people are dying to see added.

1. People agree strongly:

1F. More strategy options/better injury AI.
    1K. Better amateur draft AI.
    2C. "New computer trade AI"
    --People seem to agree the AI should be strengthened as a priority. 1F seems to be a smaller issue then 1K/2C.
    -My point on 1K is drafting on scouting isn't that realistic, as the AI values a 66/86 the same as a 58/94 and a 69/72 the same as a 48/93... People seem to agree with that usually, as HoustonGM says, the AI needs better player evaluation, which I agree with.
    -For me on 2C, I believe the computer AI should be "stingier" on it's main players, more so then it is. I can wrest a guy like Pujols, or a top prospect away from a team easier then I should be able to.

2D. "New free agency"
    2B. "Players can refuse to sign with team/test FA market"
    --People agree very strongly that free agency as it is is not that realistic, and adding a more bidding-type system would be better.

1D. A computer trade block.
    --The start in the depth chart was fine, but only giving five random players doesn't help. Agree that there should be an expanded one.
    1H. Make arbitration not as reliant on cash.
    -To clarify, this means that arbitration does not take into account how much cash reserves the team has. In the current game a player arbitrating with a team with 10 mil in the bank will ask for much less then one with 150 mil.
    1I. Improved Scouting.
    1M. More balanced amateur draft.
    --Generally agreed upon. HoustonGM says creation/development of amateurs should be addressed - I agree and think this would solve the issue and improve the situation... as long as 80% of the top 30 draftees stopped being pitchers.

1Q. Minor League Rosters
    1R. Let the player set his own September call ups.
    2H. "Rule V Draft"
    2J. "40 Man Roster"
    --All go together, and people are supportive, especially on 1Q/1R/2J. Rule V is more a part two thing (not a priority).

2. People agree, but not as much a priority:
    1A. Be able to change expenses by typing it in.
    --People seem to be for it, though not a major problem.
    1E. The option for more different sized rotations.
    --Agree adding a 6th man option would be welcomed.

1G. Better stat sorting.
    1S. Expanded Single Season Simulator Results/options.
    --Stat nerds seem to like these two ideas. As HoustonGM said though, he would prefer more sabermetric-esque stats before more sorting options.

1O. The ability to edit peak stats.
    --Generally in favor. I understand why it operates the way it does, but there should be more freedom given.
    2F. "New position changing"
    2K. "Revenue Sharing"
    --Though revenue sharing has not been talked about much. It isn't that understood.

3. Mixed reviews on these, generally against or indifferent.

2A. "Players can request trades"
    1L. Change how injuries affect vitals.
    1N. New icon system.
    1P. Dynamic Control Numbers.
    2E. "Incentives in contracts and front/back loaded contracts"
    2G. "Dynamic peak starts"
    2I. "Free agent compensation and/or compensation picks"

4. These three seem to be either in the newest patch, or being worked on for 2010. Not sure if 1B is, but I've heard that it is.

1B. Let a GM be able to be an expansion team, and do the expansion draft.
    1C. Put options in the edit player screen.
    1J. The ability to have different numbers of hitters/relief pitchers.

What do you think of this so far?
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    --Douglas Adams

not sure how difficult it would be to add: like how we have game log, and you can see the past ten games, wouldn't mind seeing monthly stats. I don't see this as the most important, i.e. A.I. etc. but it would be neat. Not neccesary, but what are the chances? Wouldn't mind seeing someone's June stats ya know?

I agree.
    I would be welcoming to a full season game log, along with totaled monthly stats.
    Also, it would be great if the splits were more then just vs. left and right.
    If there were also with runners on base, etc.
    "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
    --Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BenFink View Post
    I agree.
    I would be welcoming to a full season game log, along with totaled monthly stats.
    Also, it would be great if the splits were more then just vs. left and right.
    If there were also with runners on base, etc.
    Agreed. As I said above, anything that provides us with more statistics is A+ to me.

Well, briefly:

* Not a biggie for me.

1K. Better amateur draft AI.
    * Yep. Anything that helps the AI will get a vote from me.

* Yep. As you mentioned (and is well known), 1K and 2C happen because the AI doesn't really understand how to build a team, vs. a group of players with decent ratings.

2D. "New free agency"
    * Yep.

* NOPE. Not unless the player personality uhm..engine is changed. As it stands, a great deal of players takes being on a weak team very poorly. While in principle this is a fine idea, we don't want the good players leaving the bad teams. This will just weaken them even more.

* Again, in principle I'm fine with this, but the AI's concept of what makes a good team needs to be enhanced first.

1H. Make arbitration not as reliant on cash.
    * Fine.

* Definite yes. On a similar note, since I don't see it anywhere else, the overall talent level must remain consistent over time. As it stands we see a steady escalation.

1Q. Minor League Rosters
    * No. I already handle maybe 50-70 players. I don't want to make it 125. (25 x 5 levels of play)

* I'm fine with this, though my caveat about AIs building teams remains.

2H. "Rule V Draft"
    * Requires minor league rosters, so no.

2J. "40 Man Roster"
    * Requires minor league rosters, so no. The part I care about is covered by 1R.

* Not a priority, but sure.

* Not realistic (or at least common), so no. 3-4 man rotations are already in game. The only change I'd make is to make them more binding on the AI.

1G. Better stat sorting.
    * Sure, why not.

1S. Expanded Single Season Simulator Results/options.
    * Doesn't interest me, but I don't mind.

1O. The ability to edit peak stats.
    * Eh. The system in place works. I don't mind if it's changed though.

* Sure. This needs tweaking.

2K. "Revenue Sharing"
    * YES. This will help with parity.

* No for the same reason as 2B

* No. The current career development path for BM works fairly well.

1N. New icon system.
    * Wouldn't say no, but not a priority.

1P. Dynamic Control Numbers.
    * No. Pitchers already change from year to year.

* Incentives aren't part of MLB IIRC. Front/back loaded sounds too complex, and I'd worry for the AI being able to handle it.

2G. "Dynamic peak starts"
    * Not needed. Current system works well enough

2I. "Free agent compensation and/or compensation picks"
    * Sigh. It would help parity. On the other hand, it's complex unless you put it right on the FA screen that such and such is an A or B pick. Make it a customizable option and I'm sold.

* Was being worked on last I checked. Yes.

1C. Put options in the edit player screen.
    * Sure.

* Sure.
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)

My turn

YES! I know there's a faction of people that want to scroll through rankings, and while I understand that thinking. Some of us play the game differently, and try work out and stick to a budget (even though Mogul's finances are screwed up). So, typing in the number is still easier than scrolling. Also, a lot of times I want the expense to be 0. I'm not sure that'd work with a scroll as I might just be able to scroll to last in the league.

I think everybody is in agreement with this.

Yes, but has some others have mentioned. The AI needs to have a better understanding of TEAM before this can be implemented.

Yes. I'd rather have 6 man rotations than 4 or 3

Yeah. The AI is a pretty bad game manager. I can take an average team and make them pretty successful in PbP just by making better decisions on replacing pitchers and pinch hitters and such.

1G. Better stat sorting.
    Yes. The "lower is better stats", while the recent improvement was good, still list all the players who haven't played above the players who are not eligible for league leaders. I think that should be fixed.

1I. Improved Scouting.
    This is an idea that's gaining some momentum. And I can be counted among it's supporters. Experienced players should have more accurate scouting than prospects or less experienced players. To a point. I think better scouting teams should still have an advantage when it comes to decline and possibly injury.

It seems like this might make it into the next version. Hopefully before next years' game because I think the AI will struggle with it.

The thing I'd like to see here is less definite outcomes. Instead of black and white I'd like some gray. IRL players try to play through injuries. Players come back from injuries and are less than 100% but can play. Or get re-injured a few games after returning from an injury because it wasn't actually healed. This is surely a ways off, but I'd like to see it.

As HGM as been advocating for the games needs to do better with high school vs college players. There should be a few quality near major league ready college players available in the draft.

1N. New icon system.
    This is one of the few of your ideas. I really don't like.

I kind of use this already. If I have a player with a very low happiness, I usually trade him. So, if it's added to the game, I won't complain. In fact, I'd probably like it.

Though, as with many of the suggestions, I'm not sure the AI is ready for it. Perhaps, it could only apply to Human teams.

Yes. The Bidding System for FA is getting a lot of noise right now. I agree.

Of course.

I would like this. As I probably play the finances part of the game a bit more than most, having some extra flexibility would be nice. But ONLY if I can specify the amount to be paid per year. I think in Madden the contracts increased yearly and some unknown rate. I didn't like that at all. Another aspect the AI would have issues with I think.

Yes, a lot of people hate this. Currently it seems that changing a players position ALWAYS leads to a bad defender. It never leads to an average player, or a good player or even a terrible player at the position.

2I. "Rule V Draft"
    Would require 40 man rosters. Which wouldn't be bad, except it'd be one more thing for the AI to have to learn.

1Q. Minor League Rosters
    YES PLEASE!!! Let me decide how to play my minor leaguers. If I want one of my two highly rated LFers to play RF for a season in A-Ball, let me. If I want to start turning a reliever to a starter in Rookie Ball, let me. If I want my rookie SS to play more than my veteran SS in AAA, let me.

I don't think we need full 25 man rosters for each level, nor do the games have to be simmed, but let us put to 9 guys we have at each level into a roster position.

C:
    1B: Decent Rookie (75/90)
    2B:
    3B:
    SS: Uber Prospect (71/99)
    IF: (SS) Grizzled Vet (72/72)
    IF:
    LF: Franchise Future (75/95)
    CF:
    RF: (LF) ShouldB Good (72/85)
    OF:
    OF:

SP: Future Ace (77/99)
    SP: Injury Callup (79/79)
    SP: (RP) Could Start (72/85)
    SP:
    SP:
    RP:
    RP:
    RP:
    RP:
    RP:
    RP:

This really only comes into play once there are 40-man rosters. And again the AI's use scares me. Though I'd definitely like it.

Part Two:

2J. "40 Man Roster"
    Yes!

2K. "Revenue Sharing"
    Again, the Mogul Financial system needs an overhaul to include other sorts of revenue streams that aren't in the game. But even a straight ability to redistribute some of the current revenue would help. It'd be a lot of work to get the AI to realize it was getting extra revenue though and to be able to project the correct amounts it was going to get.

Filihok's use of 1Q (Minor League rosters) works for me. So long as I can have 'ghost' players at different positions so I really don't need to manage 125 odd players, then I would like a little flexibility in how/where players develop, sure.

It might even be our answer to letting players change positions. If you want your SS to learn how to be a 3B (as an example), sure. Just start playing him at third. If you don't want to risk MLB games, put him at AAA 3B for awhile and let him get used to it.
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)

Quote Originally Posted by CatKnight View Post
    It might even be our answer to letting players change positions. If you want your SS to learn how to be a 3B (as an example), sure. Just start playing him at third. If you don't want to risk MLB games, put him at AAA 3B for awhile and let him get used to it.
    This would require that player development have some kind of "learning" ability which I don't think it does, but I think it'd be awesome if it did.

Which raises a question. If a player switches positions automatically because of playing time there, does that have a different effect on his ratings than if his position were switched by the user?

One last comment I'd like to make regarding this. I think player development is MY favorite part of the game. I'd think there are others out there that think similarly. Creating lineups and allowing further user control at the minor league level would be quite a boon to those of us who like to grow our players up.

Which raises a question. If a player switches positions automatically because of playing time there, does that have a different effect on his ratings than if his position were switched by the user?
    That's not an easy question to answer, but... I think so.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Here's a couple of things that I'd like to see:

Waivers: If a player has exhausted his 3 option years he has to pass Waivers in order to go to the minors.

Disabled List: I see the computer putting guys on the DL for 4 days and then activating them right after they're healthy. They should have to be there for 15 days.

Defensive Depth Chart: I thought when "Depth Chart" was mentioned on 2k9 that this was what it was going to be. It's frustrating to me in sim leagues to have Brian McCann being subbed in as a defensive replacement at 2B on his off day and then noticing that Martin Prado didn't play in that game. We also can't suggest to the sim who our preferred Pinch Hitters are. I see some guys on my bench for the entire season and only get about 10 ABs when I feel they're a top bench bat.

I think a 3-Deep Scroll Down system would be good. It only needs to be one screen and doesn't need to be different for RHP or LHP Whoever is starter vs RHP is automatically put in as the starter and then you have two more slots to fill in. If I'm the Braves and I have Martin Prado as my starter, I could also select him to backup Chipper at 3B.

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, DH, PH vs RHP, and PH vs LHP
    "It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great."

First Class Mogul - 50 Seasons and Counting!

defense Guest

I really like the front/back-loaded contracts idea as long as long as the AI is able to handle it responsibly

I also think you should not be able to buy out MLB contracts as it isn't realistic

Quote Originally Posted by defense View Post
    I also think you should not be able to buy out MLB contracts as it isn't realistic
    Huh?