Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone Played Flatspace?

LongGone Guest

Re: Anyone Played Flatspace?

Thanks to you guys, the goodness continues to grow. Seriously though, I appreciate all the info and links. I played X-Com when it first came out and I enjoyed it, so I'll check out UFO: AI.

LongGone Guest

Not a space shooter, but Orbiter looks very interesting. It's a free space flight simulator. I remember playing Falcon 4.0 back in the day and I thought it had a steep learning curve, I think Orbiter has it beat in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by defcheetah View Post
    Ahhh X-Com, I actually bought Laser Squad Nemesis which was made by the creator I believe. But it's not my thing its cool bringing out the troops and placing them, then in the end you can watch your battle like a little gunfight movie but it takes soooooooooo long. There is also a game similar to Flatspace called X you can find it at Best Buy for under $10.
    It's been well known for awhile now that the Gollop Brothers (guys behind the first 3 Xcom games) really want to do another, but whoever holds the license rights (I think it's Atari) wants ludicrous money.

Definitely give UFO : AI a try...I really liked what they did with it. Or, Hell, the entire Xcom lineup has been optimized for XP and Vista and is on Steam and Gamersgate. I think it's $15 for the whole series (though, really, Interceptor and Enforcer were just awful).

Space Games aren't really my thing, they never really have been. I do like flight simulators and stuff like that though (Likely the airforce blood in me)

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

I LOVE X-Com: Apocalypse. I could play it endlessly, for all time. If UFO:AI is anything like it, I'll give it a try.

The other two, UFO Defense and TFTD, were too slow...I liked the real-time option in Apoc.

About a year ago I bought UFO: Extraterrestrials, I think it was called...supposed to be an X-Com sequel in spirit...but wow, it sucked. It was basically UFO Defense...with slightly improved graphics. After 10+ years of innovation, it was just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by gleklufdshlaw View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have all the answers...

LongGone Guest

There's another game that I've played and really liked. It's called Space Trader and originally came out for the Palm and Pocket PC platform. But they have a Windows version at: http://spacetraderwin.sourceforge.net/home.php

No flashy graphics, it's more of a strategy type game, where you can choose to be a trader, pirate, etc. The goal is simple, make enough $$ to buy your own moon and retire. It's a lot of fun though and I've wasted countless hours on it especially when I was stuck in the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Alloutwar View Post
    I LOVE X-Com: Apocalypse. I could play it endlessly, for all time. If UFO:AI is anything like it, I'll give it a try.

The other two, UFO Defense and TFTD, were too slow...I liked the real-time option in Apoc.

About a year ago I bought UFO: Extraterrestrials, I think it was called...supposed to be an X-Com sequel in spirit...but wow, it sucked. It was basically UFO Defense...with slightly improved graphics. After 10+ years of innovation, it was just sad.
    Yeah, the whole commercial UFO series (Afterlight, Aftermath, ET) is just a wannabe Xcom.

The freeware one if probably the most closely related to the first Xcom, though it does seem to have a faster pace, both in terms of R&D and in the tactical battles.