Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 11.25 Too many free agents seeking 2 year contracts

11.25 Too many free agents seeking 2 year contracts

I'm on January 1st right now. Every free agent is seeking 2 years. Every one.

The role players, poor relievers, etc. These are the guys that in real life get 1 year contracts. During the offseason in Mogul, nobody gets 1 year contracts, it's 2 or more. 1 year contracts only start getting doled out come Opening Day.

Just a major pet peeve of mine (but this doesn't even begin to explain my issues with how free agency just simply doesn't match up with real life...).

michaelg123789 Guest

Re: More variation in free agency

Yeah, definitely need to address this.

St. Louis, MO (current), Fairfield, IA (permanent)

Adding to that, as I get deeper into dynasties top players are left on the FA market come opening day and into the season. This is very irritating because it interrupts their careers as I like to see top players have full statistical seasons. Is there any way this can be changed? Or a setting that can be changed? I sometimes manually, in commish mode, assign those players to teams that CAN afford and NEED that certain position filled. It just gets annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by bucher34 View Post
    Adding to that, as I get deeper into dynasties top players are left on the FA market come opening day and into the season. This is very irritating because it interrupts their careers as I like to see top players have full statistical seasons. Is there any way this can be changed? Or a setting that can be changed? I sometimes manually, in commish mode, assign those players to teams that CAN afford and NEED that certain position filled. It just gets annoying.
    A bunch of Roger Clemens players? Sometimes it happens. full statistical seasons? I always just look at it as, people get injured and it takes time away from their playing time.

St. Louis, MO (current), Fairfield, IA (permanent)

Re: 11.25 All free agents seeking 2 year contracts

You can look at it that way, but these players are usually in their primes and SHOULD be on teams. It just annoys me that's all.

Re: 11.25 All free agents seeking 2 year contracts

Just a correction, this isn't ALL free agents. The free agents that were asking for more years had already been signed by the time I looked at the free agent pool (around January 1). It starts off okay at the start of the offseason, but then as the top players get signed and the rest don't, they lower their yearly salary demands and also drop down (if they werent already there) to 2 years, and it stays that way throughout spring training. I've never seen a free agent sign a 1 year deal in the offseason, even though it's a very common thing in real life. Only once Opening Day comes do free agents start signing 1 year deals.

So, just to clarify, it's not that ALL free agents are asking for 2 year deals to begin with. It's just that, as the offseason progresses, eventually all of them are.

Re: 11.25 Too many free agents seeking 2 year contracts

Bump. Still not seeing any AI team signing a player to a 1 year deal unless its during the regular season....We've already seen multiple 1 year contracts signed by free agents in real life, and there's still 3 months until opening day.

To go along with this, there just simply needs to be more variance in contract length. A rough outline:

For non-relief pitchers:
    Superstars - 7-10 years
    Star players - 4-6 years
    Solid players - 3-5 years
    Good bench players - 1-3 years
    Below average players - 1-2 years
    Bench/AAA players - 1 year/minor league
    Players below AAA - minor league contracts

For relief pitchers, it gets murkier, with the maximum length around 4 years, which anybody from excellent closers (K-Rod, Francisco Cordero) to good setup men (Scott Linebrink, Justin Speier), can get.

Obviously, this is also adjusted for age - a superstar 38 year old isn't getting a deal longer than 4 years at the max - but I think it's a good rough outline.

(As I've mentioned before, along with this, I'd like to see the salaries scaled to more accurately match the current real life market, but I think that varying the contract lengths more would be an easier thing to do, at least at first)

Over the long haul, this leads to MANY players having careers which are arranged like...a couple seasons (1-6) with their first team, and then 2 years with one team, 2 years with another, 2 years with another, etc. The only players that avoid this are stars.

Bump.

twinswin Guest

This is one of my biggest problems with the game. Free Agency is a mess. I know every year by waiting I can just pick up the best bargains late in the Free Agency period which allows me to stack my depth.

The good pitchers all get taken in the first couple weeks, but you can easily have an All Star bench with everyone getting 2yr 2 millionish if wait till Spring Training. I think this is more a function of the AI messing up their finances so much that they can't go for clear and cheap upgrades later on in the FA period.

You can even see this when you start a game in beta. Every free agent is "seeking" at least a 2 year contract.

Of course having players asking for two year contracts wouldn't be that big of a deal if they didn't always get it. I just ran through December a day at a time and watched the transaction list. 25 players signed, one for three years and 24 for two.

They should all be asking for a 2+ year contract initially. It's just that 35yo mediocre bench guys and middle relievers still hold out for 2 years until opening day.