Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Brewers GM: Yankees 'overbidding' for Sabathia

Brewers GM: Yankees 'overbidding' for Sabathia

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .

Re: Brewers GM: Yankees 'overbidding' for Sabathia

lol is it supprising
    The Constitution was designed by the founders to save people from themselves. It never fails to amaze me how good of a job they did
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!
    Death don't want ya... But the Lotus do... so bring ya wicked shlt we gonna bring ours too!!!
    ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><((((>

Another case of a small market team crying about losing their star. I actually feel sorry for small market team's and wish they could keep their stars, but no need to cry about the Yankees "overbidding." Did the Yanks overbid? Well, probably, but I'd say that it just shows how serious Cash and co. is about bringing in CC.

I hope the Yanks bid big on CC, Lowe, Burnett..tons of FAs. I hope they just go nuts and then when they find that some of them are disappointing and they are attached to them for so long and for so much money and they keep falling short..we can laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.

Buying WS rings doesn't work. It's about developing your own guys and supplementing the team with FAs..not entirely depending on FAs. I don't care how many FAs they bring in..they won't be the favorites in the AL East.

Quote Originally Posted by KowboyKoop View Post
    I hope the Yanks bid big on CC, Lowe, Burnett..tons of FAs. I hope they just go nuts and then when they find that some of them are disappointing and they are attached to them for so long and for so much money and they keep falling short..we can laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh.

Buying WS rings doesn't work. It's about developing your own guys and supplementing the team with FAs..not entirely depending on FAs. I don't care how many FAs they bring in..they won't be the favorites in the AL East.
    Buying WS rings doesn't always work, but it does help! (see the Red Sox in 2004 and 2007)

Also, if we bring in CC, Burnett, Tex - I don't see how we wouldn't be favorites. Though, I don't see us getting Tex, as Cash doesn't seem to be pursuing him that aggressively.

Quote Originally Posted by koolzach1 View Post
    Buying WS rings doesn't always work, but it does help! (see the Red Sox in 2004 and 2007)

Also, if we bring in CC, Burnett, Tex - I don't see how we wouldn't be favorites. Though, I don't see us getting Tex, as Cash doesn't seem to be pursuing him that aggressively.
    You mean the Yankees in the 90's?

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

defense Guest

Buying WS rings doesn't work. It's about developing your own guys and supplementing the team with FAs
    Yankees tried that this year, when they relied on the Cabrera's, and Hughes', and Kennedy's, and Gardner's. You know what happened? Correct, worst season in the past 14 years

How many "total rebuilding, no free agency/impact trade" teams are in playoff cotention year in, and year out? How many teams like the Yankees, Angels, Mets, etc. are consistantly in playoff contention year in and year out? While you should also have home grown players, you also need some impact players from trades/free agency to bring you to the next level

....because the Rays and BoSox are still going to be better. Not all of those FA signings are going to work out...and a lot of other players on that team are just getting older.

Yes, big payroll helps and is an obvious advantage over everyone else..but it isn't the key to success.

On a sidenote..MLB needs a salary cap AND a salary basement. 50 million to 150 million...I think that's pretty reasonable. 150 million is plenty big enough...

Quote Originally Posted by defense View Post
    Yankees tried that this year, when they relied on the Cabrera's, and Hughes', and Kennedy's, and Gardner's. You know what happened? Correct, worst season in the past 14 years

How many "total rebuilding, no free agency/impact trade" teams are in playoff cotention year in, and year out? How many teams like the Yankees, Angels, Mets, etc. are consistantly in playoff contention year in and year out? While you should also have home grown players, you also need some impact players from trades/free agency to bring you to the next level
    That's why I said SUPPLEMENTING THAT with trades/FAs. I didn't say a team should sign absolutely no FAs or make no significant trades. That would be silly....but having good enough prospects to pull off the significant trades is key...and spending big money on one or two players isn't near enough to make you good. It's about developing enough of your own players.

Another case of a small market team crying about losing their star. I actually feel sorry for small market team's and wish they could keep their stars, but no need to cry about the Yankees "overbidding." Did the Yanks overbid? Well, probably, but I'd say that it just shows how serious Cash and co. is about bringing in CC.
    or just how foolish Cash & co. are with their money;

Clemens
    Giambi
    Pavano
    R. Johnson
    Irabu
    Igawa
    Wright
    K. Brown
    Damon
    Farnsworth

Those FAs are all players that underperformed their FA contracts offered by the Yanks in recent years and are only the ones off the top of my heads. There have been far more 'mistakes' than 'successes' which is why the Yanks are where they are at.

HAHAHAHAAHAHA this whole post is extremely comical.

....because the Rays and BoSox are still going to be better. Not all of those FA signings are going to work out...and a lot of other players on that team are just getting older.

Yes, big payroll helps and is an obvious advantage over everyone else..but it isn't the key to success.

On a sidenote..MLB needs a salary cap AND a salary basement. 50 million to 150 million...I think that's pretty reasonable. 150 million is plenty big enough...
    never would happen and i think its past time people move past this idea. it will never happen and to be honest, i'm not totally sold it will benefit the league.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    never would happen and i think its past time people move past this idea. it will never happen and to be honest, i'm not totally sold it will benefit the league.
    I don't think it will happen in the forseeable future. Never say never.

I think it would benefit the league b/c it would force some owners to spend a little more. I think it'd be good to limit how much the biggest teams should be able to spend, but I certainly don't think it should be something that forces all the teams to be equal...but come on, it's clearly a problem when one team is spending 200+ million a year and another team is spending 40 million. The cheap owners should be forced to at least put a decent amount of money into payroll and the biggest markets should just be kept from going out of control. The way things are now isn't that bad, but it could be a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    or just how foolish Cash & co. are with their money;

Clemens
    Giambi
    Pavano
    R. Johnson
    Irabu
    Igawa
    Wright
    K. Brown
    Damon
    Farnsworth

Those FAs are all players that underperformed their FA contracts offered by the Yanks in recent years and are only the ones off the top of my heads. There have been far more 'mistakes' than 'successes' which is why the Yanks are where they are at.
    The thing is... Cashman and co. have the ability to be "foolish" their their money... They are able to make mistakes without it crippling the team. Clemens won multiple WS titles for us the 1st time around, the 2nd time around he was nothing more than a middle of the rotation type SP with a low 4 ERA. Damon has actually worked out for us, if you haven't noticed. I'll take 2/3 very good years (as a leadoff hitter) anyday of the week. Giambi has worked out mostly, but he didn't fully live up to his contract. Point is, some signings work out, and some don't - We can afford to make mistakes.

defense Guest

That's why I said SUPPLEMENTING THAT with trades/FAs. I didn't say a team should sign absolutely no FAs or make no significant trades. That would be silly....but having good enough prospects to pull off the significant trades is key...and spending big money on one or two players isn't near enough to make you good. It's about developing enough of your own players.
    What do you call:

Derek Jeter
    Chein Ming Wang
    Joba Chamberlain
    Phillip Hughes
    Melky Cabrera
    Jose Veras
    Mariano Rivera
    Jorge Posada
    Brett Gardner

All of them are HOME GROWN who should have prominent roles on this year's Yankees club. Now the Yankees have to SUPPLEMENT it with free agents, which is exactly what they are doing