Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lincecum wins NL Cy Young Award

Lincecum wins NL Cy Young Award

No surprise really.

NEW YORK -- Tim Lincecum is the National League Cy Young Award winner, taking home pitching's highest honor in his second major league season.

The slender kid with the whirling windup on Tuesday joined Mike McCormick (1967) as the only San Francisco Giants pitchers to win a Cy Young.

Lincecum received 23 of 32 first-place votes and 137 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America. Brandon Webb of the Arizona Diamondbacks got four first-place votes and finished second with 73 points.

Re: Lincecum wins NL Cy Young Award

Yay! The BBWAA voted correctly! I was afraid he would not win it

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Good choice.

Full results can be found here.

Code:
    Name	         1st	2nd	3rd	Tot.
    Lincecum	23	7	1	137
    Webb	        4	15	8	73
    Santana	        4	8	11	55
    Lidge	        0	1	7	10
    Sabathia	1	1	1	9
    Dempster			4	4
    It would've been nice if Santana rightfully placed 2nd, but that Webb placed 2nd just goes to show that we still have a lot of work to due in eliminating the "Wins = How you pitched" mentatilty, but it's nice to see that Lincecum (who was really 1a to Santana's 1b, they were ridiculously close) won.

Dempster should not be on there, and Sabathia should have topped Lidge

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsoxRockies View Post
    Dempster should not be on there, and Sabathia should have topped Lidge
    That's just nitpicking, considering the difference between Sabathia and Lidge was 1 3rd place vote, and Dempster just got some throwaway 3rd place votes.

I'm pleasantly surprised, however, that Sabathia was placed on just 3 ballots. He's going to get more support for the MVP award than he did for the Cy Young, which I can't comprehend, but this gives me more confidence that he or Manny Ramirez won't steal the MVP award (Ryan Howard, though....).

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    That's just nitpicking, considering the difference between Sabathia and Lidge was 1 3rd place vote, and Dempster just got some throwaway 3rd place votes.

I'm pleasantly surprised, however, that Sabathia was placed on just 3 ballots. He's going to get more support for the MVP award than he did for the Cy Young, which I can't comprehend, but this gives me more confidence that he or Manny Ramirez won't steal the MVP award (Ryan Howard, though....).
    Yes, from the Media's reaction, it did seem Sabathia would get a lot of votes

Sometimes I think teams just say that to drum up support for different candidates and get them some more positive press... especially when they're not in the large media markets. It's good PR. It's like a small-market team saying that they have "4 or 5" guys who should be selected to the All-Star Game each season, even though only one of them even will.

Santana and even Lidge should have topped Webb. Webb should have NO first place votes. But nice to see that the right guy won.

Quote Originally Posted by justanewguy View Post
    Santana and even Lidge should have topped Webb. Webb should have NO first place votes. But nice to see that the right guy won.
    Webb was good, yes he melted down, but he was still very good. If he had melted down early in the season and then pitched good, I am sure you might not say that

Webb was good, yes he melted down, but he was still very good. If he had melted down early in the season and then pitched good, I am sure you might not say that
    I can't speak for justanewguy, but I'd still say it....because I look at overall performance. And Webb's one of my favorite pitchers. He just simply wasn't close to being the top pitcher in the league. Lincecum and Santana were above him by a good distance. Webb falls into a group of excellent pitchers, but not close to Lincecum and Santana (along with Hamels, Dempster, Volquez, Haren, etc.).

By the way, I'd love to hire the BBWAA's website designer if I ever make my own website. That guy's got some talent! [/sarcasm] Seriously, is the BBWAA so anti-progress that they can't even put together a decent looking website?

I can't speak for justanewguy, but I'd still say it....because I look at overall performance. And Webb's one of my favorite pitchers. He just simply wasn't close to being the top pitcher in the league. Lincecum and Santana were above him by a good distance. Webb falls into a group of excellent pitchers, but not close to Lincecum and Santana (along with Hamels, Dempster, Volquez, Haren, etc.).

By the way, I'd love to hire the BBWAA's website designer if I ever make my own website. That guy's got some talent! [/sarcasm] Seriously, is the BBWAA so anti-progress that they can't even put together a decent looking website?
    That site is HIDEOUS! And I am not saying that Webb is th best out there, just that Newguy seemed to be underrating him

I've built better lol and thats sad
    The Constitution was designed by the founders to save people from themselves. It never fails to amaze me how good of a job they did
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!
    Death don't want ya... But the Lotus do... so bring ya wicked shlt we gonna bring ours too!!!
    ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><((((>

That site is HIDEOUS! And I am not saying that Webb is th best out there, just that Newguy seemed to be underrating him
    All he said was that he didn't deserve any first place votes, and he'd put Santana (definitely) and Lidge (debatable) above him.

As for that website, I'd also like to point out that the title of the page is 2007 NL Cy Young winner.

I'd still place the same value on him. Because the numbers would be the same. An early meltdown would have required a Sabathian second half performance to overcome Lincecum.

I would have favored Webb over Lincecum and everyone else until his numbers gradually slipped below that of Lincecum and Santana.

Mainly, I don't understand how Webb managed to get any first place votes at all, with Lincecum and Santana out there.

W... T... F...

That page actually hurt my eyes and burned its image into my retinas. I saw light green in my gmail for about 15 seconds after viewing it.

That color is so 1999.

What's wrong with Webb being in 2nd place? He arguably did better then Santana and by any quantifiable measure did better then Lidge, Dempster, Hamels, etc
    ]