Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Matt Holliday to the A's!

Re: Matt Holliday to the A's!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    There's one massive difference between the two, a difference that people often overlook when making comparisons between players. Kendrick never walks. 997 career plate appearances, 30 walks. Pedroia doesn't walk a ton, but he'll walk 50 times over a full season. Kendrick would be lucky to walk 20 times over a full season.

30:163 BB:K ratio for Kendrick. 104:101 for Pedroia.

It may seem trivial to some, but that's a world of difference between the skill sets of the two players.
    I had not seen that stat. And that is not trivial, not at all. I take that very seriously. and would definately choose a better eye. But still, Kendrick should become simular to Pedrioa in the other categories

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

I'm pretty sure that the Yanks would not do a Cano for Vlad deal. Sure, Vlad is the better player for the next couple of years, but Cano will challenge for batting titles for many years to come, at least IMO; I am not ready to give up on him because of 1 average year.

Plus, the Yanks are set at the corner outfield positions (LF - Damon/Matsui, RF - Nady).

Quote Originally Posted by koolzach1 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the Yanks would not do a Cano for Vlad deal. Sure, Vlad is the better player for the next couple of years, but Cano will challenge for batting titles for many years to come, at least IMO; I am not ready to give up on him because of 1 average year.

Plus, the Yanks are set at the corner outfield positions (LF - Damon/Matsui, RF - Nady).
    Again, it's not a completely realistic trade, and I would NOT do it if I were the Yankees. But it's not that far fetched, and Cano is a name I'm reading quite a bit in the hot stove stuff.

Yanks will load up wherever they can to replace Giambi and Abreu. And Matsui should probably be DHing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by justanewguy View Post
    Again, it's not a completely realistic trade, and I would NOT do it if I were the Yankees. But it's not that far fetched, and Cano is a name I'm reading quite a bit in the hot stove stuff.

Yanks will load up wherever they can to replace Giambi and Abreu. And Matsui should probably be DHing anyway.
    Oh, I know it's a realistic trade, but I would hope that Cashman wouldn't pull the trigger on that one. From what I've heard - Cano isn't getting traded unless it's for a front of the rotation starting pitcher. I would just much rather keep Damon in LF, Nady in RF and sign a CF to a 1 year deal or trade for a decent CF with a year left on his deal.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsoxRockies View Post
    I had not seen that stat. And that is not trivial, not at all. I take that very seriously. and would definately choose a better eye. But still, Kendrick should become simular to Pedrioa in the other categories
    Im not really sure the two are similar, Pedrioa had a rather unusal season frm his perspective, while he still hits for average his slugging and HR totals were way up ( he hit more than 10 HRs only once in minors and had 21 hr in in 1100 PAs) as were his steal totals ( 21 @ 95% were a far cry for his 29 @ 62% in 4 previous seasons)

Kendrick has gone the other way (he's a 591 slugger in the minors with over 100 steal attempst in about 1600 PAs)

that in addition to the K/BB issue stated earlier.

Kendrick will be a star 2B if he stays healthy... I wouldn't exactly compare him with Pedroia, though. Kendrick still hasn't reached his potential, while Pedroia has already reached his and will likely have no where to go but down (which isn't a bad thing, considering this season was a very good one). Plus, Kendrick is almost never healthy, while Pedroia will play 150+ games a year (very tough player).

I think Howie Kendrick will hit for more power at his peak than Dustin Pedroia will/is at his.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    I think Howie Kendrick will hit for more power at his peak than Dustin Pedroia will/is at his.
    Exactly... Dustin Pedroia is basically a David Eckstein X2. Let me point out that I said X2, meaning that I do acknowledge that he is a large step above Eckstein, but still the same body type, and skill set.

I think if I had to make a decision over which one of them I would want over the long-term (the next 5 to 10 years), I would probably choose Kendrick. He's hit .306 at the Major League level, albeit in three shortened seasons. He's a lifetime .360(!!!) hitter in the minor leagues though, so if he improves his BB/K ratio and learns to read pitches better, maybe he could land somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    I think if I had to make a decision over which one of them I would want over the long-term (the next 5 to 10 years), I would probably choose Kendrick. He's hit .306 at the Major League level, albeit in three shortened seasons. He's a lifetime .360(!!!) hitter in the minor leagues though, so if he improves his BB/K ratio and learns to read pitches better, maybe he could land somewhere in the middle.
    Yeah, Pedroia has always been projected as a solid #2 hitter or bottom of the lineup hitter. I've heard many scouts project Kendrick as a middle of the lineup hitter.