Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Matt Holliday to the A's!

Re: Matt Holliday to the A's!

This might not even happen. Actually, I'm going to make a prediction- this deal DOES NOT HAPPEN in the end.
    ]

The Rockies will receive outfielder Carlos Gonzalez, left-handed pitcher Greg Smith and closer Huston Street in return, though they may not keep Street. One source said Monday that the Rockies are prepared to turn around and trade him -- though to which team he wasn't sure.
    It is finalized...... The only good to come of this will be Yamiviets reaction....

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

michaelg123789 Guest

Yeah very interesting deal here.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsoxRockies View Post
    It is finalized...... The only good to come of this will be Yamiviets reaction....
    It's not yet finalized. Terms have been agreed to.

Don't understand what the A's are doing. We'll see what they can get for Holliday at the deadline I guess...b/c they aren't signing him long-term and this move isn't NEARLY enough to make them a contender in the West. Their offense was awfully bad last year when they "threw in the towel" or whatever. We'll see what they can get for Holliday at the deadline I suppose.

Looks like Street will be moved by the Rockies
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    For some reason I thought rockies was a big black guy.

I was wrong.
    Back at this dynasty thing again: Resurrecting The Rockies: 2001 Onward

Possible package with Garrett Atkins to Cleveland perhaps?

I don't know the article named multiple teams

I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by EVEN11323 View Post
    Possible package with Garrett Atkins to Cleveland perhaps?
    Not G-At too... ... He is one of my favorites....

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Quote Originally Posted by KowboyKoop View Post
    Don't understand what the A's are doing. We'll see what they can get for Holliday at the deadline I guess...b/c they aren't signing him long-term and this move isn't NEARLY enough to make them a contender in the West. Their offense was awfully bad last year when they "threw in the towel" or whatever. We'll see what they can get for Holliday at the deadline I suppose.
    With a league worst .242 average, they are looking to add some pop to it, so it isn't a crazy deal to consider from the A's prospective.

Street lost his closer role and Gonzalez is okay but one of many outfielders in the organization who does the same thing. Smith had a so-so season and even though he is young, apparently didn't impress anyone enough to want to keep him.

The A's obviously feel the pitchers they still have will be able to get the job done and the addition of Holliday and rumors of Giambi coming back makes the offense a little more potent.

This deal should work out great for the Rockies if we get Huston STreet AND Carlos Gonzalez. Carlos is an outfielder who can almost replace matt in a couple years, while Street is an upgrade I'd say from Fuentes.
    My Dynasty:

Saving Baseball In Portland

My Retired Dynasties:

The Day Baseball Changed Forever: Part 1
    Dynasty Hall-of-Fame nominee

The Decade Baseball Changed Forever: Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by KowboyKoop View Post
    I'm not sure I understand either...

I agree 100% with everything you said. Although, I wouldn't put it past Beane and the A's to be making a serious effort to contend.

this move isn't NEARLY enough to make them a contender in the West.
    That's the thing... could this be the precursor to some other surprise deals or signings? After all, the A's are used to playing in a division that is relatively easy to win by putting together a team based on Moneyball principles. Now that's changed, as the Angels are getting better and better each season, and as Texas looks to be a possibly legit contender as soon as next season.

I think it could be that they're seeing if they can put together a contender with low risk and high reward, and the team will be scrapped, as usual, as July 31 approaches, in the event that they can't contend.

Beane will lose his job if he can't start making a push for the division pennant (or wild card) every year, like he used to.

RSR: G-At will probably be moved

Street could be dealt

Holliday could go to the DODGERS?! from what I have heard it's possible.

I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rockiesfan4ever View Post
    Holliday could go to the DODGERS?! from what I have heard it's possible.
    I've heard that too. It's been floating around since June, actually. I really hope it doesn't happen.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Holliday's career home/away splits are as follows:

Home: .357/.423/.645
    Away: .280/.348/.455

Hard to tell how much of this is based on playing at his home stadium and how much is based on Coors itself, but it has to be a little scary for any teams considering this guy for the long term. Not that those away numbers are anything to sneeze at, but an .803 OPS away from Coors should be something of a huge red flag for any team thinking they might want to toss some BIG money his way.

Also, I looked it up earlier and don't remember quite exactly, but I think McAfee ranked #14 this season and #29 last season in terms of HR-friendliness.

Quote Originally Posted by justanewguy View Post
    Beane will lose his job if he can't start making a push for the division pennant (or wild card) every year, like he used to.
    I don't know about that. I'd put him in the small category of GMs with near 100% job security barring catastrophe.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Holliday's career home/away splits are as follows:

Home: .357/.423/.645
    Away: .280/.348/.455

Hard to tell how much of this is based on playing at his home stadium and how much is based on Coors itself, but it has to be a little scary for any teams considering this guy for the long term. Not that those away numbers are anything to sneeze at, but an .803 OPS away from Coors should be something of a huge red flag for any team thinking they might want to toss some BIG money his way.
    It's also important to remember that Holliday plays a large portion of his road games in two of the pitcher-friendliest parks in the major leagues in PETCO and AT&T. Dodger Stadium in 2008 was also very pitcher-friendly (though not so in 2007/2006).

He's had 151 PA's in Dodger Stadium and hit .259/.325/.415. 171 PA's in PETCO and hit .205/.265/.365. 185 PA's in AT&T and hit .272/.335/.414. You take out those, and his road numbers look much nicer. Of course, it is offset some as he'd be moving to the tougher league and as you noted, McAfee isn't hitter friendly by any means and favors pitchers by a sizable margin.

It's also worth noting that Holliday's road OPS has steadily been increasing each year of his career:

2004: .654
    2005: .729
    2006: .819
    2007: .860
    2008: .892

Holliday would likely continue putting up 130-140 OPS+'s wherever he is. It's not conclusive by any means, but take a look at other Colorado players that left Colorado...most of them continued putting up similar OPS+'s elsewhere. Their raw stats may look worse, but adjusted for ballpark, they're not. I'd expect at least .300/.370/.500 from Holliday playing his home games elsewhere (except PETCO).