Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brewers and Sabathia

Brewers and Sabathia

If the Brewers offer CC 4 years 100 million, is it a good deal for Sabathia and is it a good deal for the Brewers? Also Ken Mecha has been named the new manager for the brewers, good move?

Re: Brewers and Sabathia

Quote Originally Posted by BrewCrewFan255 View Post
    If the Brewers offer CC 4 years 100 million, is it a good deal for Sabathia and is it a good deal for the Brewers?
    Good deal for the Brewers. Sabathia could and will get a better deal for him elsewhere, though.

Also Ken Mecha has been named the new manager for the brewers, good move?
    First I'm hearing that, but yeah, solid choice.

Another question, do you think it's a good idea for a team to invest 20 + million on 1 player? Like for the Brewers Sabathia would be 1/4 of the team's payroll.

Another question, do you think it's a good idea for a team to invest 20 + million on 1 player? Like for the Brewers Sabathia would be 1/4 of the team's payroll.
    Depends on the team's finances, the team's outlook, the quality of the player, the length of the deal, etc. Sabathia at $20+ mil for 4 years is a good idea for the Brewers. It's a bargain.

Ken macha is not a bad manager, but he is not that creative. he is easy to control by the front office, so next year may show how good the Brewers front office is

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Depends on the team's finances, the team's outlook, the quality of the player, the length of the deal, etc. Sabathia at $20+ mil for 4 years is a good idea for the Brewers. It's a bargain.
    It depends... if u can say flip Fielder for Cain or someone like that I think it would be an AWESOME move for the brew crew. They need 2 starters tho... if they are going to run with Sabathia and not a stud behind him I dont think it will be worth it. better off spending it elsewhere...

either way I think their 1st move it so flip fielder for some pitching.. a MLB ready starter and a A or AA guy with possible high upside. Home run hitters with 260-280 BA are a dime a dozen. Trade fielder and sign Giambi to a 1 year deal.
    The Constitution was designed by the founders to save people from themselves. It never fails to amaze me how good of a job they did
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!
    Death don't want ya... But the Lotus do... so bring ya wicked shlt we gonna bring ours too!!!
    ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><((((>

If the Brewers offer CC 4 years 100 million, is it a good deal for Sabathia and is it a good deal for the Brewers?
    This is a question that really can't be answered.

Basically the Brewers are buying CC for a price.

How do you determine if something is a good value for you? It depends how much you have to spend, what the alternatives are, how much use you will derive from it. We aren't privy to much of the Brewers financial information, so we really can't make those kinds of judgements.

That said, you'd have to have a pretty well built team to spend a quarter of your salary one one player and make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    It depends... if u can say flip Fielder for Cain or someone like that I think it would be an AWESOME move for the brew crew.
    Of course.

either way I think their 1st move it so flip fielder for some pitching.. a MLB ready starter and a A or AA guy with possible high upside. Home run hitters with 260-280 BA are a dime a dozen.
    Hitters with 50 homer power, at the age of 24, aren't a dime a dozen, though.

The only way you trade Fielder is if you get back a pitcher of similar age who has proven himself at a decently high level in the majors (like the aforementioned Cain).

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Hitters with 50 homer power, at the age of 24, aren't a dime a dozen, though.
    true... I worry about his weight tho... these 1B are getting bigger and bigger it seams and then having back and knee trouble. He would worry me thats all... but then again... trade for him and sign him to 4-5 years thats still only 29. Good point about the age Houston
    The only way you trade Fielder is if you get back a pitcher of similar age who has proven himself at a decently high level in the majors (like the aforementioned Cain).
    He was the only guy I could think of that might be available.
    Guys like Lester, Volquez, etc are the same type but I cant see being available.
    The Constitution was designed by the founders to save people from themselves. It never fails to amaze me how good of a job they did
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!
    Death don't want ya... But the Lotus do... so bring ya wicked shlt we gonna bring ours too!!!

My outlook for the Brewers:

Trade: Fielder for Cain
    Sign: CC Sabathia 4/100
    Accecpt the option on Cameron
    Decline option on Gagne
    Offer Durham 2 years 4 million per year
    Trade: Rickie Weeks for a 3rd baseman
    Sign: Fuentes 6 million per year for 3 years
    Trade: Hall to the Yanks for a bad prospect
    Move Hardy to 3B, Escobar SS

C: Jason Kendall
    1B: Matt Gamel
    2B: Ray Durham
    3B: J.J. Hardy
    SS: Aleciads Escobar
    LF: Ryan Braun
    CF: Mike Cameron
    RF: Corey Hart

Rotation

1. CC Sabathia
    2. Matt Cain
    3. Yovani Gallarado
    4. Manny Parra
    5. Dave Bush

CL: Brian Fuentes
    SR: Salmon Torres
    7th: Seth McClung

I like it... the only thing is... if they spend for Sabathia I dont think they can afford Fuentes

The question with Gamel is... Is he ready??? Those strikeouts in AA are scary... can he adapt to MLB pitching and not strikeout 200+ times? I think he needs a season at AAA. Sighn a stopgap guy like Giambi of see if griffey can play 1st
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    The question with Gamel is... Is he ready??? Those strikeouts in AA are scary... can he adapt to MLB pitching and not strikeout 200+ times? I think he needs a season at AAA. Sighn a stopgap guy like Giambi of see if griffey can play 1st
    Griffey can't hit enough to be a positive at first base.

Anyway, that's an awfully optimistic outlook of the Brewers offseason. I doubt they'll be able to compete in the market for Sabathia, let alone both him and Fuentes.

I thought about that, if the Brewers can afford Sabathia and Fuentes. Here's my reasoning, declining the option on Gagne saves 10 million, Fielder is due arbatration this year which means he will probably get 7-10 million, that's 17 million, Hardy will be due about 4-5 million through arbitration which means they would have about 12 million, trading Weeks would save them 2-3 million which brings it to 15 million, and letting Sheets go would save them another 8 million. So they would have about 23 million, Sabathia made I believe 8-10 million last year, so it would go to 31 million. You give Sabathia 25, Fuentes 6 which is 31. Then I understand they have Durham and all that yet, but this is what I figured out.

thats adding 7-10 million. you cant add that for Fielder because he did not make it this year
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!

Fuentes is not going to sign a contract for a $6 million salary. He'll command at least $10 million and likely $12 million.