Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uh, WTF? Really, fans?

Re: Uh, WTF? Really, fans?

I see nothing wrong with the All-Star game winner (the league) getting the 4 home games in the World Series. Prior to that it was just rotated every year. I fail to see how simply rotating it is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampdog View Post
    I see nothing wrong with the All-Star game winner (the league) getting the 4 home games in the World Series. Prior to that it was just rotated every year. I fail to see how simply rotating it is better.
    If the All Star game is going to have meaning, than it should actually feature the best players in the game, rather than the most popular players plus some manager picks. And they should also probably do away with the 1 player per team rule.

I think homefield advantage should go to the league with the better interleague record, personally.

That would be fine with me as well. Nonetheless, the HFA for the WS has been determined only two different ways in baseball. I dont see any difference between a year-in, year-out ratation (in the past), or the way its determined now. And remember, the HFA in baseball is comparitively small anyway, so I see it as no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    If the All Star game is going to have meaning, than it should actually feature the best players in the game, rather than the most popular players plus some manager picks. And they should also probably do away with the 1 player per team rule.

I think homefield advantage should go to the league with the better interleague record, personally.

agreed
    The Constitution was designed by the founders to save people from themselves. It never fails to amaze me how good of a job they did
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!
    Death don't want ya... But the Lotus do... so bring ya wicked shlt we gonna bring ours too!!!
    ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><((((>

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post

Interesting or to the team in the World Series WITH the best record ?

Because using your suggestion a 82 Win team could have the 4 games v a 100 win team.Whereas,& this is simply a personnal belief,it should be the team who WON the most games during the season who should have that "slight" advantage of home field.

Quote Originally Posted by FRENCHREDSOX View Post
    Interesting or to the team in the World Series WITH the best record ?

Because using your suggestion a 82 Win team could have the 4 games v a 100 win team.Whereas,& this is simply a personnal belief,it should be the team who WON the most games during the season who should have that "slight" advantage of home field.
    That'd work too.

Really, it doesn't matter to me, as long as it's not an exhibition game that decides it (and let's face it, that IS what the ASG is. The starters are selected by fans, the roster rules are set up to have players from every team even if a team has no deserving players, and the game is played in an exhibition-like fashion, with the manager trying to get each of the 32 players on the roster into the game at some point).

I don't care how home field is decided - mainly because HFA doesn't really matter. But if the current system creates even marginally more interest in the All-Star game for fans, or meant that the players/managers tried to win a little more - then I'm all for the All-Star game being the deciding factor. The change was intended to increase excitement in the All-Star game - if it does that then the change was a success. Making the decision on inter-league records, or the team with the most wins, while logical, have no effect on fan excitement.

I'll throw out another possibility. The team with the highest home attendance gets home-field advantage - might as well reward the fans that show up all season.

Quote Originally Posted by kenny1234
    I'll throw out another possibility. The team with the highest home attendance gets home-field advantage - might as well reward the fans that show up all season.
    So Tampa Bay would not get homefield advantage? EVER?
    The Philadelphia Phillies are the 2008 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!!!!

'80 - '08

45 - 54

Coincidence? To all others maybe. To DIEHARD Phillies fans? I think not!

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kenny1234 View Post
    I don't care how home field is decided
    That is tantamount giving the HS to the Yankees & the Mets,yearly

I don't care how home field is decided - mainly because HFA doesn't really matter. But if the current system creates even marginally more interest in the All-Star game for fans, or meant that the players/managers tried to win a little more - then I'm all for the All-Star game being the deciding factor. The change was intended to increase excitement in the All-Star game - if it does that then the change was a success.
    The thing is...does it?

I'd guess that it creates no more excitement than the game had otherwise.

And again, if it's going to matter, than it should be played like it matters...and if it does, I'd guess that would "harm" fan excitement, as they wouldn't get to see every all-star appear in the game.

NO NO NO
    Quote Originally Posted by phightinphils View Post
    So Tampa Bay would not get homefield advantage? EVER?
    exactly. Or how about the fact that the sox only seat 38,000 or so and sell out every game. If they played the Dodgers they would be DECIMATED easily in atendance (If LA started winning) you cant do it based on attendance... UNLESS it was based on %. For example Sox sell out 100% every game... they would get an advantage if they are in it. You can't go by league atendance because its not even.
    The Constitution was designed by the founders to save people from themselves. It never fails to amaze me how good of a job they did
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!
    Death don't want ya... But the Lotus do... so bring ya wicked shlt we gonna bring ours too!!!
    ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    exactly. Or how about the fact that the sox only seat 38,000 or so and sell out every game. If they played the Dodgers they would be DECIMATED easily in atendance (If LA started winning) you cant do it based on attendance... UNLESS it was based on %. For example Sox sell out 100% every game... they would get an advantage if they are in it. You can't go by league atendance because its not even.
    Which is why I agree with the regular season record being the determining factor. Look at Hockey and Basketball and Football.
    The Philadelphia Phillies are the 2008 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!!!!

'80 - '08

45 - 54

Coincidence? To all others maybe. To DIEHARD Phillies fans? I think not!

Quote Originally Posted by phightinphils View Post
    Which is why I agree with the regular season record being the determining factor. Look at Hockey and Basketball and Football.
    Hockey and Basketball rotate in the finals. Football is a neutral site...

Since everyone is all whiney about it, play 6 games at the teams' stadiums and game seven at a neutral site.

Not really surprised that I got a lot of negative feedback for that suggestion. HFA doesn't really matter - it might as well reward behaviour. And in the past, many teams other than the NY teams have led the league in attendance. And no, NY wouldn't get HFA because they would have to make the playoffs.

I don't care one way or another - it is no more arbitrary than using the All-Star game and rewards behaviour that MLB wants to see - more fans.