Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: trades/signing this off season (Matt Holliday)

Re: trades/signing this off season

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Maybe slightly worse offensive numbers than Bay, but makes up for it with much better defense and baserunning.
    I would say Bay and Holliday are equal players in terms of how much money I would give them.

Also, the Royals as potential suitors? That is the first time I have heard the Royals in trade talks for a big name player in a while...

IDK, but that's what the article said.
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    For some reason I thought rockies was a big black guy.

I was wrong.
    Back at this dynasty thing again: Resurrecting The Rockies: 2001 Onward

cartman00000001 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RedsoxRockies View Post
    Another outfielder! They are going to be full of overpriced OFers like Guerrero, Matthews, Anderson, and Hunter!
    and this is why rumors are fun to talk about, but they are based on nothing that is logical.

Exactly why the Cardinals got rid of him. We didn't think he would ever have the numbers he expected to be paid for.....and he had high stock....but he is still a great player...just overpaid

Quote Originally Posted by justanewguy View Post
    Drew is a very good player.

He's overlooked, because as a "slugger" type of player, his career high for HR is 31, and he only has 3 seasons at or over 20 HRs, out of 10 seasons. And he is an injury risk.

He tends to be misused. I think the Dodgers expected 30+ HR out of him each year, for some reason. Personally... as a Dodger fan, I was very unhappy with his production there, even in spite of the .900 OPS. Being injured for half of a season can make you unpopular, though. Also, being expected to carry a team as their slugger, when you're not a slugger...

He's an IDEAL #2 hitter, but he hasn't been used in that role in a very long time.

I want him in St. Louis! but I don't see anything happening til well after winter meetings....IF a trade happens...he is a great hitter thoguh!

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDuck1989 View Post
    I would say Bay and Holliday are equal players in terms of how much money I would give them.

Also, the Royals as potential suitors? That is the first time I have heard the Royals in trade talks for a big name player in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by OregonDuck1989 View Post

Get used to hearing about the Royals more, the organization is getting a lot better a lot quicker than most people realize.

That being said...the Royals have no chance at Holliday. They won't meet the Rockies asking price.

defense Guest

If the Royals traded their young players for an one year Boras rental, the whole direction of the team would be killed, and their future would be ruined in my opinion. They would have no chance to retain him

If the Royals have to trade for any big name star, it should be someone who is locked up long term so they don't risk losing the player

Matt Holiday

Will he be traded? if so, to where

Merged into this thread, same topic.

Quote Originally Posted by defense View Post
    If the Royals traded their young players for an one year Boras rental, the whole direction of the team would be killed, and their future would be ruined in my opinion. They would have no chance to retain him

If the Royals have to trade for any big name star, it should be someone who is locked up long term so they don't risk losing the player

It's very unlikely. The ONLY thing that might sway Dayton Moore to do it is that he has a lot of experience dealing with Boras...and they appear to have a pretty good relationship (as much as possible anyways). It's not happening, but I guess you never do know. If the Royals could trade for him and sign him long term..that'd obviously be awesome...but it is very, very unlikely.

Re: trades/signing this off season (Matt Holliday)

Color me crazy, but what do you guys think of Youkilis being experimented with at catcher??

- He came into professional baseball as a catcher.
    - He's played great defense everywhere he's been put.
    - He is said to be one who spends hours studying other pitchers.
    - He's got the 'leadership' type qualities you want in a catcher.
    - His bat will surely drop off though it is hard to believe it will be worse than Youk's and he still knows how to work a pitcher.
    - Very healthy young player who is a good bet to withstand the rigors.

This move frees up 1st for Tex if they seriously are interested, and is one of the only ways to unquestionably improve your offense at catcher. All this talk about Salty, Teagarden, Kottaras...all big questionmarks. The big questionmark with Youk, is can he call a game and handle the rigors of catching? I think its a safer bet to say yes based upon his dedication at making himself a strong defender everywhere he's been put.

Usually, there's a reason that a player is moved from behind the plate, and most such players never make the move back.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Usually, there's a reason that a player is moved from behind the plate, and most such players never make the move back.
    yes...the sox had a career type catcher blocking Youks way to the majors is one safe bet.

of course....speculating either way is just as effective as speculating that maybe he could be converted back to an everyday catcher.

Considering he's a Gold Glove caliber first baseman, probably not. And with the last time he played catcher being 2001, that's a long time off, and even then it was only for a few games. It's not like Baseball Mogul where you can switch positions seamlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    Considering he's a Gold Glove caliber first baseman, probably not. And with the last time he played catcher being 2001, that's a long time off, and even then it was only for a few games. It's not like Baseball Mogul where you can switch positions seamlessly.
    The argument he's a gold glove 1B is moot to all those talking about moving him to 3rd and bringing Tex in (who's also a gold glove caliber).

Regarding the seamless transition...the point is that if anyone can do it, one would think Youk would have a good a chance as any seeing his ability to field at a high level wherever moved to in the past.