View Poll Results: Will Bob Melvin be fired before the 2009 season?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 41.67%
  • No

7 58.33%

Thread: Will Bob Melvin be fired?

Will Bob Melvin be fired?

Although the Dodgers looked good coming from behind to win the division, the Diamondbacks looked terrible down the stretch. This series they wrapped up in St. Louis today hammered the nail in the coffin and hammered it hard.

Do you think the Diamondbacks will fire Bob Melvin as a result of this team's fall after leading the division through most of the year, even after improving the team with Adam Dunn?

I'm not sure if I'd personally fire him, but I have a strong feeling he's about to get canned.

Re: Will Bob Melvin be fired?

Personally I think its stupid when teams fire a manager simply to look like they did something to address the problem.

But I'd say chances are good he'll be looking for a job.

Yes, and they will hire Mr. Willie Randolph
    ]

Yes. After all, Melvin was fired when the '04 Mariners went 63-99 but just one season after they went 93-69 and even though it really wasn't his fault. (It was all Pat Gillick's fault)

I haven't heard any rumblings about it, and personally, I don't think he should be fired. He won the Manager of the Year award last year, and deservingly so in my opinion. One year shouldn't change things that much.

shouldn't be fired. He put his players in position to win night in and night out, and does a pretty good job of that in his career, one of the better managers in the game IMO. He very easily could though. I don't know what the D-backs relationship is between the office and the manager, but this situation gets managers fired very often.

Then again, he probably deserves a little blame for letting Brandon Lyon close. Seriously, the guy has been dog-**** every time Arizona lets him close.

I don't get the Diamondbacks. They have a solid rotation with 2 aces, and Johnson and Davis were definitely good enough to be #3 and 4. Great defense up the middle, so they should've put this on ice well before Manny came to LA. At the end of the day though, they just didn't get enough hits (13th in the NL in Batting Average at .251). I don't think it's Melvin's fault that they just had a crappy batting average. Most of that is because of Chris Young and Mark Reynolds' 361 combined Ks...yikes.
    Illini.

Yeah I need a Winn-Dixie grocery bag full of money right next to the VIP section...

I'd like to clarify that the question is geared toward a prediction, not really an opinion. I really don't think he should be fired... I think he's a good manager, and it seems like he fits the team pretty well. I'm sure there's a handful of questionable decisions that could be brought up, but that can be done with any team that didn't succeed, regardless of the manager.

This just feels like the typical situation in which a manager (unless it's a Bobby Cox or someone like that) gets fired for his team's poor performance a day or two after the end of the season.

too much raw talent on that team to accept those numbers. rookies need to start coming through better and with that kind of pitching, and under .500 season is completely unacceptable. even if they were in the playoffs, they should be running away with it with that talent

Quote Originally Posted by haveacigar View Post
    Then again, he probably deserves a little blame for letting Brandon Lyon close. Seriously, the guy has been dog-**** every time Arizona lets him close.
    He was good for a while this year.

I don't get the Diamondbacks. They have a solid rotation with 2 aces, and Johnson and Davis were definitely good enough to be #3 and 4. Great defense up the middle, so they should've put this on ice well before Manny came to LA. At the end of the day though, they just didn't get enough hits (13th in the NL in Batting Average at .251). I don't think it's Melvin's fault that they just had a crappy batting average. Most of that is because of Chris Young and Mark Reynolds' 361 combined Ks...yikes.
    True.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25
    Too much raw talent on that team to accept those numbers. rookies need to start coming through better and with that kind of pitching, and under .500 season is completely unacceptable. even if they were in the playoffs, they should be running away with it with that talent
    That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the manager though. It's RAW talent, offensively. Some of it seems to be coming around...Drew, Young...but it's too late for this season.

Of course, managers don't really have a big effect on team's outcomes....

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    That doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the manager though. It's RAW talent, offensively. Some of it seems to be coming around...Drew, Young...but it's too late for this season.
    Yeah, there's only so much you can pin on a manager. If guys just keep striking out all the time, that's on them as a hitter. At that level, a hitting coach isn't going to just "teach them" plate discipline. Melvin can call in a bunt or too to move runners over or whatever, but it won't make that much of a difference.

I had forgotten that Lyon was decent at the beginning of the year, but oh well. On the other hand, he only has like 5 blown saves, so you can't really pin it on him anyway, despite his poor ERA.
    Illini.

Yeah I need a Winn-Dixie grocery bag full of money right next to the VIP section...