Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I love it when...

Thumbs down Re: I love it when...

Quote Originally Posted by Pavelb1 View Post
    2-0 I think. I don't follow American football....well, really any football anymore since diving has ruined soccer.
    English soccer, for me, was ruined by the abandonment of the traditional 5 forwards; 3 half-backs; 2 full-backs formations.

The only teams that I care to watch (occasionally), now, are the Continental teams, who seem to try to play a more open style,nowadays

Ironically, it was those same Continental teams that introduced that same deadly dull: dreary: defensive system of soccer, which is still played in Blighty
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Re: I love it when...

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    English soccer, for me, was ruined by the abandonment of the traditional 5 forwards; 3 half-backs; 2 full-backs formations.
    LOL that was abandoned in the '50's my friend! Heck when I was an apprentice for Manchester United in the 80's we played 4-4-2....the only reason the change was the game became PROFESSIONAL & that a point won (ie an away draw WAS better than 2 (now 3) points lost!)

The only teams that I care to watch (occasionally), now, are the Continental teams, who seem to try to play a more open style,nowadays

Ironically, it was those same Continental teams that introduced that same deadly dull: dreary: defensive system of soccer, which is still played in Blighty
    Football goes in cycles - British football suffered a definitive "set back" when they were excluded in the late 90's from European soccer & where unable to sign the "best players" who (rightly so) wanted to play the biggest matches & thus shunned the PL.That disparity has since been caught up & the English clubs now are dominant on the World stage - Man Utd v Chelsea last Champions' League final!

The PL is a multi nationality league (same as NBA/MLB) & has vastly imporved with the introduction of talented "foreigners" both on & off the field - the best managers' are all non English (Ferguson,Wenger,Benitez,Scolari etc etc) WHO have revolutionized the game by teaching the English that health (I remember when the local diner was greasy Fish & Chips with Beer nearly every LUNCH not the best way to keep players lean & fit or even SOBER lol),technology (video) & Physical health.

They also taught the players that ball dominantion & SKILL will beat "long ball" (UK Traditional) football 9 times out of 10 & THAT IS WHY PL teams NOW dominate Europe.That is why the stars of the PL are called Ronaldo,Robinho,Deco,Anelka or Torres & NOT Best,Law,Moore or Hurst.....

The MAJOR problem is that in the PL there are LESS & LESS English players!

(Due to lack of natural skill & high cost - no wonder it has been nearly 50 years since England have won a Major international trophy.)Only now 10 years on are a "new band" of English players' becoming World Class BECAUSE they were brought up with this new ideal ,where to be a professional you NEED 100% commitment to the game & KNOW how to PLAY football rather than physically abuse the opponent - that is why England (under an Italian Manager) were able to beat Croatia 4-1 after having lost to them TWICE last year (under an English manager) including 3-2 at Wembley.

Capello is installing a professional approach WHICH hasn't been used since Don Revie in the 1970's...where PLAYING football is the essence to WINNING.

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Seems I am not the only one who thinks this:
    Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari believes the English game is on track to match the style of Brazil by playing with flair as well as power.

Scolari believes this weekend's clash against Manchester United will be an exhibition of "beautiful" football, with the Premier League improving standards every year.

"English football is fantastic and they have very good players," Scolari said.

"They play now and I think in two, three, four or five years in the future the players could be, like you say, playing like Brazil.

"Before in Europe just one national team played like Brazil. Now it's many countries do but before it was Yugoslavia. I think in England in a few years they play the same as Brazil and the Brazil national team."

Part of the learning process for English clubs has been keeping hold of possession.

Scolari has been known to stop training sessions after just 10 minutes if he feels his players are not passing as instructed.

"I don't want to put the ball 40 metres in front and lose it," Scolari said.

"I want the ball at my feet. I spend 50% of my training time on this every day.

"Now the game has changed. After the last 10 years it has been changing well.

"Coaches have come from other countries and given more and mixed ideas. Arsene Wenger is French, I'm from Brazil, Juande Ramos for Spain, and Rafael Benitez.

"In Spain they play football and they do not like the long ball. This is what I think they changed in England. If the football is there with the power then it will be very good."

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    A-Rod with RISP: .271/.407/.471

Far from "couldn't hit."
    .303/.393/.579 on the season. A Rod hasn't hit with RISP this season.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    .303/.393/.579 on the season. A Rod hasn't hit with RISP this season.
    Yes, he has. He's hit worse with RISP than without, but to say he's been poor with RISP just isn't true.

Yes, he has. He's hit worse with RISP than without, but to say he's been poor with RISP just isn't true.
    He's been worse than when he hasn't been faced with that situation. He has not hit as well in that situation. He regresses in that situation. He does not play up to his full ability in that situation.

He's been poor compared to what we've come to expect from his overall talent.

He's been worse than when he hasn't been faced with that situation. He has not hit as well in that situation. He regresses in that situation. He does not play up to his full ability in that situation.

He's been poor compared to what we've come to expect from his overall talent.
    Okay. You just restated in 5 different ways exactly what I said.

Really, I kind of liked it when England played the long ball. There was certainly no bitching about it when they beat Germany 5-1.

Fact is, they just didn't have the players, and when you don't, it doesn't matter too much. If Ian Wright was at the end of a Sol Campbell bomb, then it works. You can't do it with Gareth Southgate to Emile Heskey, or Cole serving to David Bleeping Beckham.

==+==+==+==

The Surf are back! Read up on the new exploits of baseball's most amazing team in Goin' to Surf City!, the ongoing story of the Ocean City Surf!

"Any kid who grew up in Maryland would feel that it was a great dream to play in an Orioles uniform...thank you all for always treating me like family."
    -- Harold Baines, 46th member of the Orioles Hall of Fame

Okay. You just restated in 5 different ways exactly what I said.
    No, you said that he hasn't been poor when hitting with RISP.

I said he has been poor. That's not really the exact same thing at all.

[delete][delete][delete]

Houston being Houston

No, you said that he hasn't been poor when hitting with RISP.

I said he has been poor. That's not really the exact same thing at all.
    He's been poor compared to his overall level, which is exactly what you restated in multiple ways, and exactly what I said.

He has NOT been bad though. An ~.850 OPS is NOT bad. It's just not as good as he's done without RISP.

I still don't see where you exactly said that. Maybe you thought it, maybe you said it outside of this thread. But you didn't say it here.

But, it really doesn't matter. Yankees staying home this year and the Dodgers are going. And as an added bonus, the Dodgers' AAA is coming back home to Albuquerque. Baseball life is good.

I still don't see where you exactly said that. Maybe you thought it, maybe you said it outside of this thread. But you didn't say it here..
    Um, you QUOTED the exact post I said it in:

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM

Yes.

He's hit worse with RISP than without, but to say he's been poor with RISP just isn't true
    Um...my saying that he has been poor, and you saying he has not been poor isn't the same thing.

Yes.

Um...my saying that he has been poor, and you saying he has not been poor isn't the same thing.
    You're saying that he's been poor compared to his overall level is.

He has NOT been poor with RISP. He's been poor for A-Rod, but not POOR. An .850 OPS is not poor.

A-Rod IS A-Rod so if A-Rod is poor for A-Rod, then he's poor. If A-Rod was Cesar Izturis or Miguel Cairo then .850 would be good. But since A-Rod can only be A-Rod he can only be measured by those standards.