17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hit

2 11.76%
  • Error

15 88.24%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sabathia No hitter or no?

Re: Sabathia No hitter or no?

Despite the Brewers' protests, the play in question is routinely called a hit and fielders often get angry when they are called for errors on easier plays. The Associated Press polled eight writers who have reported on the majors for 10 years or more, and six would have called it a hit.

That's good enough for me. Further, it was CC's error. I don't think he deserves credit for a NH if it's HIS fault. Yes, I know that's not what the rulebook says, but I think the Brews are just whining here.
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)

Quote Originally Posted by CatKnight View Post
    Despite the Brewers' protests, the play in question is routinely called a hit and fielders often get angry when they are called for errors on easier plays. The Associated Press polled eight writers who have reported on the majors for 10 years or more, and six would have called it a hit.

That's good enough for me. Further, it was CC's error. I don't think he deserves credit for a NH if it's HIS fault. Yes, I know that's not what the rulebook says, but I think the Brews are just whining here.
    True.

More.

I just reviewed the play from ESPN.

Yes, Sabathia fumbles the ball...but look how far up the path the runner is when CC turns to throw. It would have been very close even if CC fielded it cleanly and threw a fastball to first.

Definitely a hit.
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)

Yes, Sabathia fumbles the ball...but look how far up the path the runner is when CC turns to throw. It would have been very close even if CC fielded it cleanly and threw a fastball to first.
    Looks to me like the runner was almost halfway to first at the point that C.C. was picking up the ball and turning to throw. Had he had a good grip on it, I think the runner would've been out by a decent amount.

I think he had a chance to pick it up again and still throw him out.

Further, it was CC's error. I don't think he deserves credit for a NH if it's HIS fault.
    This is the first thing that came to mind. Although he officially deserves credit if it *is* an error, it's funny that it's his own error that's in question.

It's also funny if a pitcher commits an error with, say, 2 outs, then gives up a few homers and has a bunch of unearned runs.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Looks to me like the runner was almost halfway to first at the point that C.C. was picking up the ball and turning to throw. Had he had a good grip on it, I think the runner would've been out by a decent amount.
    *shakes head*

If you read the article, the scorekeeper says his reasoning was because the runner was already 2/3 the way to the bag. Looking at the clip, I agree. CC MIGHT have gotten him out anyway...but it's by no means certain.

Really tough call (especially just from those replays). Sure, if he doesn't fumble, he gets the out, but when he barehands it, it stops looking like a routine play... If he's rushing to make the play because fielding it routinely won't get the runner, then not making the play is a hit, not an error...

Ian

Fili's two cents:

I was at the gym on the treadmill when I saw it. I didn't know anything about the situation of the game. I was jogging along saw CC go to field the ball, drop it, and immediately thought "error". It was only later I learned about all the hooplah.

But, the official scorer is the official scorer not me, so, it's a one-hitter.

[sarcasm]at least in 5 or so years we'll have expanded instant replay to deal with these types of problems[/sarcasm]