Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Matt Kemp

Matt Kemp

Two walks today. Two runs scored. A fifteen game hitting streak. Crossing my fingers that this guy is figuring it out and is on his way to fulfilling his potential.

Re: Matt Kemp

I hope so.

He'll just go to the Yankees then.

and CBill lost his no-hitter in the 5th...

CBill, Kershaw, JBrox, Martin, Kemp, Loney, Ethier, LaRoche...

If we'd quit giving away Meloans and Navarros and Jacksons for peanuts we'd have something here

eh... I'm not really trying to put you down or anything here (I kind of like the Dodgers, myself), but they are in the NL West...
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

I'm just saying, the Dodgers don't really have anything special in terms of players. Their in by far the worst division in baseball. No one in the NL West has anyone special... The D'Backs actually have an average team that's seriously under performing right now for some reason. Other than that though, there's no one there. Matt Kemp is a slightly above average player. Everyone else you mentioned is basically average.
    *shrug*
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

For starters CBill's career 132 ERA+ at age 23 is hardly average. WHIP gone down each year in the bigs. K/9 gone up...

Quote Originally Posted by ohms_law View Post
    I'm just saying, the Dodgers don't really have anything special in terms of players.
    Chad Billingsley is special. So is Matt Kemp. And Andy LaRoche, but the Dodgers don't want to find that out. Russell Martin. Clayton Kershaw. Jon Broxton.

Their in by far the worst division in baseball. No one in the NL West has anyone special...
    That's an overstatement. The Dodgers do, as I showed above. So does each team in the NL West...

Matt Kemp is a slightly above average player. Everyone else you mentioned is basically average.
    *shrug*
    We also have to look long term. All the special players are young, so while they may be average now, they look to be much better in the future.

Let's look at the players he mentioned.

Chad Billingsley, 3.26 ERA this year, striking out a batter an inning. In 366.2 career innings, he has a 3.41 ERA for a 132 ERA+. He's very above average.

Kershaw may only be an average pitcher right now, but that's saying a lot for a kid his age.

Russell Martin..average?

Loney has a career line of .311/.366/.505, 121 OPS+ and is only 24.

LaRoche has been poor in the majors but isn't getting a chance at regular playing time, and his minor league stats are very promising.

Ethier's an average corner outfielder.

Just because the NL West teams have poor records doesn't mean that they don't have very good (and young) players.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Chad Billingsley is special. So is Matt Kemp. And Andy LaRoche, but the Dodgers don't want to find that out. Russell Martin. Clayton Kershaw. Jon Broxton.
    Chad Billingsly IS special. But he's also inconsistent and doesn't trust his stuff. I've seen so many freaken games where he can't go past the 5th inning because he's used up his "allotted MLB standard" 100 pitches. He's got great stuff, if only he would trust it.

Kemp is another one. I've seen flashes of brilliance, and then streaks of "WTF?". Sometimes, I even wonder if he's gonna be another of those ballplayers I've discussed that have been gifted but because of their attitude they underperform.

Jon Broxton is a beast. At times he has trouble finding the strike zone too, but he could be a set-up guy on almost any team in baseball.

I am TOTALLY sold on Martin. He IS the real deal. He's a baseball player's baseball player. That guy hustles, that guy cares, that guy's got it.

Clayton Kershaw, I dunno. For me, the jury is still out. I really liked his stuff, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with his "presence." I dunno if he's too young and nervous, or if I'm overestimating his stuff, but something just tells me to not quite buy this guy yet.

Thing is, I could've written the above comments about a number of players on a number of teams. The Dodgers really aren't anything special, and that really does sadden me. And though I'm not as up to date and as smart as others that post here, Ned Colletti is LESS THAN spectacular IMO. I dunno, for the past 3-5 years, I've seen dumba$$ moves and I've seen moves that should've been made that weren't.

All in all, I think Ohms had it right. This division is full of just so-so teams and you keep waiting for someone in that division to make a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    After some of our "conversations" it freaks me out when Houston and I agree...
    It shouldn't. For example, I agree with some of your political views and a good amount of your religious ones.

I think too much blame on Colletti, not that he's a genius, or good, or adequate, but it appears that McCourt is a big part of the problem.

Casey Blake. Maybe he was needed, maybe not. LaRoche hasn't done much in his play one day, sit two days experience. I dunno the ins and outs but since Cleveland paid the rest of Blake's salary, I have to think that was McCourt's doing and that cost us talent. If the boss says these are the rules, you can't blame the guy playing by them.

EDIT: I should have started for LA tonight against SF and CBill coulda saved this outing for the DBacks

AND WHY THE F*** CAN'T THE PADRES WIN A GAME ANYMORE???

You remember those SD Padres don't you?? The ones that were ONE PITCH AWAY from a playoff spot last year. WHY THE F*** can't they beat the fricken Diamondbacks???

They aren't anything special either????

OK, OK, my bias and personal prefs are showing. Can't help it. Dodgers lead 4-0, and the PADRES? #)#*&$)#*($&#)(&#)($&Q

Yeah...it looked good there for a while...That's ok...we get our chance at them soon enough.