Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sexson signs with Yankees

Sexson signs with Yankees

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3493648

Why would he sign with the Yankees? He couldn't deal with all the booing in Seattle. New York's ten times as worse. Is he gonna go to the bench and cry when he starts getting booed again in New York?

kingroman Guest

Re: Sexson signs with Yankees

I think he felt the fans would more worried about A-rod.

Or A-Rod decided he'd give the big Sexy a few millions to take some of the heat off of him

kingroman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Or A-Rod decided he'd give the big Sexy a few millions to take some of the heat off of him
    lol....maybe it was Giambi.

Go Yankees!

sexson over bonds?? interesting
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .

yank4251 Guest

There will be low expectations for Sexon, so the fans will probably leave him alone.

He gives them more right-handed power, especially against lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3 View Post
    sexson over bonds?? interesting
    "The Yankees will have to pay Sexson only the prorated minimum of $390,000..."

Prorated $390,000 will be under $200,000. A completely different decision than signing Bonds would be, and certainly wouldn't preclude them from later signing Barry if they did want to.

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    "The Yankees will have to pay Sexson only the prorated minimum of $390,000..."

Prorated $390,000 will be under $200,000. A completely different decision than signing Bonds would be, and certainly wouldn't preclude them from later signing Barry if they did want to.
    Well, by now Bonds will probably have to accept the minimum salary if he wants to play. Also, Bonds is better than Sexson.

Quote Originally Posted by asianinvasion View Post
    Well, by now Bonds will probably have to accept the minimum salary if he wants to play. Also, Bonds is better than Sexson.
    Bonds has already offered to play for the minimum salary.

That Richie Sexson can get signed is just more evidence in support of collusion. Sexson hasn't hit in two years, sucks defensively, isn't well-liked, has had actual on-field incidents like the helmet-throwing nonsense...and he can get a contract. Barry Bonds who can OBP .450 and hit 20 homers...can't.

True

I really doubt people are still gonna pitch around Bonds.

Bonds is far more trouble than he's worth, even at minimum.

I mean it. He's death to any contending team, and I'm not talking about the steroids or questions about character. Well, not directly.

The second he puts on a uniform, that team will be deluged with reporters from every two-bit hole in the ground in this country and probably every other. The questions will be fast, furious and designed to provoke. That team will literally become the Barry Bonds show.

Don't believe me? Take a look at the '78 Yanks. They FINALLY got their act together (obviously) but the first half was chaos due to controversy surrounding manager Billy Martin and outfielder Reggie Jackson. Both spurred it on: Martin couldn't control his mouth, and Jackson kept reminding everyone he was the greatest even when he was demoted to seventh. Only under a new, much quieter manager (Bob Lemon) who simply didn't use Reggie when he was feeling...recalcitrant...did the Yanks get their house in order and take the Series.

Bonds, just by virtue of his (in)famy, would throw clubhouse chemistry out the window. I'm a big fan of stats, Houston, but they really do overlook the human factor. His new team, through no fault of their own (or even Bonds'), would go through the floor.

I don't buy the case for collusion. Collusion would have been the Giants releasing him on August 1, 2007 and THEN no one signing him.

I think every GM in the league's reached the same conclusion I have. Bonds is simply the kiss of death.
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)

Quote Originally Posted by dannymac910 View Post
    I really doubt people are still gonna pitch around Bonds.
    I wouldn't bet on that. Bonds is still a wrecking ball at the plate. He can't field a lick and his knees are so bad he can't run worth a ****, but hes still capable of .280/.450/.500 with at least 20 homers.
    Active Dynasty
    An Alternate History Dynasty - The 1989 Red Sox

Paused Dynasty
    Fishing for Wins - A Florida Marlins Dynasty

Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    Ryan is No. 0. He doesn't make the list, since he's clearly on a higher plane of existence than all other quarterbacks, living or dead. He is ... teh messiah.
    I'm not the only one who knows the truth about Matt Ryan.