Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's the excuse for this one?

Re: What's the excuse for this one?

Quote Originally Posted by belial View Post
    I bet Joe She-ra-han never made a single mistake. Can we please not be spammed every single time Baker makes a tiny mistake? FFS
    I'll ditto that, but this isn't spam. If you don't want to read it, don't open it. Pretty simple concept.

I too like the reasoning given by Sir Kodiak. Agree with HGM, still was a dumb statement. Sometimes less is more Dusty.

As for him falling in love with Corey & Neifi Perez. Last I checked he was the manager and not the GM. Alot of people were high on Neifi. Can only play the guys on your roster.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post
    As for him falling in love with Corey & Neifi Perez. Last I checked he was the manager and not the GM. Alot of people were high on Neifi. Can only play the guys on your roster.
    Who was high on Neifi in 2004 and 2005?

Sure, Dusty made a mistake. This matters how?

See, I prefer that a baseball manager doesn't make many mistakes. If this was one mistake, it's no big deal, he's only human, but eventually, when a guy keeps making mistakes, there comes a point when it can no longer be chalked up as a simple mistake.

I read this this morning also, but as always with FJM, its good to look up the stats yourself ( they have a nasty habit of showing thier side only to an extreme) and saw exactly what sirK showed that, based solely on last year, Baker was correct.

And to assume that baker remebers anything that happened baseball realted more than a year ago is a strech.

Quote Originally Posted by gRYFYN1 View Post
    I read this this morning also, but as always with FJM, its good to look up the stats yourself ( they have a nasty habit of showing thier side only to an extreme)
    Well, they probably just didn't look up his year-by-year splits, considering, Baker said career. I don't think they intentionally left that out.

and saw exactly what sirK showed that, based solely on last year, Baker was correct.
    Well, he's correct if he had said "Last year, Patterson was better vs. lefties." However, he said "in his career", which was more than just last year.

And to assume that baker remebers anything that happened baseball realted more than a year ago is a strech.
    He shouldn't have to remember it. He's a manager of a baseball team. He should have this stuff on-hand.

It really doesn't matter. It's just interesting to people who follow baseball and pay attention to the various personalities involved.

You know, it's the whole "Sports Talk" thing that this particular forum is dedicated to.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    I don't know who was left on the bench, or what the situation was. The issue I took with it was a manager stating something as a fact that's completely wrong, although after SirKodiak posted those stats, it's understandable why Dusty Baker thought that way, although he really should, you know, know the actual facts.
    you mean my clutch argument didnt sway you at all?
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .

It's not 'sports talk' if it's someone nitpicking every quote someone makes and waits for the tiniest of errors. It's just plain annoyance.

It's not 'sports talk' if it's someone nitpicking every quote someone makes and waits for the tiniest of errors. It's just plain annoyance.
    Does it have to do with sports? Check.
    Is it talking about sports? Check.

It's Sports Talk.

Maybe you don't feel like managers should be held to a standard of "knowing the facts about their players", and you're free to disagree with my belief that a baseball manager should get the facts about his players correct, but please, don't accuse me of spam when I am not spamming. Nobody is forcing you to read anything.

MeetDaMets Guest

i prefer sports talk when its talk
    calm empirical debate.

NOT A BUNCH OF SCREAMERS ON A TALK RADIO PROGRAM.
    IF I WANT TO HEAR RAVING I'LL JUST GO TALK TO SOME YANKEE FANS.
    (yes joke intended)

and respectfully
    "you're free to disagree with my belief"
    should more or less END a back n forth

as opposed to being followed by a mega-multiquote post
    refuting each and every point of the position and which
    demands a response rebuttal with pics and links.

thats not allowing someone to disagree.

that is my opinon and i'm walking away now.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Who was high on Neifi in 2004 and 2005?
    Neifi was one of the top prospects in all of baseball in the late 90's. He's always been one of the leagues best defensive SS's, and if i'm not mistaken he ended 04 with a bit of a hot streak at the plate which continued into the 05 season which was how he earned the everyday starting job with the Cubs. I followed Neifi's career pretty closely because I had him signed to a long term fantasy baseball contract in the late 90's and it was the worst long term contract I used . I was ridiculed in 05 when I drafted him in our NL only league by those who remembered my long term contract.

As for the whiners complaining about HGM critiquing Dusty....here's a tip. Don't open the thread, and if you do don't read or respond.

Quote Originally Posted by dickay View Post

As for the whiners complaining about HGM critiquing Dusty....here's a tip. Don't open the thread, and if you do don't read or respond.
    Agreed, I don't want to be reading through more threads that look good but are ruined like they were when yankee hater was around.

Dusty Baker is a perfect example of how Joe Morgan would be as a manager

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Dusty is a plus manager - career .525 winning % and 3 manager of the year awards. I couldn't give a rats tail if he knows the exact stats of his players. He wins. That's all that matters.