Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario
    Posts
    682

    Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    Well obviously most of this forum doesn't read the greater toronto area media or listen to it on radio, but if you do or even if you dont, you might have heard the rumblings from columnists and other media sources saying its time for not only AJ to go but John Gibbons as manager also. Steve Phillips said on TSN that the two reasons you fire a manager is:

    1) He has lost the relationship with his players where he cant motivate them anymore.

    2) If the team isnt prepared to play; the process isnt right.

    Not really stuck on those but regardless he went on to say that the roster is the issue because they cant score enough runs to support the pitching staff. Well yeah thats true, but where does the blame for that shift?

    ...You have Denbo in his first year as hitting coach and avg and power are way down even from last year. Of course you dont have Glaus or Thomas.
    ...You have JP who cant seem to spend Ted Rogers' money on the right players.
    ...Then you have Gibbons, who has the respect of the locker room and the support of GM and President (for now) but hasnt proven to be anything more than a .500 manager.

    Any thoughts?
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~Tom Clark

    'No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Exciting Leduc, Alberta!
    Posts
    6,642

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    JP goes before Gibbons. How long has Ricciardi been there now? 7...8 years? And they are EXACTLY where they were when he was hired. They cost a whole lot more, and the team is no better off. Not only that, they also have one of the oldest rosters in the majors, and they're tied in to ludicrous contracts like those of Wells, Rolen and Ryan. I'm sick of this guy getting a free pass every year with his "Well, if we'd been healthy..." mewling excuses. Every **** team has injuries! Enough with that!

  3. #3
    FRENCHREDSOX Guest

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    Quote Originally Posted by QHowes View Post
    Well obviously most of this forum doesn't read the greater toronto area media or listen to it on radio, but if you do or even if you dont, you might have heard the rumblings from columnists and other media sources saying its time for not only AJ to go but John Gibbons as manager also. Steve Phillips said on TSN that the two reasons you fire a manager is:

    1) He has lost the relationship with his players where he cant motivate them anymore.

    2) If the team isnt prepared to play; the process isnt right.

    Not really stuck on those but regardless he went on to say that the roster is the issue because they cant score enough runs to support the pitching staff. Well yeah thats true, but where does the blame for that shift?

    ...You have Denbo in his first year as hitting coach and avg and power are way down even from last year. Of course you dont have Glaus or Thomas.
    ...You have JP who cant seem to spend Ted Rogers' money on the right players.
    ...Then you have Gibbons, who has the respect of the locker room and the support of GM and President (for now) but hasnt proven to be anything more than a .500 manager.

    Any thoughts?
    Several interesting points you make but the Jays (& even Jays fans' have to accept this) play in one of the toughest (if not the TOUGHEST) division year in year out in baseball.

    Firstly a manager CAN only play the players he has on hand & from that point of view you have to place the blame of their lacklustre season either on :
    A) the players under performing &/or
    B) a "poor" roster assembled by JP &/or
    C) a lack of prospects to call on.

    It is clear that,again IMO,that the roster itself HAS & is a major problem - when you dump 2 of your 25 man roster within 4 weeks of the start for FREE then it means Riccardi's team philosophy was wrong.

    Even the AJ deal is bad - he can opt out this year,so if he DOES well he will walk & if he is injured/bad he will stay EITHER way the Jays get ripped.

    Finally,the team has to develop from within stars & try to avoid the FA market as much as possible they cannot beat either the Sox or Yankees at that game - actually the best ROLE model to how to construct a franchise is the Rays system since Friedman & Co. have been on board - develop-SIGN- & DEVELOP more

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    Ricciardi is the problem, not Gibbons.

    John Brittain has been running some articles over at the Hardball Times on the Blue Jays. The one linked is the most recent, and he "calls for the head" of the GM. If you go into his archives, you can find more Toronto-related articles.

  5. #5
    MeetDaMets Guest

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    Pay no mind to Steve Phillips.

    I'd sooner believe that Bigfoot just landed a UFO at the underwater kingdom of Atlantis then take his opinion as the gospel.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario
    Posts
    682

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Ricciardi is the problem, not Gibbons.

    John Brittain has been running some articles over at the Hardball Times on the Blue Jays. The one linked is the most recent, and he "calls for the head" of the GM. If you go into his archives, you can find more Toronto-related articles.
    great thanks
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~Tom Clark

    'No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    Well, this is a moot point now.

    Gibbons will be fired before tonight's game, and Toronto will welcome back Cito Gaston.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Posts
    5,857

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    A collective "Yeah!" was just let out by all Blue Jay fans.

    Hopefully this means J.P. is next.
    Active Dynasty
    Meeting Success: A New Regime - Follow us as etothep chronicles me and eddie's efforts to bring a championship back to Queens

    Paused Dynasties
    The Goose continues the Hawk's battle for Capital Hill
    Une Rève Réaliser: Les Expos de Montréal (1969-)

    Retired Dynasties
    The San Diego Padres, into a Friar Destiny (with Jeffy25 and Ragecage)
    A New Era Takes Flight - The 2008 Toronto Blue Jays
    The Blue Birds: A new Era

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,630

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Ricciardi is the problem, not Gibbons.

    John Brittain has been running some articles over at the Hardball Times on the Blue Jays. The one linked is the most recent, and he "calls for the head" of the GM. If you go into his archives, you can find more Toronto-related articles.

    After reading this article seems offer insight that goes against his decsison. He says that John Gibbons shouldn't be fired, but also says that that every player is underperforming and team is less than the sum of its parts.. .

    ..It would seem that blame should fall to the manager. While Riciardi certainly deserves to follow him out the door Gibbons wasn't part of any solution.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    45,249

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    He wasn't part of any solution, but I don't think he was part of the problem, either.

  11. #11
    FRENCHREDSOX Guest

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    Quote Originally Posted by gosensgo101 View Post
    A collective "Yeah!" was just let out by all Blue Jay fans.

    Hopefully this means J.P. is next.
    Unlikely - J.P. is safe for this THIS year thanks to the Cito deal

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Edison, NJ
    Posts
    15,878

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    True. I'm betting that the ownership will make a move this winter, though. I hope so. It'll be great to finally see the Jays really competing.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kingston, Ontario
    Posts
    682

    Re: Should John Gibbons be fired? Steve Phillips doesn't think so...

    :O and they re-hired Cito Gaston, Nick Leyva and Tenace their old coaches from '93...

    I agree Ohms
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~Tom Clark

    'No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •