Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: "Missing" schedule templates

Re: "Missing" schedule templates

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Dreslough View Post
    I haven't yet been able to write code that can generate a good schedule with an odd number of teams in each league
    I don't think the MLB is much better at it than you are. Baseball is designed to be played (for the most part) with every team playing every day (against a league opponent).

Schedule templates is the main reason my online league is upgrading to 2009...having 6-5-5 in the AL and 5-6-5 in the NL generates a horrible schedule in 2008.
    I saw Andre Dawson. And let me tell you something. There were only two players in my lifetime whose teammates held them in awe. One was Mickey Mantle. The other was Andre Dawson. If you were around, if you saw them play, you know that. But the numbers don't tell you that.
    - Jerome Holtzman

This thread should be included in stickied Index. I didn't even know it existed because whenever I go to Mods, I just click on the Index straight away.

Good idea
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Could I get one for 162-u-555-555-I ? Decided to take a NL Central team into the AL West.
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~Tom Clark

'No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by QHowes View Post
    Could I get one for 162-u-555-555-I ? Decided to take a NL Central team into the AL West.
    That might be a bit difficult....baseball expands in 2's for a reason...schedules are very difficult if you have an odd number of teams.

I didnt expand, rather moved the Cards' to AL West to balance 5 teams per div.
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~Tom Clark

'No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by QHowes View Post
    I didnt expand, rather moved the Cards' to AL West to balance 5 teams per div.
    I know. I meant that, in real life, baseball always introduces 2 expansion teams in order to keep the number of teams in each league at an even number. When a league has an odd number of teams, scheduling becomes messy and difficult.

You're going to be forced to play interleague games throughout the whole season, and with an unbalances schedule you'll also be forces to have at least one team take a day off every day.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

I added the Blue Jays in 1913 and got this schedule error:

154-B-9-8-I

I wanted to split into divisions early on (1911) and add a couple of teams, I get errors for the following:
    154-U-440-440-I
    154-U-550-440-I
    154-U-440-550-I
    154-U-550-550-I

Realigned after 1985 season and added inter-league play. How about:

162-U-554-444-I

Thanks!
    When Tim Wakefield finally stops pitching, I'll have to admit my own mortality.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseman74 View Post
    I added the Blue Jays in 1913 and got this schedule error:

154-B-9-8-I
    See above. I don't have code to create a schedule for an odd number of teams. Hand-editing might be the only option.
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2017

Bug reports: bugs@sportsmogul.com
    Roster corrections: rosters@sportsmogul.com

What ever happened to:
    Maybe I should add some code that outputs the *bad* schedule that Mogul makes when there are an odd number of teams. As a text template. Then at least you'd have a starting point and you could hand-edit it to make it better.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Orac View Post
    154-U-440-440-I
    154-U-550-440-I
    154-U-440-550-I
    154-U-550-550-I
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2017

See above. I don't have code to create a schedule for an odd number of teams. Hand-editing might be the only option.
    Try the attached files for a 17-team universe.

I have no idea if they will work. If they don't work, try going through the schedule templates by hand and removing every line with the word 'BLANK' in it.

Clay
    Attached Files Attached Files

Forum Rules

Baseball Mogul 2017