Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Updated Stadium Data

2008 Updated Stadium Data

I updated the StadiumData.csv file used by BM to import stadium data in the game. Here's what I changed from the default file:

1) Updated dimensions for every park.
    2) Updated ballpark names for the 2008 season (i.e. Bank One Ballpark is properly named Chase Field, Jacobs Field is Progressive Field).
    3) Updated ballpark capacities (i.e. Fenway Park has additional seats now due to the monster seats, McAfee Coliseum has much less seats during the regular season due to the closing of the upper, upper deck).
    4) Updated park factors (Hits, 2B, 3B, HR, K, DP, Errors) for the 2001-2007 seasons using the actual historical park factors for every ballpark.
    5) Added projected 2008 park factors using 3 year average of 2005-2007 seasons for every ballpark (including a guesstimate on the new Nationals ballpark. I came up with an educated guess based on a few articles, as well as using the park factors for other historical parks with similar dimensions. Rough estimate, I know).
    6a) Updated Convenience, Comfort, and Sight Lines for every ballpark based on various ballpark reviews available online.
    6b) Updated Fan Base and the "hidden" Atmosphere ratings for every ballpark.

DISCLAIMER for items 6a and 6b: The ratings changes I made are sort of arbitrary although I tried my best to make them as realistic as possible. The key for me was to try to make the season attendance numbers as accurate as possible. Obviously this plays a fairly significant part in the teams' payroll budget and financial calculations for each team. For example, Fenway Park is generally rated poorly in the Convenience, Comfort, Sight Lines ratings, but receives a HUGE Atmosphere and Fan Base bonus to allow them to sell out every game. Accurate attendance figures were the most important thing for me in updating this file so some of the ratings are a bit weird in order to match up the teams' real life attendance numbers (i.e. Yankee stadium atmosphere I had to lower so they wouldn't sell out every single game).

So what does this mean? All the teams should have attendance numbers similar to the past two or three years in simulations. (As far as I know over multiple simulations on my part). I took some personal liberties in a few cases. For example, the Rockies, D-Backs, Mariners, Indians, and other "on the rise" teams (especially if they are small market teams) should have slightly higher attendance numbers coming of their recent success. The Nationals, obviously, should have higher attendance due to the new ballpark. Other teams, like the Orioles, White Sox, Astros, Giants, and others should have slightly declining attendance figures due to the anticipated down years.

7) Updated future data for new ballparks for Yankees, Mets, Twins, Marlins, A's, and Rays. I tried my best to use the information I could find on the potential dimensions/capacity/cost/park factors for each of these, but ultimately it just amounts to guesswork. This should allow BM to automatically update these teams' stadiums in 2009 for the Yankees and Mets, 2010 for the Twins, 2011 for the Marlins and A's, and 2012 for the Rays. (If you don't want the game to do this you can just go into the file and find the lines after 2008 and delete them). I thought this could be kind of fun so I tried it.

One other thing worth mentioning. After importing this data, you might find that the default league settings in BM coupled with my stadium data (and my city data if you choose to use them) result in very high payroll budget numbers for EVERY team. Nearly all the teams should end up with 100+ million payroll budgets. Now, I know these numbers are arbitrary and more "guidelines" than anything. But I think the AI bases its financial and roster decisions based a little on the payroll budget so it is somewhat a factor. I recommend going to League > League Settings, and lowering the default +20% League Revenue to +10% or even 0%. For me it seemed to level things a bit on the payroll budget front. (Although it did penalize a few teams more than I had hoped).
    I'm still playing around with this so if there are updates I will let you all know.

So after reading ALL of that how do you use it???
    a) Download the StadiumData.csv file.
    b) Copy it into your "Input" folder in your "Baseball 2009" directory. There shouldn't be any need to overwrite anything as it should be a new file.
    c) Start a new or current game, doesn't matter. Go to Tools > Advanced Tools > Import Stadium Data

Ok that's the end of my ridiculously long post. I'm out. (Sorry about the zip file. Forum doesn't take .csv files. Just unzip with winRar or other utilities).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: 2008 Updated Stadium Data

Excellent work!

Thanks

cool stuff dude

Just got around to installing these and I must say, excellent work! They'll be included in my roster, with credit to you in the ReadMe

7) Updated future data for new ballparks for Yankees, Mets, Twins, Marlins, A's, and Rays. I tried my best to use the information I could find on the potential dimensions/capacity/cost/park factors for each of these, but ultimately it just amounts to guesswork. This should allow BM to automatically update these teams' stadiums in 2009 for the Yankees and Mets, 2010 for the Twins, 2011 for the Marlins and A's, and 2012 for the Rays. (If you don't want the game to do this you can just go into the file and find the lines after 2008 and delete them). I thought this could be kind of fun so I tried it.
    I'm in 2009 now, and the Yankee and Mets stadiums did not update.

Are you sure? I just got into 2009 and the Yankees' and Mets' stadiums did update. In the edited stadium data the 2009 Yankees stadium is still called Yankees Stadium. I just updated the predicted capacity as well as the dimensions and such. Maybe the lack of a name change threw you off?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nope. I checked the Mets and it was still called Shea Stadium, with the same dimensions, and I had to input it myself. Hm, well, I'm almost up to 2010, so I'll check the Twins stadium when I get there and let you know.

all of my updated future stadiums entered the game correctly when i did a trial run... the impact on attendance was pretty realistic too... i wish BM would have some kind of algorithm in the AI to do this on its own past the foreseeable/predictable future

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Nope. I checked the Mets and it was still called Shea Stadium, with the same dimensions, and I had to input it myself. Hm, well, I'm almost up to 2010, so I'll check the Twins stadium when I get there and let you know.
    It's 2010, and the Twins are still in the Metrodome...

If I use the Import Stadium Data tool, it updates the parks to what you have listed in the Stadium Data file. It just hasn't done it automatically for me.

Hi,
    after I have imported stadium and city data files (tools -> advanced tools) the payroll budget of all teams declines into negative. Did I make a mistake?

No, you (most likely) didn't make a mistake. The game simply has to adjust all of it's projections to the new system. Sim at least one day and the AI will adjust all of it's ticket and concessions prices to the "correct" levels for the new environment.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Unfortunately not. I tried to simulate one day, one week and a hole season but nothing changes.

What do you mean? everyone ends up in debt, or something?
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

yes, every team is in debt. yankees have nearly -120,000,000