Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Updated City Data

2008 Updated City Data

I updated the Cities.txt file used by BM to import cities available in the game. Here are the following things I changed:

(1) Updated Region Populations using the most recent Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) populations as of 2006.
    (2) Updated City Populations using the most recent city populations as of 2006.
    (3) Updated New Population/Year using the percent change in MSA population between 2000 and 2006.
    (4) Updated Per Capita Income using the per capita personal income of MSAs as of 2006.
    (5) Updated geographical data, such as latitude, longitude, time zone, altitude (although I think this makes very little to no effect on gameplay).
    (6) Updated Commute in the NewGameCities.csv used to create the Cities.txt file. (I have no idea what this does for Mogul, but I thought I'd update anyway. Anybody know how this affects gameplay?)
    (7) Also, the list of cities has been pared down to eliminate a lot of suburbs and other cities within larger metropolitan areas, mostly due to those cities having higher incomes and becoming "super"-cities where the team becomes a large market team in the game i.e. Coachella Valley, and some of the New England cities.

Hopefully this small update improves gameplay for those who choose to use it.
    Just download and save the Cities.txt file to the Baseball 2009 folder and in the Advanced Tools menu, use the "Import Cities" tool button to replace the default city data with this updated file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: 2008 Updated City Data

Thanks man.

Is the import cities tool button still "broken" as I believe it was in last year's version??

Quote Originally Posted by WHAK0985 View Post
    (5) Updated geographical data, such as latitude, longitude, time zone, altitude (although I think this makes very little to no effect on gameplay).
    Just thought I'd let you know. I don't think latitude/longitude/time zone affect game play, but the altitude does affect the park effects of stadiums in Mogul. Without that effect, Coors Field wouldn't be as much of a launching pad.

As far as I know the export cities tool is the one that's not working correctly; it exports the .txt file in the wrong format. However, import cities works perfectly if the cities.txt file is correctly formatted like the above attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Just thought I'd let you know. I don't think latitude/longitude/time zone affect game play, but the altitude does affect the park effects of stadiums in Mogul. Without that effect, Coors Field wouldn't be as much of a launching pad.
    It can, depending on the situation. Lat and Long are used to calculate team distances. Teams that are too close to one another cannibalize each others fan base. Time zone affects the time that games are played as well.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Nice addition to the game, dude. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Just as a random sidenote, maybe that should be changed. The humidor (sic?) has mitigated the Coors effect.

Anyways, this is great ^_^ Thank you for updating the city data.

Quote Originally Posted by BTerran View Post
    Just as a random sidenote, maybe that should be changed. The humidor (sic?) has mitigated the Coors effect.
    The use of altitude in the calculation of park effects shouldn't be changed. Simply, the park effects of Coors Field itself should be. I know that I'll be updating park effects for my rosters, but I think that, the default settings just calculate the park effects based on the city and stadium information, and I don't think there really is anything that can be done to make it so that Coors Field isn't so extreme. The altitude plays a role in the park effects of other stadiums as well, and that shouldn't be taken away just because of Coors.

Quote Originally Posted by beerchaser View Post
    Nice addition to the game, dude. Good job.
    Glad this was up to par for you guys.

Does anybody know what the "Commute" column is in the cities .csv file? I'm guessing it affects the stadium attendance slightly but really, I have no idea.

Do we have to click on the import cities on every new franchise we run in order for this to work?

Maybe someone can give me some help with this...I imported data as instructed but I am seeing severe drops in attendance all of a sudden.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~Tom Clark

'No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

That's going to happen at first, there's really nothing that you can do about it. The AI adjusts very quickly though, and by the end of the first season the majority of teams will be doing well enough financially. Any realistic city data mod is generally going to lower the financial resources available to teams. You'll notice some odd signings and releases for a few months, and one or two teams per league will be killed for a few seasons, but generally my experience is that it makes the game more balanced and challenging.

Of course, my observations are with my own data, which is going to be slightly different than this (and my mod covers other time periods as well). But it appears to be very similar to what I did, so I'm fairly certain that my observations above are still valid.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Thanks Ohms...Of all my years with BBM this is the first time trying a city data mod
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~Tom Clark

'No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by QHowes View Post
    Maybe someone can give me some help with this...I imported data as instructed but I am seeing severe drops in attendance all of a sudden.
    Looking at your really low attendance numbers however, I'm thinking there might have been a bug. It happened to me as well yesterday when I was playing around with the cities and stadium imports.

I also started getting sub-10000 attendance figures for many clubs for an entire season and I was perplexed as to why this was happening as I believed my city data was legit. I found out that for some reason in the process of importing city and stadium data about half of the teams in my game had their home cities changed in the league editor. For example the Tigers had their home cities changed from Detroit to Duluth and the Indians had their home cities changed from Cleveland to College Station, thus severely depressing their attendance and payroll budget numbers. Once I manually changed their home cities back to their normal cities the numbers went back to normal.

I would suggest opening up the league editor and making sure this didn't to you as well.