Thread: actionjackson's Simulations Settings!

Cool actionjackson's Simulations Settings!

I love BBM, but I too was sick of the "roid" ball default settings. I wanted something closer to what I remember from my childhood (mid '70's to mid to late '80's) so I started tinkering. The simulation settings I arrived at are:
    Groundouts: 106
    Lineouts: 106
    Flyouts: 106
    K's: 106
    Singles: 98
    Doubles: 90
    Triples: 90
    Homeruns: 90
    BB: 97
    HB: 97
    GDP: -10%

Not that 2 seasons is statistically significant (1984 and 1985), but the AL is averaging around 4.5-4.6 runs per game and the NL is averaging around 4.0-4.1 runs per game. 40 Homeruns means something as only Reggie Jackson and Lance Parrish have been able to do it. No team has hit 200 Homeruns yet either. There are actually pitchers with ERAs under 3.00 and .500+ Slugging or .400+ OBA are much more difficult to achieve as well as .900+ OPS. It might not be other people's cup of tea, but for me it's great because that's how I remember baseball and that's what I was looking for from this game. I have also run multiple sims for which the numbers were in this ballpark, but they go by so fast I couldn't write them down.

So the message is if you're not happy with the results you're getting tinker a bit with the settings. I also jacked up Trades in League Settings to 100% and am seeing many blockbusters where before (at 40%) I used to look at them and wonder if the trades were just being made for the sake of making a trade: a 70 SS for a 70 CF *yawn*.

Yeah, there will probably be way too many lineouts now, but I felt increasing Outs in Sim Settings across the board was the best method. Love to here what others have tried and what their results were.

Re: For those tired of too much offense

I also jacked up Trades in League Settings to 100% and am seeing many blockbusters where before (at 40%) I used to look at them and wonder if the trades were just being made for the sake of making a trade: a 70 SS for a 70 CF *yawn*.
    do the blockbusters make sense though?

That is an entirely different question and might be difficult to answer given that I've just been speeding through seasons. Translation: I don't know the state of the various rosters pre-trade. Texas for example, generally speaking has made salary dumps and has been putting together quite the arsenal of pitching prospects. That strategy kind of makes sense for a last place team that's lost 100 or so games in both seasons. One thing I do like about more trades is that it increases player movement, which helps to offset the AI's tendency to draft players to organizations that they started with IRL.

They may make as much sense or have as much logic as various other moves that the AI does, but it's fun to read the transaction wire and see the AI acting like "Trader Jack" McKeon. One had Danny Darwin being traded for Teddy Higuera, not as one sided as it might seem due to Higuera's health issues. Jack Clark (90) was traded to Atlanta for three infield prospects. As a Jays fan, watching Tom Henke get traded to the Yankees was a dagger to the heart, but like I said I'm trying to get the seasons out of the way and am not in charge of a team currently. Right now it's experiment time and eventually I'll start up a dynasty again.

One reason I'm trying to get the seasons out of the way is to experiment with Jay C's revenue sharing and luxury tax models and I always use Dr. Doom's Fan Enthusiasm indexes to try to level the playing field as much as possible. The big markets are always going to rake in the cash, but you can attempt to close the gap between the larger and smaller revenues, without taking the drastic measure of equalizing the cities. I'm also trying to implement a Rule V draft to help alleviate the hoarding of veterans in the minors. These came at the suggestion of Cat Knight and All Out War. Thanks for the help guys.

Thumbs up Re: For those tired of too much offense

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
    I love BBM, but I too was sick of the "roid" ball default settings. I wanted something closer to what I remember from my childhood (mid '70's to mid to late '80's) so I started tinkering. The simulation settings I arrived at are:
    Groundouts: 106
    Lineouts: 106
    Flyouts: 106
    K's: 106
    Singles: 98
    Doubles: 90
    Triples: 90
    Homeruns: 90
    BB: 97
    HB: 97
    GDP: -10%

Not that 2 seasons is statistically significant (1984 and 1985), but the AL is averaging around 4.5-4.6 runs per game and the NL is averaging around 4.0-4.1 runs per game. 40 Homeruns means something as only Reggie Jackson and Lance Parrish have been able to do it. No team has hit 200 Homeruns yet either. There are actually pitchers with ERAs under 3.00 and .500+ Slugging or .400+ OBA are much more difficult to achieve as well as .900+ OPS. It might not be other people's cup of tea, but for me it's great because that's how I remember baseball and that's what I was looking for from this game. I have also run multiple sims for which the numbers were in this ballpark, but they go by so fast I couldn't write them down.

So the message is if you're not happy with the results you're getting tinker a bit with the settings. I also jacked up Trades in League Settings to 100% and am seeing many blockbusters where before (at 40%) I used to look at them and wonder if the trades were just being made for the sake of making a trade: a 70 SS for a 70 CF *yawn*.

Yeah, there will probably be way too many lineouts now, but I felt increasing Outs in Sim Settings across the board was the best method. Love to here what others have tried and what their results were.
    Thank you, AJ...I'll try out your settings.
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

Lightbulb Re: For those tired of too much offense

Rongar and anyone else who may be interested,

I've begun a project to find the best sim settings for each individual season from 1969 forward (mound was lowered; I was born) for those that want more accurate historical season results. One interesting thing I've found is that the simulation engine is very good at repeating the same results for a given season over and over again (props to Clay) even if it is a bit on the offensive side for my taste. I've got 1969 through 1976 done if anyone wants to give them a try.

My method is to use default settings for each season, simulating the season 10 times and outputting the major league stats (all players) each time. I then get an average for singles, doubles, triples, homeruns, walks, strikeouts, stolen bases, and caught stealing. That's my default settings average. I compare this against the real life numbers for these eight categories to get the factors, which I will use to create my simulation settings. Of note here is that you have to make sure that the real life numbers are adjusted to # of teams times 162 games. For example from 1969 to 1976 there were 24 teams in the majors playing 162 games a year. That's a total of 3888 games. If there were ppd. games not made up, or labour issues or extra playoff games IRL, you have to adjust RL numbers to what they would've been in a 3888 game season. Then you can properly compare the RL numbers with the Mogul numbers and divide the RL number by the Mogul number to arrive at the factor number that you will use in the simulation settings for that category.

I then fiddle around to find the best ground out/fly out/line out settings, which for simplicity's sake I call outs, because they're all in-play outs and it makes sense to keep them all the same, even if I've read complaints about too many lineouts in the game. So far the range for outs is 101 to 103. One of the spreadsheets in the zip file contains the settings for the different categories for 1969-1976 (the work so far). The other is an example of the tenth "Output Stats" sheet, which sort of shows how I arrived at the simulation settings for the 1969 season. Enjoy! and let me know what you think,

Tom

Just a quick note, the above work on simulation settings was arrived at using version 10.31, which is the most recent official patch. I am unaware of what work has been done since then to make the sim engine more reflective of the various seasons and/or eras.

Good Work

Re: actionjackson's Simulations Settings!

from a private message...

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson
    boomboom,

I've determined, much to my chagrin that uniform simulation settings aren't possible and that simulation settings are entirely driven by what year you start in. The settings that you use for the starting year determine what settings you use for the subsequent year and so on and so on. It's kind of like Chaos Theory or the Butterfly Effect.

So that kinda renders my post in the mods section of BBM 2k9 useless. My recommendation for those that want simulation settings that will result in stats that are close to the season involved is to use the method I used before the season starts i.e. Opening Day.

1) Save the particular season with all the settings that you want plus the default sim settings. 2) Run the season with default sim settings, output the stats to Excel or other spreadsheet program. 3) Exit game Do Not Save Your Work. 4) Repeat until you have 10 separate outputs. 5) Tally totals for singles, doubles, triples, homeruns, walks, strikeouts, stolen bases and caught stealing in each of the ten spreadsheets. 6) Move these totals to the bottom of one spreadsheet. 7) Average them out. 8) Acquire factors for each category by dividing real-life total by the average default settings total and plug them in to sim settings. 9) Adjust groundouts, lineouts, and flyouts by continuing to run seasons (still not saving your work), until you have MLB stats that are close to your desired result (real-life MLB stats-check Baseball-Reference or Retrosheet, depending on year). Once you have that enter them in your sim settings and you're good for the season until next Opening Day, when you repeat the whole thing again. Consider it a part of your Offseason Ritual, or not.

I should have known that results that have gone before affect results which are still to come. (In essence Chaos Theory). Live and learn (again) I guess. Hopefully my Jays will be able to thrash the O's tonight and I can forget about the effort I put into this and maybe start an Expos Dynasty in 1969. Yeah, that's the ticket.

If you want to remove that outdated post from the mods section of BBM 2k9, please be my guest. Also, if you would like me to start a thread with something to the effect of this message, let me know. I don't know if you can do this, but if you want to take the parts of this message that are relevant to the relentless pursuit of proper sim settings in order to start a thread on this topic, I give you my permission. Yours in laziness/exhaustion,

Just a quick addendum that I forgot. It's easier to run all those pre-season simulations, if you make all teams computer run while you're doing them. Obviously, you've got to remember to switch back when you're ready to start your season. Happy simming gang and if anyone comes up with a way to override Chaos Theory, do let me know.

It was a noble try, jackson. I may try it for my '72 dynasty! Thanks!
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)

Are these settings needed when replaying the 70's or 80's?
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    You beat me twice yesterday. I've never been beaten in the postseason in different leagues by the same person on the same day.

Relish this day..