Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Dugout: Dynasty Tips and Tricks

Smile Re: The Dugout: Dynasty Tips and Tricks

Seriously, Guys, even if you don't resort to a pukka WP, the posts themselves try to warn you...ever noticed them red lynes under certain words? They indicate spelling errors...tho not always -see, they missed one back there<- -
    and sometimes they can't handle five-dollar words like antidisestablishmentarianism, which, according to Google (that top-left dialogue box is where I check all my doubtful words) is the way to go...and if you see a green line under one of your phrases, the post's WP is trying to tell you that this is grammar up with which, it will not put. (Dammit! -never works when you want it to)

When all is said and done though, I can't agree with my good friend, Spud, when he warns that typos will doom dynasties....if you write a good enough yarn, with plenty of drugs 'n' sex 'n' rock 'n' roll, I'd read it, tho it be writ in rancid Russian!
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

Re: The Dugout: Dynasty Tips and Tricks

I think the best advice is to write it up in Word rather then in the reply box. That way, the internet can't crash and kill your dynasty (which has happened to several on this board). Plus, you can spell check.

What I do (I find it very effective)

I write it up in Notepad with all the [*B][*/B] included because it let's you keep a format and you can do things like [TAB] (Like Standings). All you have to do is copy and paste that into word hit [F7] and you are doing a spell check.
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    For some reason I thought rockies was a big black guy.

I was wrong.
    Back at this dynasty thing again: Resurrecting The Rockies: 2001 Onward

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    When all is said and done though, I can't agree with my good friend, Spud, when he warns that typos will doom dynasties....if you write a good enough yarn, with plenty of drugs 'n' sex 'n' rock 'n' roll, I'd read it, tho it be writ in rancid Russian!
    A typo here and there isn't too bad, and nobody will catch them all... even me! I try to correct the ones that are made over and over again, to help out the poster, especially if they're younger. If the dynasty is good and entertaining, I'm sure that some people will forgive constant typos, horrible grammar, etc. It just looks sloppy and careless on their part not to have taken 30 seconds to check the post, and I end up thinking that the rest of their dynasty will be sloppy and horribly-written as well. It may not be, but that's the impression that it gives to people. It's like job-hunting. If you have a stellar resume, but a typo on the first line, most employers won't bother reading the rest of it, and it'll end up in the garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by rockiesfan4ever View Post
    What I do (I find it very effective)

I write it up in Notepad with all the [*B][*/B] included because it let's you keep a format and you can do things like [TAB] (Like Standings). All you have to do is copy and paste that into word hit [F7] and you are doing a spell check.
    I do the same thing. I keep my format saved in a template file with all the style formatting already done and then just go back and change stuff every post. Makes it MUCH easier.

da blu doeg aet him breown shiot

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

An ebonics dynasty? Creative idea RSR.

Quote Originally Posted by BINGLEBOP View Post
    An ebonics dynasty? Creative idea RSR.
    tank u bonglebip, i use u spell sugestion and mak prety dienasty!

Economic Left/Right: -7.75
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.72

(Thanks to BINGLE for my banner!)

Matt Wieters says:"My morning routine goes: wake up, bang 10 hot women, eat Lucky Charms, destroy a few countries, and then read YeahThisIsMyBlog.blogspot.com."

Mogul No No's and Perfect Games:

2008 Royals-Gil Meche No hitter in 10 innings 1-0 final score

2038 Padres-Matthew Graham Perfect Game 1-0 victory!

Smile Re: The Dugout: Dynasty Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by RedsoxRockies View Post
    da blu doeg aet him breown shiot
    That's it, RSR - grab 'em with the first sentence!
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

Thank you for this thread. It has helped me out a lot with my dynasty (even though i need to work on a few things).
    The Bay Area Bombers: Cross Town Rivals
    Click Here

The Sacramento Spartan Series (Retired)
    Winner of the August 2009 New DOTM
    Part 1
    Part 2

The Giants Family Dynasty (Retired)
    Click Here

Protip: If random user writes a dynasty that is bizarre and incomprehensible, it's probably an alt.
    ]

Screenhunter v 4.0 by Wisdom-Soft is a must-have for dynasty writers.

I actually learned about this program at work where we'll cut and paste screenshots from problems in our applications to e-mail.

After loading the program, it will take you to a setup screen like this:

Tell it what F key you want to use to capture items - pick one you're not likely to use for any other reason, then click on "Stand by." The program will appear to close, but will actually run behind the scenes.

When you hit that F key, a cursor will come up. Drag it to surround the picture you want to display, then let go of your mouse key.

As for what happens then, if you click on the "To" tab above you get two main options: It will save it to the clipboard, or save it to a file. Since I'm always in the habit of doctoring my pictures with text and stuff, I save it to clipboard. If you don't plan to modify it, then I suppose there's no reason you can't go straight to file.

The program is freeware and fully useable. There's an enhanced version through Wisdom's website (5.1 I think) with more bells and whistles, but that's shareware and will start adding watermarks to your files after 15 days.

Anyone who's read my dynasties know I tend to be a text oriented guy - that's more because I always found cutting, pasting and manually cropping a pain in the butt than anything. This makes things much easier if you're into adding pictures to your stories.
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)

If you hit ALT+Prnt Scrn then it'll take a screenshot and then you can go to paint and crop/save/highlight/box/etc. whatever you want and then Copy Paste it
    Quote Originally Posted by President View Post
    For some reason I thought rockies was a big black guy.

I was wrong.
    Back at this dynasty thing again: Resurrecting The Rockies: 2001 Onward

Very true, and that's what I've done to date. This gets the crop part out of the way though - only the part I want ends up on the clipboard rather than all the junk I'd just as soon never appear. Personally I find it saves time and effort.
    Retired Dynasties I'm Proud of
    To Rule in Kansas City Part I and Part II (Kansas City Royals 1969-73, Hall of Fame)
    Cardinal Sins (St. Louis Cardinals 1976-78) and it's sequel:
    Diverting Destiny (Montreal Expos 1994)
    Script for my Requiem (New Orleans Blues (fictional) 1954)