Thread: Sports Mogul Forums Writing Contest!!!

Sports Mogul Forums Writing Contest!!!

OK, this is a quick and easy contest to enter.

Just write a short (and I do mean short) story in a forum post. On Saturday night at 5 PM EST- the submissions will be locked and voting will begin on the submitted stories. Nontangible bonus points if your story is sports related.

Here's my entry...

The American Dream

Some say the American dream is owning a business. Some say it is fighting in the armed forces. Some say it is raising a family. But Bob knew his version of the American dream was to play baseball. As a pre-pubertal ten year old, he planned a life full of pipe dreams. As he aged, the dreams of other kids his age got more realistic, some said doctor, some said stock broker, some said business owner, but Bob still said he was going to play Major League Baseball one day. He played on his local Little League team, but was not exactly an all star. He often rode the bench, watching his team win and celebrate without him. But, even through all of this discouragement, Bob said that he would play Major League Baseball. So he practiced and practiced and practiced. He went to big league games to see how he could be like the MLB players. And he always idolized one player- Steve Nicklas- who was a perrenial bench warmer, just like Bob. He strived to be like Steve and told himself that he could do anything he set his mind to. He worked and worked and worked harder, pushing himself past his limit. On one sunny Saturday afternoon, though, he took it too far. He started drills at 5 AM and did not stop. At 5 PM, he finally collapsed from exhaustion, and was brought to the hospital. During a routine blood test, the doctors saw something terrible. Bob was found to have brain cancer. He was only expected to live 6 more months. His family was in tears, unable to cope with the fact that their special little boy was going to be gone so soon. Bob wanted to keep playing, but the doctors would not allow him to leave the hospital. He was destined to end his life with a void where baseball had once occupied. But one day, Bob had a special visitor. It was Steve Nicklas. Bob was ecstatic, shaking and jumping around erratically. Steve put his arm on Bob's shoulder to calm him down and led him outside, without the knowledge of the doctors, towards the ballfield in the park across the street from the hospital. He played with Bob until the wee hours of the morning, when the police sent them away from the park. Steve taught Bob everything he knew and Bob picked it all up. Bob went back to his hospital bed, but Steve begged the GM of his team to give this boy one chance to live out his dream. The GM obliged, signing the boy to a one-day contract. Steve went back to Bob's hospital room, excited to tell the young boy that he will get to be a big leaguer- like he always dreamed. As he opened the door, he saw the doctor put the blanket over Bob's cold, dead face. Steve shouted out, in a mix of anger and mourning, not understanding why he had left at such a young age, and ran towards the bathroom of the hospital room. On the mirror, he found a note written by Bob:
    Steve, it's almost over for me. I have no more time. But please remember, take every moment as it comes to you. And live out your dreams while you can. Please don't feel sorry for me. I lived out my dream. I played baseball with the nicest person I have ever met. Thank you for comforting me in my final hours.
    Sincerely,
    Bob

Steve gripped the Post-it Note off the mirror and read it with one eye, with the other rested inside of a Kleenex. The words were fuzzy, but he understood the message. He took the note home with him, and still has it on his mantle. And as for the contract, it rests on the mantle of the home of Bob's family- right next to Bob's picture and the words "Carpe diem. Sieze the day". Bob was put to rest wearing the jersey that was made for what was supposed to be his big day, and the whole team showed up at the funeral, with Mr. Steve Nicklas reading the eulogy.
    ]

Re: Sports Mogul Forums Writing Contest!!!

I win. Thanks to everyone who submitted stories!
    ]

Wow. It took over a year and a half to determine a winner!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    You beat me twice yesterday. I've never been beaten in the postseason in different leagues by the same person on the same day.

Relish this day..

Name:  normal_Homerdisgust.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  55.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by daves View Post
    Wow. It took over a year and a half to determine a winner!
    Yeah I had to ponder the results for a while.
    ]

Post the Top 5 entries.

2) HoustonGM "I'm A Little Teacup Statistician" (16 first place votes, 76 points behind)

3) Filihok "The First Time I Killed A Deer" (12 first place votes, 88 points behind)

4) RickD "Jesus My Lord Jesus The Lord It's Jesus!" (7 first place votes, 112 points behind)

5) ewing6 "mets are last place for 15 years they suck" (1 first place vote, 349 points behind)
    ]

Interesting.

Ewing didnt even join until 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sox Fan 734 View Post
    Ewing didnt even join until 2008

Just when you thought MG could not come up with anymore Post padding ideas he now resurrects dead,useless threads....man I miss Moderators....

Congratulations on winning 4th place. I guess.

Yeah whoo hoo....

I won 5th w/o any posts. Go me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if I was using your name back then, before you registered. Maybe I deleted it somehow and you re-registered it, coincidentally choosing the name I deleted.