Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The White Sox gave...

The White Sox gave...

a manager that bats a player that is batting .255/.316/.339 third, an extension through 2012.

Can anybody explain the rationale behind batting a hitter with a .644 OPS third?

Ozzie's really just...crazy?

Re: The White Sox gave...

crazy or desperate.
    Member of baseballs Siberian Winter League.
    "Legalized muggings," Chuck Noll called it.

member of the Oakland Sheriffs Dept.

If I was desperate, I would do everything to make sure Darin Erstad wasn't batting third for my team.

MMK - Houston, weren't you the one that argued lineup order had very little affect on production?
    Water brings life to all, or can end it on a whim.

Also, he managed to win a world title very recently. I am sure you wouldn't be against the A's giving Beane an extension when he has never accomplished more than a division title.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    a manager that bats a player that is batting .255/.316/.339 third, an extension through 2012.

Can anybody explain the rationale behind batting a hitter with a .644 OPS third?

Ozzie's really just...crazy?
    the Sox were 64-85 with this guy (mostly) batting third: .268/.402/.520.

in any case, there's nothing crazy about resting Thome the day after he hit no.500 and not reshuffling the entire batting order to accomodate the change, which is all that was going on.

It's not like Ozzie's decided that Erstad is his new lock at 3rd in the order.

nothing ozzie does is rational.

Quote Originally Posted by WATERY View Post
    MMK - Houston, weren't you the one that argued lineup order had very little affect on production?
    Over a whole season, yes, lineup order has a very small effect on run production. However, there is still that small effect and a manager should always try to maximize run production even if it is only by a few runs. Batting at the top of the order leads to more at bats. You should try to minimize the number of at bats of poor hitters, not try to increase them.

Also, he managed to win a world title very recently. I am sure you wouldn't be against the A's giving Beane an extension when he has never accomplished more than a division title.
    Winning the world championship had more to do with fabulous pitching than it did Ozzie Guillen. And, it's not really that I'm against the extension, it's just, a really long extension for a manager who is always at odds with the media, insults his own players, and makes boneheaded decisions like this one. Also, Billy Beane is the general manager of the Athletics, not the manager like Ozzie is.

Quote Originally Posted by ltt
    the Sox were 64-85 with this guy (mostly) batting third: .268/.402/.520.

in any case, there's nothing crazy about resting Thome the day after he hit no.500 and not reshuffling the entire batting order to accomodate the change, which is all that was going on.

It's not like Ozzie's decided that Erstad is his new lock at 3rd in the order.
    I know. It doesn't affect anything because the White Sox are out of the race and it's just one game. It's just a silly decision is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Reade
    nothing ozzie does is rational.
    Hah. And irrational behavior earns him a contract through 2012.

OK Houston, it would be nice if you quit waffling on issues to in order to insult sports figures. This isn't firejoemorgan.

OK Houston, it would be nice if you quit waffling on issues to in order to insult sports figures. This isn't firejoemorgan.
    Why do you care if I insult sports figures?

Isn't this the "Sports Talk" forum? Isn't it common that when talking about sports, people express their opinions of sports figures? And as far as I know, it is perfectly within my right to have negative opinions of sports figures.

Notice - I said (paraphrasing) 'please quit waffling' in order to do so.

What do you mean by "waffling"? There is nothing I am doing wrong here. Quit trying to find things to argue over. Do you absolutely have to argue with me in every thread? It's like, if there's nothing to debate me over on the subject, you have to find other things to argue with me over. It's unneeded.

Obviously he has been able to win with talent, and this year the talent wasn't here. Why fire a proven winner?

I can't wrap my head around some of the ideas that float around here.

Obviously he has been able to win with talent, and this year the talent wasn't here. Why fire a proven winner?

I can't wrap my head around some of the ideas that float around here.
    Anybody can win with talent. It's also not possible to win if you don't have talent.

You take sides on issues to attack someone, then switch sides on the issues to attack someone else.

By the way, I'm not 'looking' for things to argue over, tyvm. And also, I will not take orders from you. Evar.