Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Expansion draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Expansion draft

how do you make one after 1997 on BM 2K7
    Come join me and nwuHockey's new sim league MVP mogul. There is a promise that nwu will behave. lol Sorry nwu.

MVP Mogul. Join now.

Re: Expansion draft

Users can't conduct their own expansion drafts. They can only happen when they did in real life.

ok can you add a team to the expansion draft in 92 or 97
    Come join me and nwuHockey's new sim league MVP mogul. There is a promise that nwu will behave. lol Sorry nwu.

MVP Mogul. Join now.

no
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

ok thanks.

MVP Mogul. Join now.

I really wish we could conduct the expansion draft ourselves! I come in as an expansion team in the first year and it would be fun to have pick of the rosters!

You can do a quasi-expansion draft by using the Force Trade option in Commish mode. Create a list of the players you want, and then simply force trade them to your expansion team.

Yeah but not te same cause they mighta been protected in a real expansion draft.

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    Yeah but not te same cause they mighta been protected in a real expansion draft.
    You just have to be realistic about who you choose. Put yourself in the other team's shoes and figure out who you think they would protect. Then choose from whoever is left.

For anyone who might be interested, here is my logic for creating a present-day "expansion draft".

1) Use Find Players in BM to copy and paste all active players into an Excel spreadsheet.

2) Sort the list by "Team" to isolate and exclude players already belonging to your expansion team(s), and also exclude the current list of free agents, since they are not part of the "expansion draft".

3) Sort the list on "Age" and delete anyone age 21 or younger.

4) Sort the remaining list on "Years Experience" and delete anyone who is arb eligible in 2010 (using BM08). This pretty much takes out players who haven't even sniffed the majors yet.

5) Sort the remaining players by team, and put yourself in each team's GM shoes to decide which 15 players you would protect if you were them. Bear in mind that older players with fat contracts are probably more likely (but not always) to be left unprotected than younger, cheaper talent. Delete the 15 protected players from each team's list.

Whatever you have left is, I think, a reasonable facsimile of the pool of players that would be available if an expansion draft were held today. Just my opinion of course, but I've tried this method 4-5 times now and been fairly satisfied with the results.

how long does this take?

Quote Originally Posted by beerchaser View Post
    For anyone who might be interested, here is my logic for creating a present-day "expansion draft".

1) Use Find Players in BM to copy and paste all active players into an Excel spreadsheet.

2) Sort the list by "Team" to isolate and exclude players already belonging to your team(s), and also exclude the current list of free agents, since they are not part of the "expansion draft".

4) Sort the remaining list on "Years Experience" and delete anyone who is arb eligible in 2010 (using BM08). This pretty much takes out players who haven't even sniffed the majors yet.

5) Sort the remaining players by team, and put yourself in each team's GM shoes to decide which 15 players you would protect if you were them. Bear in mind that older players with fat contracts are probably more likely (but not always) to be left unprotected than younger, cheaper talent. Delete the 15 protected players from each team's list.

Whatever you have left is, I think, a reasonable facsimile of the pool of players that would be available if an expansion draft were held today. Just my opinion of course, but I've tried this method 4-5 times now and been fairly satisfied with the results.

Part B of expansion draft process.

Steps 1-4, don't take long at all. Only a few minutes. Step 5 takes a little longer.

Then once you have your pool of players to choose from, it depends on how sophisticated you want to get with it. For example, if you have two expansion teams (they are usually added in pairs I think), do you want them to alternate picks from the entire pool, or just assign certain teams' lists of players to one or the other expansion team, etc. Alternating picks is much more time consuming, for me anyway.

I usually go with 2 expansion teams, then go with 15 players for each team in round 1, then allow the existing teams to protect 3 more players, then another 15 players each in round 2. Allow the teams to protect 3 more players after round 2, then for round 3 the expansion teams select 5 more players from whatever is left, for a total of 35 players for each expansion team. No existing team can lose more than one player in each round.

Then you have to go into Commish Mode to force trade the 70 players. It is somewhat time consuming, but I actually enjoy this process as much or more than I do the sims themselves. Call me weird if you like.

2) Sort the list by "Team" to isolate and exclude players already belonging to your expansion team(s), and also exclude the current list of free agents, since they are not part of the "expansion draft".

I wanted to post in response to your idea, beerchaser. I used this method and found it to work great. I have a true example of an "expansion team" (no huge stars, but some solid players - only five players with peaks in the 80's and the best being an 87 peak pitcher) which will prove to be a challenge, especially since my team does not get to be in the June draft the first season.

Excellent idea there. It is a little time consuming, but like you, I enjoy going through those little steps.

(NOTE TO OTHERS: This is your old friend BINGLEBOP. I am unable to log into the BINGLEBOP account for some reason. It doesn't say I have been banned or anything, but it just reverts back to the main screen, so I registered this name so I could post. Any ideas?)

Glad you like it Bingle. If/when Clay decides to put an expansion draft capability into BM, I would like to see it follow this same kind of logic.

Thumbs up Re: Expansion draft

Frankly, I like this suggestion better than my own (which was to protect the 8 batters in the teams lineup, and the first 7 pitchers in its bullpen).

It's more realistic, a most interesting procedure, and it gets one thinking like a gm for as many times as there are teams in the League.

This can't hurt for playing a game that invites one to be a gm, can it?

I think that I'll try out Beerchaser's suggestion for myself ...
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.