Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deadball Era Photos

Deadball Era Photos

Good day all,
    I'm currently working on a set of photos for the deadball era of baseball. I'm using the Library of Congress website to get actual photos of the players (incredible stuff there). Here are a few of the samples. I am cropping them all and giving them a sepia tone so the game will recognize them (since it doesn't do well with straight black and white photos). I'm working on 1901 and just going through 1910 for now at least. Once I PBP through that decade, I'll work on more.

1901 is finished and can be found here:
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by eecheerow; 09-02-2007 at 06:09 PM. Reason: added player names

Re: Deadball Era Photos

If someone can help that has done the photos, I'm having trouble with some names. Here are the names and how i've tried naming them in the database (is there a way to look up how names are done in the database?):

Tom Jones - tomjones.jpg and jonestom.jpg
    Bob Unglaub - bobunglaub.jpg and unglaubbob.jpg
    Ira Thomas - irathomas.jpg and thomasira.jpg
    Joe Lake - joelake.jpg and lakejoe.jpg

None of the above extensions work for those pics. I've tried adding 01 to a couple and that didn't seem to work either. These are all Baltimore Orioles 1901 players. thanks

never mind the above, i figured the names out

Quote Originally Posted by eecheerow View Post
    (it doesn't do well with straight black and white photos)
    It does but after changing to grey scale you have to set the image back to RGB. That's what I've been doing with b&w pics for the past 8 years.
    New to Baseball Mogul? Need player pics for your historic league? Don't like the default generics? Check out my picture libraries at Baseball SimCentral.

Visit my website (click on my name and scroll down) if SimCentral isn't working.

very cool stuff.. what'd you figure out on the names?

robinhoodnik Guest

go here http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/ruthba01.shtml

The part at the end that says ruthba01 is the lahman ID for Babe Ruth. You can use that (suggested) or the old method (not suggested) which is the last name plus the first name up to ten characters. Which would be ruthbabe. The problem is that you still have to differentiate between guys with the same or similar names and have to do all of the research yourself, manually. The best option is to use the baseball reference way. Also ignore punctuation. J.J. Putz will show as putzj.j.01 but for the game to find him, needs to have the periods removed and be typed as putzjj01.

thanks robin, i'll look into that as I couldn't get a few more like Charlie Jones on the Americans and a couple others

Also thanks Jeff for the tips on B&W, though now that I've made them I think I'll keep doing them in sepia tone as it looks cooler imo

yep baseball reference worked well, though hobe ferris and buck o'brien don't work still.. ah well, thats only 2 on the first two teams I did this morning.

***edit.. I saved those two players wrong, it's all good and working well. Hopefully will have 1901 to download by Monday at the latest.
    Last edited by eecheerow; 08-26-2007 at 12:29 AM. Reason: my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by eecheerow View Post
    Also thanks Jeff for the tips on B&W, though now that I've made them I think I'll keep doing them in sepia tone as it looks cooler imo
    More historically accurate, too.
    New to Baseball Mogul? Need player pics for your historic league? Don't like the default generics? Check out my picture libraries at Baseball SimCentral.

Visit my website (click on my name and scroll down) if SimCentral isn't working.

alright, 1901 is done. And when I mean done, I mean about 350 players done, cropped, and colored in sepia.

I hope you guys enjoy these, I am so far. I will be doing more years as I go along here, but I'm happy that '01 is done as thats the main player base to build on so the continuing years should go much faster. So download in the first post and I hope you enjoy!

I never added this to the index. Sorry!

Added to Index. Thank you for your contribution!
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

no problem, thanks ohms

robinhoodnik Guest

Here's what is probably the best picture of Shoeless Joe that I've ever seen. Scanned from a book, and cropped only (so you can do as you will with it), so it's huge, but here's a very nice picture.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ooh, thats a good one. Thanks for that

Here's Joe from his Cleveland days, circa 1913.
    Attached Images Attached Images