Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Baseball all star game oddities

Baseball all star game oddities

Oddities

* Of the eighteen players who started the 1934 All-Star Game, only one, Wally Berger, is not in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

* In 1945, with severe wartime travel restrictions in effect, the All-Star Game scheduled to be played at Boston's Fenway Park was canceled.

* There were two All-Star Games played each season from 1959 to 1962. The second game was added to raise money for the players' pension funds, as well as other causes.

* After the 1964 season and World Series, the managers, Johnny Keane of the St. Louis Cardinals and Yogi Berra of the New York Yankees, left those teams (Keane was hired to manage the Yanks and Berra became a player-coach with the New York Mets.) The Philadelphia Phillies and Cincinnati Reds had finished in a second-place tie in the NL; the Chicago White Sox had finished second in the AL. Cincinnati's manager, Fred Hutchinson, had died in the off-season, so Phillies' manager Gene Mauch and White Sox' manager Al Lopez became the managers for the 1965 All-Star Game.

* Brooks Robinson (1966) and Carl Yastrzemski (1970) are the only players to be named All-Star MVP while playing for the losing team.

* The 1967 game lasted 15 innings. That is currently the record of the greatest number of innings played in a MLB All-Star game.

* Rico Carty was the first player ever selected to an All-Star team as a write-in candidate by fans, in 1970, the first year that voting was given back to the fans. Upon getting elected, he was quoted as saying "Thanks to the fans for making this possible, and thanks to Gilette for making this all necessary."

* Steve Garvey was the second player ever selected to an All-Star team as a write-in candidate by fans, in 1974. He was later the MVP of that game.

* The 1981 game in Cleveland was moved from its original July date to Sunday night, August 9. It was the first non-exhibition game played after the end of the players' strike, with second half play beginning the next afternoon with a game in Wrigley Field in Chicago. The 1981 game is the only game to be played on a weekend.

* In 1983, Fred Lynn became the first player to hit a grand slam in an All-Star game.

* Beginning in 1989, the DH position was added to games hosted by the American League. The pitcher position is listed in the batting lineup during games hosted by the National League.

* Normally the managers of the All-Star game are the same ones who played against each other during the previous year's World Series. There was no World Series in 1994 due to the players' strike. In 1995, Montreal Expos' Felipe Alou and New York Yankees' Buck Showalter were chosen as managers for the All-Star game on the basis of their teams finishing with the best win-loss records in their respective (National and American) leagues during the previous season.

* The 2002 game ended in a tie because the teams had run out of substitute players available to pitch in relief.

* As of the 2006 All-Star Game, the cumulative run totals for all 77 games played was 652: 326 runs for the American League, 326 for the National.[5]

* In 2007, Ichiro Suzuki became the first player to hit an inside the park home run in an All-Star Game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_L..._Game#Oddities
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .

Re: Baseball all star game oddities

Quote Originally Posted by Wassit3 View Post
    * There were two All-Star Games played each season from 1959 to 1962. The second game was added to raise money for the players' pension funds, as well as other causes.
    I would like to see them play a series best of three now that the home field is dependent upon the winner.
    [IMG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u30/xplosiongurl/redsox.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post
    I would like to see them play a series best of three now that the home field is dependent upon the winner.
    good idea, but would you make player participation mandatory?
    Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are .

good idea, but would you make player participation mandatory?
    No, I dont think Id make it mandatory.

But if the player refused to play he wouldnt be credited with the label all star.

Which may come back to haunt him when being considered for the HOF.

Or maybe add some incentives and other disincentives to get players to want to play.
    [IMG]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u30/xplosiongurl/redsox.gif[/IMG]

robinhoodnik Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post

But if the player refused to play he wouldnt be credited with the label all star.

Which may come back to haunt him when being considered for the HOF.
    Great idea. They have to play if they're starters or lose the all star on their resume. No fake injuries allowed for Manny Ramirez either!

i would not force them to play but if you skip the all star game you can't play in your teams first 10 games after the all star break...

One allstar game is enough, but having home field advantage in the WS riding on the outcome of an exhibition game is just silly, imo. That idea needs to be scrapped, pronto.

I like the idea of one game and making it mean something. I'm all for the home field advantage idea.
    Save some money

[url= http://www.magsforless.com/cat_sports.cfm] magazine subscriptions [/url]

[url= http://www.fatwallet.com/] fat wallet [/url]

If MLB is going to stick with interleague play (and there's no indication that their going to do away with it), then the league vs. league record would certainly be a better system to use for determining the World Series home team.

The All-Star game has always been an exhibition, and it should remain so. Linking the World Series home team to the outcome of the game is rather silly, in my opinion.

An All-Star series or something doesn't honestly interest me that much. the single game is fun, but one per year is enough.

As for participation being mandatory, I like the ideas offered about about removing All-Star eligibility from players who decide not to play. Really, before the voting or selection even gets underway, I think that players should be required to declare their intention to participate or not (injuries are obviously an exception). If a player says that he'll play, isn't injured, and yet doesn't play, then not only should they not receive credit for being an All-Star, they should also be fined. Players can be fined for not making a certain amount of appearances to the media, and I really don't see this as anything different.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Quote Originally Posted by ohms_law View Post
    If MLB is going to stick with interleague play (and there's no indication that their going to do away with it), then the league vs. league record would certainly be a better system to use for determining the World Series home team.

The All-Star game has always been an exhibition, and it should remain so. Linking the World Series home team to the outcome of the game is rather silly, in my opinion.

An All-Star series or something doesn't honestly interest me that much. the single game is fun, but one per year is enough.

As for participation being mandatory, I like the ideas offered about about removing All-Star eligibility from players who decide not to play. Really, before the voting or selection even gets underway, I think that players should be required to declare their intention to participate or not (injuries are obviously an exception). If a player says that he'll play, isn't injured, and yet doesn't play, then not only should they not receive credit for being an All-Star, they should also be fined. Players can be fined for not making a certain amount of appearances to the media, and I really don't see this as anything different.
    the players would probably argue they are paid to play for their teams, not put on exhibit games, playing devils advocate,

It is not about 'being the best determiner for the home field advantage'. It was simply made to make the game have a value other than being an exhibition only. I think it does succeed in making the game worth something for the fans, which is of great value in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by ohms_law View Post

Also, if they're going to make it mean something, they should change it from a popularity contest to a team of the actual best players in the league.

* The 1967 game lasted 15 innings. That is currently the record of the greatest number of innings played in a MLB All-Star game.
    Conversely, the 1952 game only lasted 5 innings due to rain.
    New to Baseball Mogul? Need player pics for your historic league? Don't like the default generics? Check out my picture libraries at Baseball SimCentral.

Visit my website (click on my name and scroll down) if SimCentral isn't working.

the players would probably argue they are paid to play for their teams, not put on exhibit games, playing devils advocate,
    I'm sure that they would, but I'm almost positive that players have an agreement in the collective bargaining agreement that they will do a certain amount of "publicity". The ASG (actually, the whole week) could simply be added specifically to that.
    Any of this would need to be added to the CBA anyway...
    Quote Originally Posted by slowrx7 View Post
    It is not about 'being the best determiner for the home field advantage'. It was simply made to make the game have a value other than being an exhibition only. I think it does succeed in making the game worth something for the fans, which is of great value in itself.
    Yea, I know. The game being "worth something" isn't really the most accepted concept ever though. There has been quite a few editorials against it.
    No matter what, it's still just an exhibition game anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Also, if they're going to make it mean something, they should change it from a popularity contest to a team of the actual best players in the league.
    I'd like that, however the All-Star voting is a popular aspect of the game with many fans.
    *shrug*
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Yeah, I could see your point though, ohms - I just dont share it