Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this article? "If A-Rod went to the Giants"

What do you think of this article? "If A-Rod went to the Giants"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19683904/

Personally I think the guy is nuts.

Basically he says when A-Rod opts out of his contract at the end of the year (he makes it sound as though its a done deal), the Giants should pay him $30,000,000 a season for the next 6 seasons, because his wife wore a controversial shirt, and if he averages just 40 Home Runs in each of those seasons (ages 32-38) he'll be right about at where the record will be, and The Giants are used to paying huge sums of money to one player and not getting a title in return. (I'll give him this, its true.) Also,
    Itís a great city that isnít offended by messages on t-shirts.
    Really?

In 4 years as a yankee, he'll only have hit 40 HR in two of them, and this is his prime. How in the world will he manage 40 a year until he is 38? Besides, I haven't heard him state that he wants to opt out of his contract at the end of the year, he's having a career year in NY right now. And if he does, would he really be interested in the Giants? I wouldn't think so. *shrug*

Yankees-2007 World Series Winnners

Re: What do you think of this article? "If A-Rod went to the Giants"

The Giants

SUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees Fan View Post
    Personally I think the guy is nuts.
    He's HatGuy. He is nuts.

Besides, I haven't heard him state that he wants to opt out of his contract at the end of the year, he's having a career year in NY right now.
    That career year is precisely why it would make sense (for him) to opt out. He's due 80 million or so over the next 3 years. If he opts out, he could very well be in line for another $200 million deal. If he rides out the contract, he likely won't get as much money IN ALL as he would if he did opt out. Don't forget, he could still opt out and resign with the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post

That career year is precisely why it would make sense (for him) to opt out. He's due 80 million or so over the next 3 years. If he opts out, he could very well be in line for another $200 million deal. If he rides out the contract, he likely won't get as much money IN ALL as he would if he did opt out. Don't forget, he could still opt out and resign with the Yankees.
    If he did that, I'm sure that Steinbrenner would be pissed and refuse to sign him. But when you put it like that, it does make a lot of sense for him to opt out. Even though he has all the money he'll ever need, the rich only want more money.

Yankees-2007 World Series Winnners

"Itís a great city that isnít offended by messages on t-shirts."

Whoa, I missed that the first time around. Isn't offended?? In the People's Republic of California?? lololololol

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees Fan View Post
    If he did that, I'm sure that Steinbrenner would be pissed and refuse to sign him. But when you put it like that, it does make a lot of sense for him to opt out. Even though he has all the money he'll ever need, the rich only want more money.

A-Rod will do WHAT Boras' tells him to do
    - if he thinks he can (& usually Boras CAN) get 200 mill, A-Rod will opt out,if however he thinks not then he will stay....the best suitors are said to be "Angels","Red Sox" & possibly "Giants" but I would think it is down really to the Angels/Red Sox & Yankees if one of the three "fails" to get to post season they will be on Scott's cell phone in 30 secs with a offer

My prediction: A-Rod will opt out, but the Yankees will resign him almost immediately. It's not even really going to be competitive.

oh, and this PS.: A-Rod will break Bond's all-time HR record (after he finally does, of course). I don't think that that's too shocking of a prediction for most people though... but this may be. I predict that at some point in the next couple of years, he's also going to break the single season record as well. Home runs are "old guy skills", and Alex is only going to get better (albeit slower) in the next few years.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Quote Originally Posted by ohms_law View Post
    Home runs are "old guy skills", and Alex is only going to get better (albeit slower) in the next few years.
    Well be careful here. Home runs may sometimes be lumped in with "old guy skills" but it certainly isn't true that the average player increases his power while going into his mid 30s/late 30s. A player's power peak is usually between 27-31. Players who are refererred to as having "old guy skills" are usually slow guys that walk and hit home runs. "old guy skills" doesn't really mean that its skills that you develop more of as you become an old guy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    Well be careful here. Home runs may sometimes be lumped in with "old guy skills" but it certainly isn't true that the average player increases his power while going into his mid 30s/late 30s.
    I don't disagree, but the key work in that sentence is "that the average player increases".
    I don't know many people who would call A-Rod average.

He fits the "had a power spike" archetype player, almost to a tee. He's quite a bit similar to Bonds, actually.
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

I don't disagree, but the key work in that sentence is "that the average player increases".
    I don't know many people who would call A-Rod average.

He fits the "had a power spike" archetype player, almost to a tee. He's quite a bit similar to Bonds, actually.
    Yeah, possibly. I wasn't disagreeing with your predictions, just pointing something out.

I do think, barring injury, he'll break the all-time home run record. I'm not so sure if he'll get the single season mark. I'm fairly certain he'll hit 60 one year (and possibly set a so-called "clean" record), possibly even this, but I don't really think he'll be able to smash 74.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that he'll hit mid-90's sometime in the next 5 years.

My prediction: A-Rod will opt out, but the Yankees will resign him almost immediately. It's not even really going to be competitive.
    I think that it's possible that that negotiation might already have been done before he officially opts out.

He might opt out, but I doubt he'll go to San Francisco.
    Save some money

[url= http://www.magsforless.com/cat_sports.cfm] magazine subscriptions [/url]

[url= http://www.fatwallet.com/] fat wallet [/url]

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I think that it's possible that that negotiation might already have been done before he officially opts out.
    Very likely, I would say. Him and Boras will still go through with it just to see what other GM/Owners offer (and if someone comes with an off the wall offer like Texas did before they'll take it, I'm positive), but the Yankees know what the deal is and will be willing to see that through. Even Steinbrenner isn't that egotistical, just to not resign a super-star because he doesn't want him receiving other offers. The NY fans seem to (mostly) like him as well, despite the playoff reputation which he is seeming to build.

"MLB sources told ESPN.com's Buster Olney that the Yankees are now willing to negotiate with Alex Rodriguez during the season."
    from Rotoworld