Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day! (Unless you are a Met or Card fan, atleast)

Opening Day! (Unless you are a Met or Card fan, atleast)

[B](This is basically now the 2007 MLB off-topic/Argue about Division/Argue about pitching/Discuss crappy weather topic).

How you liking your teams performance this opening day?

11-3 in the 5th Inning, I really can't complain about Cleveland's performance.
    Last edited by Babrook; 04-10-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Re: Opening Day! (Unless you are a Met or Card fan, atleast)

Quote Originally Posted by Babrook View Post

Too bad the twins are going to win the division again this year. Another long year for tribe fans.
    "No matter how bad life gets there is always BEER"(Norm MacDonald)

"You sir are an idiot." (nyyanks1 in honor of JacksonFive)

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNYOU69 View Post
    Too bad the twins are going to win the division again this year. Another long year for tribe fans.
    Well allow me to retort;

Only team to really worry about as far as I'm concerned is Detroit, who I think are currently the best team in baseball. The Twins are really overrated.

Yeah, they have Johan Santana, who is the best starting pitcher in baseball, but Carlos Silva gives up way too many runs, and Ponson is coming off a really lackluster (see-bad) year(s) (see-career). Justin Morneau is good but I really doubt that he'll be able to duplicate the numbers he had last year, and Cuddyer is a dangerous little gun, and Mauer's good, but other then that no-one on their lineup really impressed me that much. Then again the team is really all pitching, but with this year's rotation I just don't think they can pull it off.

Compared to the Indians who have one of the best offenses in Baseball, and added a key player to mix (see- Barfield's speed) and fixed the biggest issue we have- our Bullpen. Borowski looked a little bit shaky at first during today's game but he finally settled down and did very well. Cleveland's starting rotation is great, with C.C Sabathia who is pretty close to Santana and I would even go as far as saying he's the second best pitcher in baseball, to Sowers, who looked shaky during the Civil Rights exhibition but I he still looks very good, to Westbrook who is also very solid. Paul Byrd is our weak spot, and Lee needs to stay healthy. Flaws? Victor Martinez is a great hitter, but can't gun down a runner for his life. They should just WALK to second base, because last year I think it was 30-outs on 140 attempts. That and the bullpen is very far from perfect, its just a major upgrade from last year.

Compared to the Tigers who just jumped out on everyone out of nowhere. I miss the days when they lost 120 games a season, lol. Their pitching is highlighted by two kids I didn't know about until last year, Maroth and Bonderman, both excellent. Kenny Rogers is a good veteran but all the press around him is that he needs to stay healthy or the Tigers are totally screwed. I agree that he needs to stay healthy but the team is still excellent without him. As for their lineup I like Thames alot more then I like Sheffield, and Pudge is still the best catcher in baseball, but if Sheffield can put up numbers like he did years ago, they are very, very potent.

Minnesota will finish 3rd, behind the Indians in 2nd, and Detroit in first, and if Santana gets hurt, Twinkies are in real trouble.

You gotta love King Felix going 8 shutout innings, striking out 12. Really, the only bright spot on the Mariners this year. What with all the horrendous offseason moves the front office made. I'm looking forward to yet another mediocre year where they're hovering around .500 and close enough to the weak AL West lead to taunt and tease, but in reality never really making any serious noise to contend. Then hopefully we can start getting rid of some dead weight on the club.

How about Ben Sheets!!!!!! The most dominating opening day start since 1992. It's destiny!!!!!

Reigning league MVP went yard in his first at bat on his way to 3 hits in 4 at bats....reigning Cy young Yohan Santana wins his first outing (granted, not his best outing, but thats to the point)....and reigning AL batting champ gets a hit in his first at bat, goes 1 - 3 with a walk....all in all a good night for the REIGNING AL Central Champions, the MINNESOTA TWINS ! ! ! ! ! !
    [U][B]Justin D[/B][/U]
    [COLOR="Blue"][B][URL="http://bmo.sportsmogul.com/users.pl?viewuser=yank4251"]Active GM League - NY Mets[/URL][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://bmo.sportsmogul.com/users.pl?viewuser=dabruinss"]Dabs 24 Hour League - Chicago
    [/URL][URL="http://bmo.sportsmogul.com/users.pl?viewuser=michaelg123"]Independant League 30 - Cincinatti[/URL][/COLOR][/B]

I feel bad for delusional Indian fans!!
    [U][B]Justin D[/B][/U]
    [COLOR="Blue"][B][URL="http://bmo.sportsmogul.com/users.pl?viewuser=yank4251"]Active GM League - NY Mets[/URL][/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://bmo.sportsmogul.com/users.pl?viewuser=dabruinss"]Dabs 24 Hour League - Chicago
    [/URL][URL="http://bmo.sportsmogul.com/users.pl?viewuser=michaelg123"]Independant League 30 - Cincinatti[/URL][/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by jdiggin View Post
    I feel bad for delusional Twins fans!!
    Fix'd.

The sooner you come to terms with the fact that Minnesota, while good, will not be good enough to beat the Indians and Tigers, the better off you'll be. You can live the next few months in a self-created fantasy and be disappointed come September, or just give up now .

Fix'd.

The sooner you come to terms with the fact that Minnesota, while good, will not be good enough to beat the Indians and Tigers, the better off you'll be. You can live the next few months in a self-created fantasy and be disappointed come September, or just give up now .
    The funny thing is I have been hearing this about the Twins the last five years. They don't have what it takes to win the division. I can handle it when people doubt them each year. But winning the division four out of the last five kinda says it all.

Yes, but the Twins have (basically) stayed the same, while their two main competitors have vastly improved. Cleveland, for one, has fixed their main flaw, Bullpen, and still have one of the most dangerous offenses in all of Baseball. Detroit's pitching is superb and they have added some to their offense.

We'll see at the end of the season, and promise me this; when they end the season in 3rd, can I have the last laugh?

2 - 0 = Twins; regardless of what you think, the division runs through the division winner (of 4 of the last 5 years!)
    [U][B]Justin D[/B][/U]

Yes, but the Twins have (basically) stayed the same, while their two main competitors have vastly improved. Cleveland, for one, has fixed their main flaw, Bullpen, and still have one of the most dangerous offenses in all of Baseball. Detroit's pitching is superb and they have added some to their offense.

We'll see at the end of the season, and promise me this; when they end the season in 3rd, can I have the last laugh?
    Go ahead and laugh. Just make sure you go out and buy yourself a twins jersey once they win the World Series. 2-0 on their way to 162-0.

2-0 on their way to 162-0.
    162-0 Now thats a delusional twins. What a fool, 162-0 I do think they will lose at least one game this season.

2-0 on their way to 162-0 (or 161-1).
    I don't care if you're kidding or not, but you just killed all your credibility.

SO are you going to give actually reason why they are gonna do good or are you just going to bank on well they did in the past? Because really, just arguing over the performance in one game, and how well they did last year, has no merit by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdiggin
    2 - 0 = Twins; regardless of what you think, the division runs through the division winner (the Detroit Tigers)

This years Twins team is the greatest of all time ! ! !
    I couldn't agree more Boobrak!

Look, I can do it too!!
    [U][B]Justin D[/B][/U]