Thread: Creating a new skin and using photo, logo, and sound mods

Creating a new skin and using photo, logo, and sound mods

Creating a new skin for Mogul is easy to do, and should be done in order to avoid altering the default SportsMogul skin.
    Some of the game patches check for a few of the pictures and logos in the SportsMogul skin in order to ensure that you have the full version, so leaving the default files unaltered is important.
    (note that the check for photos was removed in a more recent patch. The fact remains that it's still a good idea to put additions in a custom skin rather then messing with the default skin. There are several reasons for this, not least of which is that you'll always have the default skin to fall back on)

The Skins for Baseball Mogul are all located in:
    C:\Program Files\Sports Mogul\Baseball Mogul 2008\Skins
    (if you used the default location to install the game, anyway)

Step1: Create A New Folder
    In order to create a new skin, simply add a folder to the ..\Baseball Mogul 2008\Skins directory. You can name the new folder anything that you like. In game, the Skin that you are creating is then named whatever you name this folder as.

Step 2: Copy NewsColors.ini
    Now, go to the SportsMogul folder and copy the NewsColors.ini file from that folder. Now navigate to the new folder that you created above and paste the file into that directory.
    NewsColors.ini is the minimum item required to actually create a skin. The file itself sets the colors of most of the buttons, text, and dialog box backgrounds in the game. If you're interested in changing any of those items, feel free to open the file in a text editor (notepad is fine) and fool around with the settings. If you mess something up bad enough that you can't see in the game or anything like that, you can always switch back to the default SportsMogul skin. You can't actually "break" the game by editing these files.
    "New" skins, like you've just created here, will use any missing elements from the SportsMogul skin if you do not specifically include them in your custom skin. Therefore, you do not need to copy any of the other files from the SportsMogul skin unless you want to.

Step 3: Adding Logos
    If you're interested in adding your own team Logos to the game, complete step 1 and step 2, and then create a Logos folder in your new skin folder.
    The game finds Logos for teams according to the team name abbreviation. So for example, the New York Yankees team logo is NYY.png, the Boston Red Sox team logo is BOS.png, etc... If you create a custom team in the League Editor, the game will search for and use the file that corresponds with the team abbreviation that you've given the new team as well. You could also change the team abbreviations in game at appropriate times in order to use year special logos, if you wish.
    Logo files can be in either png (portable network graphic) or jpg (JPEG standard graphic) format.

Step 4: Adding Pictures
    If you wish to add player photos or action photos to the game, complete step 1 and step 2, and then create a Photos folder in your new skin folder. Within the Photos folder, create a folder for Portraits (if you're adding the headshot type of photos, which show on player cards) or Action (if you're adding photos that will show up on news stories).
    You can add as many files as you wish to either the Action or Portraits folders.
    The game uses one of two methods to determine the correct photo to use for each player. The most sure method to use is to name the photos after the players Lahman playerID. Each playerID from Lahman is unique, so using this naming convention ensures that you will not have photos showing up for the incorrect players.
    While using the playerID to name photos is the best method to use, it's also cumbersome since you usually need to look up the actual ID to ensure that you're using the correct one for the correct player. The other naming method that is available is a First Name/Last Name convention. The rules for this naming convention are that the file name cannot be longer than 10 characters, and that if the combined first and last name of a player are too long, you should shorten the first name to 5 characters, and if it's still too long then you should shorten the last name to 5 characters.
    *** Beware, there are several instances of players with the same first and last name. using this method, you can and will have the incorrect picture showing up for the incorrect players occasionally! ***

Step 5: Adding Sounds
    If you want to change the sounds that the game uses in Play By Play, complete step 1 and step 2, and then create a Sound directory in your new skin folder.
    The game includes several wave files. In your custom skin, you can include files with the same name as the .wav files in the SportsMogul skin in order to replace those sound effects.

I messed up the SportsMogul skin, what now!?
    If you are missing or have altered files in the SportsMogul Skin, you can easily fix the problems that this causes by installing the game using the "Repair Application" option. There's no need to do a complete reinstall, and the repair option will leave save games and any other custom content unaltered.
    Start the Baseball Mogul installer (Insert the CD if you have a CD, or click the file if you have the download version) and the Repair Application option is on the first page:
    Name:  2007-03-29_100740.jpg
Views: 8472
Size:  64.5 KB
    Last edited by ohms_law; 06-14-2007 at 10:35 PM.

Re: Creating a new skin and using photo, logo, and sound mods

In Step 2 how do you change the settings and what can I change them to??

Some of the pictures are not showing up and i made sure i labled them LIKE ari.png, iam i doing it wrong or just missing something

Quote Originally Posted by Bosox34 View Post
    In Step 2 how do you change the settings and what can I change them to??
    You can change the settings in newscolors.ini using notepad. Just follow the examples that are already there and experiment a little bit and you should be able to get what you want. There's some documentation in the file itself as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dwalt2907 View Post
    Some of the pictures are not showing up and i made sure i labled them LIKE ari.png, iam i doing it wrong or just missing something
    Did you copy newscolors.ini to the folder for the new skin?
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Do I need Baseball mogul 2008 for the 2008 skins directory. I only have 2010 and I cant find the stadiums or the directory. I am new to the game and am probably doing something wrong.