Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: READ FIRST: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Re: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

well, it's not the optimal solution, but I guess that that works.
    there are permanent redirects stickied in the Bug reporting and Suggestions forums pointing to this thread now...

I wish there was a way to change exiting threads into anouncements...
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Its just in the last 3 days 5 or 6 same question ( & before you ask NO Dave involved) & a re hash of questions posted 15 days ago - may an explaination on how to use "Search" ?

heh
    that's a battle that will go on forever and ever. new people come in, and they often don't even know what to search for.
    keeping posts in the most correct sub-forums is the best solution overall. It let's people know what forum is the correct place to both post and look for similar topics, you know?

which brings me to another point, incidentally. You all know that i'm not shy about moving threads. I generally read everything, but if there's a day old thread you think should be moved, post something polite about it in the thread. There's no need to go nuts (like going back days and days), but feel free to ask. I don't mind at all. just, don't be surprised if one of those posts get's deleted (as long as there's nothing actually topical in the post...).
    You insist that there is something a machine cannot do. If you will tell me precisely what it is that a machine cannot do, then I can always make a machine which will do just that! -J. von Neumann

Quote Originally Posted by ohms_law View Post
    well, it's not the optimal solution, but I guess that that works.
    there are permanent redirects stickied in the Bug reporting and Suggestions forums pointing to this thread now...

Can you put links in announcements? If so, you could make an announcement that linked to the FAQ and asked everyone to read it before posting, in especially before posting in Bugs

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

If post count doesnt mean anything then deletion of threads should be done especially if they are "repeats" or "merging" - always wonderd that the "weight" of posts doesnt affect the forum....

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SirKodiak View Post
    Can you put links in announcements? If so, you could make an announcement that linked to the FAQ and asked everyone to read it before posting, in especially before posting in Bugs
    Definitely AGREE as some bugs aint bugs & vice versa

The problem with that is probably - if the existing thread gets editted, what happens to the announcement? Why not just make an announcement with a link to this thread?

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Good suggestion (more work for the Mods ) or have guys like you,SK or whoever( even me ?), when answering put the link in...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    The problem with that is probably - if the existing thread gets editted, what happens to the announcement? Why not just make an announcement with a link to this thread?
    well, all the anouncement threads that i've seen are just regular posts. The threads simply "break the rules" by showing up in every sub-forum.

I considered copy/pasting SirKodiak's thread into a new announcement thread, but then I would own it and SirKodiak couldn't edit it like he should be able to do...

I guess I could do the anouncement with a link in it. That's such a messy solution though (anouncment post -> actual post, with links to the actual answeres in some cases...).

The people that need to read the FAQ never do anyway, so...
    *shrug*

heh
    that's a battle that will go on forever and ever. new people come in, and they often don't even know what to search for.
    keeping posts in the most correct sub-forums is the best solution overall. It let's people know what forum is the correct place to both post and look for similar topics, you know?

which brings me to another point, incidentally. You all know that i'm not shy about moving threads. I generally read everything, but if there's a day old thread you think should be moved, post something polite about it in the thread. There's no need to go nuts (like going back days and days), but feel free to ask. I don't mind at all. just, don't be surprised if one of those posts get's deleted (as long as there's nothing actually topical in the post...).
    the search function doesnt even work for me

only way to get search to work really, is to use "open in new tab", or "open in new window".

vBulletin's little menu widget's don't seem to work most of the time for whatever reason. I think that it has to do with javascript, but I haven't ever cared enough to investigate.

only way to get search to work really, is to use "open in new tab", or "open in new window".

vBulletin's little menu widget's don't seem to work most of the time for whatever reason. I think that it has to do with javascript, but I haven't ever cared enough to investigate.
    thanks for the tip. shoulda thought of that myself

as far as vBull search, its works fine at all the other vBull sites i frequent, so maybe there's a java script conflict involving mods somewhere??

The people that need to read the FAQ never do anyway, so...
    *shrug*
    Quote Originally Posted by disposablehero View Post
    the search function doesnt even work for me
    Quote Originally Posted by disposablehero View Post
    thanks for the tip. shoulda thought of that myself
    Heh, check out #14 in the FAQ

Heh, check out #14 in the FAQ
    DOH! thats a double

Mr SirKodiak-----can't seem to find how to correct this minor issue. I am using BBMO7---ver 9.45---------every time I have a 5 man rotation and I simm the entire year, the 5th starter ends up with lik only 3 or 4 starts??????????? Not due to injuries of any sort---the game seems to always "skip" the fifth starter??
    any help would be appreciated. Thanks.