View Poll Results: Add a "Green Light" option in Play-By-Play?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 93.40%
  • No

7 6.60%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Green Light" feature

"Green Light" feature

BMoseley07 suggested an option between "Don't Steal" and "Steal":

"I think there also should be some way to give a player the green light. So you don't always have to pick and then that player has to rely on it's intincts on when the best time to go is."

Should we add this for Baseball Mogul 2008. A simple option to give the runner the green light. In general it would increase the chance of a successful steal, because the runner would only go when he felt like he could get a good jump. But of course there would be the chance that he doesn't steal at all...

Clay
    Clay Dreslough, Sports Mogul Inc.
    cjd at sportsmogul dot com / blog / twitter

Forum Rules
    Bug reports and roster corrections: support@sportsmogul.com

Re: "Green Light" feature

I think it would be nice, but there are more inportant things to focus on. So really it depends on how long the programing takes to add this feature.
    Sports Mogul Moderator

If its a easy add-on sure, but I would honestly be content with 2k8 if the AI was improved and the rosters updated..no other changes.

Quote Originally Posted by QHowes
    If its a easy add-on sure, but I would honestly be content with 2k8 if the AI was improved and the rosters updated..no other changes.
    I don't know if i would call it "easy," most likely there will be tons of bugs when the player is running too much when you give him the green light or he won't run enough. etc.
    Sports Mogul Moderator

bmoseley07 Guest

Yea, but it should be in there.

Voice of dissent on this one. I say nah! It would probably be a major hassle for you down the line.

I like it, but the defense needs more anti-running game options too, most notably
    pickoff throws (reduce chance of a steal attempt and % success, but perhaps
    contributes to fatigue a bit and slightly increases chances of current batter
    getting a hit).

Maybe I'm missing something..In pbp mode, players don't attempt to steal unless you put the steal on. Would this option override the "steal" option that the manager puts on? Would this affect AI controlled teams?
    In regards to steals, I found stealing way to easy on both sides so I reduced to -20 in steals and +20 in playes thrown out..seems more realistic now. Also, I find AI teams attempt to steal in unrealistic situations (down by 3 or more runs in late innings for example) and attempt to steal 3rd too often and in odd situations. So I have reserved my vote on this option at this time.

Thumbs down Re: "Green Light" feature

[QUOTE=RAW;647948]In pbp mode, players don't attempt to steal unless you put the steal on.

Sorry Raw, I have to disagree with you...in pbp, I never click on the "steal" option - in my opinion, the "run and hit" option (note NOT"hit and run") is way better. In r&h, the batter never has to "take" a pitch (usually a precious "strike" against him, in my experience), and Rongar's rabbit, running on the first "ball" delivered is going to steal or not, depending on how inept is the opposing battery, or how ept is he.

An added benefit to "run and hit" is that, when it's on, should the batter actually score a hit, he tends to push the runner to an extra base or two, sometimes this little rabbit goes wiwiwi all the way home, depending upon his speed.

Yet another advantage is that r&h can avoid a double play, if the batter be a bucketfoot. I had a coupla guys that were always hitting into DP's until I inserted a rabbit in the lineup directly before each one, problem solved, the batter, alone, grounding out, the runner usually safe at 2nd.

Pbp-playing Folks, I have found "run and hit" to be a fun option, better imo than "steal" - try it, you may like it. Again I urge you not to confuse it with "Hit & Run" - different ballgame, entirely.
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something..In pbp mode, players don't attempt to steal unless you put the steal on. Would this option override the "steal" option that the manager puts on? Would this affect AI controlled teams?
    It'd be another option just like "Steal." When you choose it, it's basically saying "Go when you think you can definitley make it." It's leaving the decision up to the base runner, rather than your call.

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar
    Sorry Raw, I have to disagree with you...
    What are you disagreeing with? He said that players don't steal unless you tell them to, which is true...

Thumbs down Re: "Green Light" feature

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonGM View Post
    It'd be another option just like "Steal." When you choose it, it's basically saying "Go when you think you can definitley make it." It's leaving the decision up to the base runner, rather than your call.

What are you disagreeing with? He said that players don't steal unless you tell them to, which is true...
    My quarrel was with RAW's statement "In pbp mode, players don't attempt to steal unless you put the steal on"...to me, the implication is that clicking on the "steal" option is the only way to steal.

If I were a newby reading that, and took it as gospel, I might never discover the fun of using "run and hit"
    "Whate'er should be our Zodiac's star
    We all are born to make or mar.
    To each is gi'en a bag of tools
    Some mentors, and a set of rules:
    And each must carve, ere life has flown,
    A stumbling block, or a stepping-stone"

(Author unknown)

Generation 35.

"Spikes" The cleats on baseball boots
    "Spikes" On which newspaper editors impale copy for future reference, or ultimate destruction.

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

I voted yes but I would like if possible for the pitcher to reflect/simulate pickoffs as well

I like that idea alot as it is more realistic and it limits the amount of chances a manager has to let fast baserunners steal as the AI would be dealing with it. Now I haven't completed a full season with the '80 Astros but some of them have some pretty high steal numbers already and they aren't getting on base that often so what would happen if they were ... they would have crazy steal numbers ... uhmmm I like the green light idea but of course it would be in the beta testing right ?

absolutly!!! No if's ands or Butts (hehehe I said butts)
    The Constitution was designed by the founders to save people from themselves. It never fails to amaze me how good of a job they did
    haveacigar
    My Finest work!!!
    Death don't want ya... But the Lotus do... so bring ya wicked shlt we gonna bring ours too!!!
    ><((((> .`.><((((> .`.><((((>
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><((((>

FRENCHREDSOX Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    absolutly!!! No if's ands or Butts (hehehe I said butts)
    twice does that mean twin buttocks then ?