PDA

View Full Version : More than 25% of Kids and Teens in the U.S. Take Prescriptions on a Regular Basis

filihok
12-28-2010, 11:30 PM
According to the Wall Street Journal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203731004576046073896475588.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_editorsPicks_1)

These days, the medicine cabinet is truly a family affair. More than a quarter of U.S. kids and teens are taking a medication on a chronic basis, according to Medco Health Solutions Inc.,

:( Scary

And that, of course, leads to this (http://www.uswaternews.com/archives/arcquality/5pharpass11.html)

Over the last two years, scientists working on the Potomac River have netted 111 smallmouth bass with bizarre sexual traits. The fish were males but had eggs growing inside their testes.

Researchers found many of these gender-bending bass downstream from sewage treatment plants in water tinged with a chemical called ethinylestradiol -- the active ingredient in birth control pills.

More studies are necessary, biologists say, but evidence is mounting that trace levels of prescription drugs in rivers and streams may be harming fish, tadpoles, frogs, mussels and oysters. The pharmaceuticals are passing unaltered through people's bodies and sewage plants into waterways.

In Pennsylvania, a biologist reported that small amounts of Prozac may cause mussels and clams to discharge their sperm and eggs prematurely, dooming their offspring. And in Texas, a researcher found that the sexual organs of male minnows shrank when they were lowered into a river tainted with birth control drugs.

The study is important, Blazer said, because fish with deformed sex organs might not reproduce as well. People also draw drinking water from the Potomac, and the same chemicals that could be harming fish populations might also be affecting humans, she said.

acetoolguy
12-29-2010, 09:03 AM
We used to whine about TV taking the place of parenting, now its the American pharmacist.

Wassit3
12-29-2010, 09:14 AM
We used to whine about TV taking the place of parenting, now its the American pharmacist.

:)

dickay
12-29-2010, 10:40 AM
thats one of the most significant problems with US Healthcare. We don't practice any preventative care, we treat the illness after it arrives. We've got medication and "syndromes" for everything now. Restless leg syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, I saw a medication yesterday called "lypozene" which is a pill which takes away fat instead of using lyposuction. Whatever happened to a jog and diet? That would "cure" half of our medical issues at least.

filihok
12-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Whatever happened to a jog and diet? That would "cure" half of our medical issues at least.

Where are the billions to be made in that?

dickay
12-29-2010, 11:28 AM

precisely......but to be honest Billy Blanks has made quite a living i'd bet. As has Jenny Craig, and the many others.

OregonDuck1989
12-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Preying on an American's Self Confidence. Making normal people into millionaires since 1952!

Manny Trillo
12-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Oh no! Prescriptions! Terrible!

I take Zyrtec for my allergies! That used to be a prescription! It helps my allergies, but terrible! How dare I use prescriptions!

Alloutwar
12-29-2010, 02:57 PM
I've worked in medicine and healthcare for 12 years now, and specifically in Pharmacy for 9. I worked with every prescription drug available in retail drugstores, and made more by hand via compounding, like suppositories or specialty concoctions.

I hate taking medication and avoid it just about however/whenever possible. Many of the pharmacists I worked with were of like mind. We over-prescribe, self-medicate, and overuse chemical compounds that are unnatural, and assume our bodies will just work normally.

It's not that prescriptions are terrible, we are just over-reliant. If this continues for a few more generations, we'll have more allergies and weaknesses as we grow dependent on substances and defenses our bodies do not produce.

dps
12-29-2010, 05:18 PM

The drug companies can make billions on diet pills because we're too lazy to execise like we should, and too gluttonous to eat like we should. That's not the fault of the drug companies.