PDA

View Full Version : 7.050 DT does not play using 4-3 playbook [Fixed 7.070]

olin
10-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Playing the Cowboys a couple of seasons I switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3. My second defensive tackle will go a whole year getting 0 or only 1 to 3 tackles. It's like the game doesn't realized I changed defenses and he is now in the lineup. Anyone else ever see this?

talbaghal
10-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I had the same problem with LB when switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 (using v. 7.040). He has 1 tackle through 8 games, but my other DT (who is supposed to be out) has 15 tackles and 2.5 sacks

Lex Logan
10-11-2008, 02:54 PM
You have to load the 4-3 defensive playbook. There is nothing I can find in the Help.

Click on Team, Playbook. Select one of the three defensive folders: Balanced, Run Defense, Pass Defense. Now click on Load Playbook, and select either the 4-3 playbook (100% 4-3 formations) or the Default (various formations.)

I don't think this affects Simulation Mode; I tried my first game recently in Play-by-Play mode and was very confused since all the defensive plays were using the 3-4 set. When I found Playbook, all I could see were offensive plays and formations. Clicking on Load Playbook gave "Browns", "Patriots" and "Default" as options -- nothing about defense. Finally I noticed the Folder drop-down menu at the right of the screen, and selected the Balanced folder. Still puzzled, I finally thought to try the Load Playbook again and, having selected the Balanced (defense) folder, I could load the 4-3 book.

So this isn't a bug but a severe deficiency in the Help files, coupled with an odd default to the 3-4 book even when you've selected 4-3 in the Defense Dialog.

Seems like you ought to be able to select any available playbook from the defense dialog (for use in Simulation mode) AND have that selection be your default in Play-by-Play mode. (Same thing for offense.)

Clay Dreslough
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
So this isn't a bug but a severe deficiency in the Help files, coupled with an odd default to the 3-4 book even when you've selected 4-3 in the Defense Dialog.That's a fair assessment. I was hoping to include a different playbook for every team. Instead, I came up with 3 different defensive playbooks: a 3-4, a 4-3, and a default playbook that uses both formations. The Cowboys run a 3-4, so they use the 3-4 playbook.

In any case, I'll leave this in the bugs forums because I should definitely improve the game to avoid this problem.

Clay Dreslough
11-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm adding a feature that checks to see if a team's playbook matches it's defensive system, whenever you change the defensive system. If they don't match, it gives you a message and the option to load a better playbook. This should prevent this problem in the future, without go so far as to automatically overwrite a team's playbook.